Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #466
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdthorpe View Post
I'm headed out to Silverton in July with some friends and I can't wait! We have XR's and this is my plea:

I can't seem to find any definitive intel on what our jetting should be for this trip. My worry is that our bikes; which our tuned well for Ga elevation, will bog down and really spoil another otherwise fantastic trip. Can anyone point me to a jetting guide for 10k elevation? I'd really like to do it all before I get there, trial and error isn't my cup of tea...
Call Dynojet and they will send you exactly what you need based on elevation, exhaust, de-smogged, etc. I think we jetted ours for 8,000 ft and it was fine but we also drove out from Denver, based in Ouray.

You could also call the Montrose Honda dealer, Davis Service center, good people, I'm sure they willtell ya what jets are right - http://www.davisservicecenter.com/

KHVol screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 04:02 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #467
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
From stock jetting :

I've heard 1 size leaner on the Main ...
& 1-2 sizes Richer on the Pilot.

Sounds wrong to me, but this is what they say
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #468
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
I'm headed out to Silverton in July with some friends and I can't wait! We have XR's and this is my plea:

I can't seem to find any definitive intel on what our jetting should be for this trip. My worry is that our bikes; which our tuned well for Ga elevation, will bog down and really spoil another otherwise fantastic trip. Can anyone point me to a jetting guide for 10k elevation? I'd really like to do it all before I get there, trial and error isn't my cup of tea...
I've used and really like JD Jetting. They will have everything you need for any elevation you will encounter. Very easy, just follow the