ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,500
Northern New England and Upstate New York compendium of tracks NNEUNY

Hello Everyone!

The topic of daytrips and great rides around Northern New England has been brought up recently. With that, it seems to be about time to create a compendium thread of all the GPX tracks that have been added to the "Layin' down tracks" thread, plus have a place to add in any new .GPX tracks. With that, we'll start by culling through the main thread looking for threads and posts that have either .GPX uploads, or links to Google maps, or any other source of rides in New England. How's that sound?

Please feel free to add whatever .GPX files you might have that are either all in Northern New England, or they can start somewhere else, but cross over into the land of the north.

Also, if you see any threads or posts that are out there, that you don't see here, please cut and paste them to this thread.

Oh ... Wait there's more! I'm including Upstate New York as well. The definition of what that means exactly is rather loose for now. Maybe the best answer for the moment is, if it feels like NYC, it's not Upstate.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or questions are welcome, and/or private message me.

Thanks!

Liz

EDIT:

It's my thought that this will be easy for everyone to just attach their GPX files, maybe put a little description, and go from there. Certainly a lot of you have routes that you can share.

My goal is for this to be a community thing, meaning help by posting your links, saying what you're thinking, and pushing it along. I'm just setting the tone to start it.

Also, if anyone finds any bad links, please let me know.

MsLizVt screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 07:05 AM
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

VT and NH

From theothersean

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789522

Quote:
I can not vouch for the quality or accuracy of this route from the white hores camp out to the wagon wheel campground .
I will ride it in the reverse direction to get to WHACO and report there on any discrepancies .
Attached Files
whaco to wagon wheel.gpx (226.7 KB, 73 views)

MsLizVt screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 09:47 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

here is my route from last year from Keene NH to Gorham, NH

From HenryMartin:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789522

Quote:

here is my route from last year from Keene NH to Gorham, NH

If someone wants to use it, just change your starting and ending points. The route was rather nice, with some gravel in between, scenery, and backroads. That's the one named Keene to Moose Brook.

Hope it helps someone.
Attached Files
Keene to Moose Brook.gpx (291.5 KB, 43 views)

MsLizVt screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 09:48 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Woodsville to Bath: rough class 6/ trail

EDIT: Unfortunately, all of the Trimble Outdoors files need a Trip Planner to download. Sorry, I didn't realize it, until just trying to download them. You can still see SixtyAte's great little routes.

From SixtyAte:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778655

Quote:
Woodsville to Bath: rough class 6/ trail

This is a Trimble Outdoors Link. I have no idea if anyone else on AdvRider uses it or it's compatibility. It ia however all I have, so hope it helps, and that I am putting it in an appropriate place.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1588247

MsLizVt screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 06:46 AM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

NH by SixtyAte

EDIT: Unfortunately, all of the Trimble Outdoors files need a Trip Planner to download. Sorry, I didn't realize it, until just trying to download them. You can still see SixtyAte's great little routes.

More from SixtyAte:

This is an awesome thread that SixtyAte started, with Class 6 road routes.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783894

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
I thought I would start a new thread for Class 6 roads. So here we go.

Difficulty Classification 1-6

6-Erzberg
5-Logging road with mud, rock, logs, steep grades, and thick brush.
4-Logging road with mud, rock,small logs and steep grades
3-Logging road with mud, and some rock
2-Logging Road
1-Gravel Road

Enjoyment Factor

6-Bikini's and free Beer
5-Awesome views and fun ride
4-Beat up with smile
3-Beat up with no smile
2-Broken bike
1-Broken bones

Length

Time

Cellphone reception

Local Refreshments

Potential loops

Big bike possible

So this is just a way to get started. Any thoughts or a better way, let'er rip

Quote:
Landaff, NH Cobble Hill to S.Landaff.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1625986

Trail Head from Gale Chandler Rd.

An Example of rock section

Light Mud

Difficulty-3
Enjoyment-4.5
Length-5miles of actual class 6
Time-about an hour
Cellphone-spotty but there
Local refreshments- Brick Store
Potential loops-Foster Hill Rd, Orr Hill Rd, Rail Trail, and possibly Jericho Trail ( info coming soon)
Big Bike Possible? With skills

This is a nice track. A little short, but potential loops make it worth riding. It starts out real smooth, then a little bumpy. You will come to a field then mud, possibly deep gnarly mud. From here it is a mix of all things good. At one point you will come a big right that is S.Landaff Rd. Some more varied terrain then Wendy Hill Rd, which is dirt till it turns to tarmac on Hill Rd. The descrption is from Gale Chandler to the Bath wood covered bridge.

So there we go. Kinda what I had in mind.
Quote:
Jericho Trail Rd to Merril Trail Rd

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1635282

The pictures are marked on the Trimble Map to there actual location.

Difficulty-3.5 (because of wet conditions, but usually a 3- )
Enjoyment-4.5
Length-5miles of actual class 6
Time-about an hour
Cellphone-spotty but there
Local refreshments- Brick Store
Potential loops-Foster Hill Rd, Orr Hill Rd, Rail Trail, Cobble Hill, and S.Landaff Rd.
Big Bike Possible? With skills

Skip the Moses Clark/Hawthorn part. At least until I get the bottom of the trail cleaned up, as the skidder road is about 8inches deep of wet mud.
Jericho Trail Rd. starts out on a beat up logging road (very rutty). At the first marker on the map, and obvious trail to the right it turns back into a proper Class 6 trail. Once on the trail it is a little rocky, a little muddy ( a lot muddy today), but very enjoyable. On my little bike it was plenty of fun. On the map you will see a switch back where I went too both entrances of Merrill Mountain Rd. This is a pretty short track, but combined with Cobble Hill it woul be a nice couple of hours.

MsLizVt screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 06:47 AM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Central New Hampshire and north

From JMD0261:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690856

Quote:
Sanbornton to Barlett

I was finally able to lay down a route and actually ride it. Went from Sanbornton to Mt Washington auto road this weekend and took this route on the way up. The hardest part is Mountain Trail Rd in Holderness. It was apparently washed out pretty good from tropical storm irene. We made it up no problem on the XR's but we are running non-DOT trail tires. The two sections of Mountain Trail Rd are connected by a hiking trail so watch out for hippies. Sandwich Notch Road is really great, I typically run it south to north.

Check out the attached .GPX files and let me know what you think. I'll add more when I can.

-Jason
Attached Files
Sanbornton-Square_TO_MountainRd-Holderness.gpx (55.1 KB, 127 views)
Quote:
Part 2

Mountain Road Holderness to Bear Notch
Attached Files
MountainRd-Holderness_TO_BearNotch-Bartlett.gpx (115.9 KB, 119 views)

Quote:
Part 3

302 Jefferson Notch to Mount Washington Auto Rd
Attached Files
Rt302-JeffersonNotch_TO_MtWashington.gpx (7.2 KB, 119 views)

MsLizVt screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 09:46 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

A lot of great rides around New England

From g2cnavy, a lot of great paved rides.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825563

Quote:
New England Riders Tracks

Anyone tried any of these? I ran across these tonight and thought I'd share.

http://www.newenglandriders.org/Grea...ycle_Rides.htm

MsLizVt screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 09:49 PM
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

From Canuman, a GREAT route. It might help to go to his thread for more detail:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769424

Quote:
Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

I have been putting together a route which links the Puppy Dog Route (and thus the TET) to GravelTravel.ca's TNE route. This is a preliminary file, in three sections. All of this route has been ridden within the past few years by ADV Riders. I call the resulting 525 mile route the Northern New England Adventure Trail, Or NNEAT.

It is mostly gravel, with a few technical sections, and so is fairly big-bike friendly (By this I mean big dual-sports. This is no terrain for sport bikes or cruisers.) I will post more technical routes if interest is there.

One feature a rider should pay attention to is that much of the central section goes over a mix of state, federal, and privately owned lands, and segments can be gated from time to time. The route is usually accessible between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and often later into the fall.

It is particularly important to be aware that you may be sharing the road with vehicles ranging from logging trucks to hikers. Some of these users do, in fact own the road. Pay attention and be polite. I've never been hassled, but know those that have been. Enforcement in the remote sections is generally by Fish and Game personnel. These guys have my greatest respect, but can be tough as nails, and are certainly not to be trifled with.

Although you may seem to be in the middle of nowhere, many of these routes are heavily used during the summer. It's better to obtain proper fire permits and pay camping fees, as the fines for not having them can be steep.

The first section of the route is a short connector from the top of the PDR to near my house. It is 50 miles, mostly over town-maintained gravel roads through some very nice Vermont scenery.

Per Dave's suggestion, I've eliminated a section through private property, and greatly simplified the number of points in the route. The new file is posted below, post 11. It is a preferable route.
Attached Files
Puppy Dog to Summit.gpx (569.0 KB, 287 views)

Updated Puppy Dog Route connector to avoid stretch of private property and vastly reduce the number of points can be found here:

Puppy to Summit New.gpx

Quote:
The second leg travels across some very remote country. Although there are fuel and supplies available at various points, they usually require a side-journey.

Places to fuel and eat are:

West Burke or Barton, VT
Island Pond, VT
Averill, VT
Pittsburgh, NH
Errol, NH
Eustis, ME
Stratton, ME
West Forks, ME

Much of this area is outside reliable cell service. If you have a break-down, it can be a while before anyone will wander by. Be well prepared.

The updated file, changed to avoid private lands, is in post #10.
Attached Files
Summit to Forks.gpx (311.7 KB, 153 views)

Updated version of Summit, VT to West Forks ME avoiding College Grant -- full version.

Summit to Forks Alt.gpx

Quote:
The final leg traverses wild country around the Dead and Kennebec Rivers before dipping into the more settled areas of north-central Maine, then cuts northward to the Penobscot River and beyond to the New Brunswick border. Houlton is the largest town a rider will encounter on the trip, and has a full range of goods and services. One can resupply here if one is continuing northward on GravelTravel's TNE route. www.graveltravel.ca.

The file:

Forks to Houlton.gpx

Quote:
Following an email from 9Dave, I decided to implement an alternate route from Canaan, VT to Eustis, ME. Portions of the original route go through the Dartmouth College Grant. The grant was given to the college by the king of England before the United States existed, and is maintained as a private preserve for the students and alumni. It is often gated, and is an area where one is likely to be hassled or at least questioned.

The route attached substitutes some pavement for gravel. The pavement sections are among the most scenic in New England, so I feel this is a fair trade-off. The ride through Dixville Notch is a hoot, and the ride up the Magalloway River is a scenic mix of twisties. Dual-sport suspension can be a plus here, as some of the pavement is rough enough to have one wishing for a return to gravel.

See full file for leg 2 - See above

Attached Files
Canaan Eustis Alt.gpx (10.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

NH to the Lobsterland ...

From HenryMartin:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830757

Quote:
Rindge NH to Lobster Land, big bike?

Normally, I don't have a hard time making up a route, but this is a route that goes to places/sections I'm not familiar with. I'm looking for a big bike friendly way to either Cape Porpoise ME or Rye NH with some decent unpaved sections.

This is what I came up with. Could someone more familiar with Salisbury, NH or Kennebunk ME area take a look?

Thanks
Attached Files
tentative lobster ride Rindge via Warner to Rye Beach or Cape Porpoise.gpx (543.4 KB, 143 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

two routes in NH by HenryMartin

More from HenryMartin:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843002

Quote:
Black friday route NH

This is the route I'm thinking about for this ride. Keeping in mind the 1200GSA
Attached Files
Black friday Ride.gpx (149.5 KB, 68 views)

Quote:
The route is good, except that Old County Rd after crossing 101 is GATED. We switched there to a different route to avoid any issues with trespassing on a gated road. The other route we went to is here - after coming to Temple and 101 in the original route, we went down 101 to Wilton and connected to the green route (Rindge to Ray's). Easy, smooth unpaved roads for 90% of the track.
Attached Files
tentative lobster ride Rindge via Warner to Rye Beach or Cape Porpoise.gpx (543.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Various NH ...

HenryMartin is at it again. yay!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789959

Quote:
Route suggestion for Zeeede

Zeeede, here is just a suggestion. Some gravel, some smooth twisties, some sharp twisties, some old dirt roads, and one short leg of a class VI road. But, people have done all these on a 1200GS, so just take your time. Mackey Rd and Hale Hill Rd in Troy are Class VI - read trail - but dry this time of year. Guys from Boston did it on big GS bikes, and I ride it with Anakees on my 650. Switch off your ABS on the loose rock and sand

As always, you get in trouble, you are on your own. Use the route on your own risk, et cetera.
Attached Files
boston to keene, ds.gpx (223.2 KB, 64 views)

Quote:
Zeeede, this is the smooth, two up putsing around SW NH you asked for.

It starts at Parker's Maple Barn in Mason, NH (on MA border) where you can have a hearty breakfast, takes you through backroads to Warner, NH where you can have lunch, and ends in Jaffrey, NH. From there, you can shoot to Rindge to 119 back to MA or take 124 to mason and hit MA that way.

We did most of it this morning, and it is a fun, smooth route for 2 up, with some twisty pavement in between.
Attached Files
Mason to Jaffrey via Warner.gpx (186.8 KB, 28 views)

Quote:
Here's what I ended up doing last weekend instead. It gets interesting after 101A meets 13 in Milford.
Attached Files
Boston To Hillsboro-modified.gpx (42.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Deerfield Dirt Road Randoneer

bogboy has a good route:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726659

Quote:
D2R2 = Deerfield Dirt Road Randoneer

Here is a ride in the Berkshires that is 70% dirt roads with 15,000 ft of total climbing. I did this as a bike ride in 9:15 hours. It was brutal. This bicycle ride happens every year in august and is a blast.

Ive done this on my GS as well with 2 friends and it makes for a great ride on mostly dirt. Start in Deerfield Ma. and end there as well. There are many options to bail as you cross rt. 2 a couple of times. I hope this link works, if not I will try a different link in a couple of weeks.
Attached Files
D2R2.GPX (168.5 KB, 195 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Near Unadilla NY ... nice!

CannonsvilleRider posted this route:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817360

Quote:
Hancock to Unadilla MX

Here are some dirty roads from Hancock to Sidney, the track then follows Rt 8 to the Unadilla MX track.
Attached Images

Quote:
Here is the gpx

A brief review,

From Hancock, take the back side of the river to Hales Eddy,
Backtrack on Rt 17 to Roods Creek and go over the hill to the Cannonville Reservoir,
Pick up some dirt on Dry Brook Rd, Barbour Brook Rd and Steam Mill Rd to Masonville, over the hill on Pine Hill Rd to Sidney, from there stay on Rt 8.
Attached Files
Unadilla.gpx (490.1 KB, 38 views)

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Catskills and some going to Lake Champlain

CannonsvilleRider has more in the Catskills, and some going up to Lake Champlain:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721895

Quote:
Delaware County, New York, Western Catskills

Earlier this year, I put together some dual sport loops for my local dealer who does a fine job on my "German Kawasaki". I have appended posts with the gpx files. If you don't have a tool to look at gpx files, Google Earth is free and can be downloaded here. http://www.google.com/earth/index.html
Attached Images

Quote:
Ride #1

A nice loop to get away after work. It starts and ends at the Rainbow.
Attached Files
DCounty1.gpx (350.6 KB, 172 views)

Quote:
Ride #2

This one starts at Klingers Powersports.
Attached Files
DCounty2.gpx (480.8 KB, 122 views)

Quote:
Ride #3

This tries to hit most of the dirt roads north of Walton.
Attached Files
DCounty3.gpx (393.6 KB, 126 views)

Quote:
Ride #4

This ride goes to Margaretville and Fleischmanns which suffered heavy damage last week and those roads are not currently open and not recommended.

I am revising this to include some more dirt, Dingle Hill and Jones Hollow.
Attached Files
DCounty4b.gpx (517.8 KB, 77 views)

Quote:
Ride #5

This starts in Downsville, Stevens Road and Turkey Hollow were pretty rough before Irene, they could be pretty bad now.
Attached Files
DCounty5.gpx (338.9 KB, 109 views)

Quote:
Ride #6

This starts in Corbett
Attached Files
DCounty6.gpx (211.1 KB, 109 views)

Quote:
Upper Delaware Walton NY to Stroudsburg PA

This track UpperDelaware.gpx parallels the West branch and the Upper Delaware River, with the best dirt and scenic paved sections I could find. The section of old road just south of Equinunk is frequently muddy, washed out or blocked by down trees. A good big bike bypass is to cross at the Lordville Bride, continue South and East on NY 7 and cross back at Kellams Bridge.

Scenic and historical sections include the Cannonsville Reservoir, Roeblings Bridge, Hawks Nest, DillonTown Road, and Old Mine Road.
Attached Files
UpperDelaware.gpx (1.45 MB, 84 views)

Quote:
North To Essex - Catskills to Lake Champlain

This is the sister route to the Upper Delaware track. It starts in Walton, hops over Houck Mountain, Up Rt 30 including a long section of the Pepacton Reservoir, climbs some of the hills in the Catskills, passes by John Burroughs grave and Woodchuck lodge. The section between Prattsville and North Blenheim might be the weakest part of this track. That section was hard hit last fall, and some of those road may be closed. In particular, Dave Brown Mt road was already posted as "travel at your own risk" before the floods. The track detours to Howe Caverns and Secret Caverns before entering the Adirondacks. There is a long dirt section on Piseco Road, beware of the occasional bowling ball sized rock embedded in the road. This track makes a detour to the White Face Toll road, then down through the high peaks via Keene Valley and ends with a Ferry ride across Lake Champlain. I have ridden most of it but have added some detours based on other riders reports.

as of 4/21/2012 Dave Brown Mt road is technically closed, but is passable, note that there is a huge landslide that has taken half of the road at the top.
Attached Files
WaltonToEssex.gpx (1.23 MB, 76 views)

Quote:
I can help!

I have some trouble picking 1 path though, here is my latest creation, all of the reservoirs and most of the hills in the Catskill Park.
Attached Files
CatskillGerryMander.gpx (1.22 MB, 66 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #15
MsLizVt OP
pfft ...

Port Jervis to Catskill Alternative Connector map

CannonsvilleRider with some more in the Catskills, nice job!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721895

Quote:
Port Jervis to Catskill Alternative

Here is an alternate route that goes through some higher elevations and less populated areas.

My reasoning
  1. The state road sections have to include Rt 10 at the Cannonsville Reservoir, and Rt 30 at the Pepacton Reservoir.
  2. The Ulster county roads 42 and 47 trisecting the Catskills are a must.
  3. The Catskill Escarpment should be exited by the most spectacular route, Platte Cove Road.
  4. For primitive dirt sections, we need the back river road south of Lordsville and Rock Rift Mountain Road.
  5. For maintained dirt, we need Mary Smith Road, Shin Creek and Cross Mountain Road.
Updated gps on April 11 2012

Quote:
Port Jervis to Catskill Alternative Connector map

This route meanders but I really like it, for me the best roads are the ones that have to follow some natural feature like a river, a hollow or a hill. This is nice combination of twisty roads, dirt and scenic views.

These are some sections from the paved portion that I took a few years ago.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...13928483143698

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...11391812583442

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...13326668873746

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...14250718609426

Black track - blacktop
20 Red tracks - maintained dirt
2 Green tracks - two track non graded dirt
20 Blue tracks - paved Scenic sections
Attached Images

Quote:
Gpx that is supposed to be attached to post 22 is missing

retrying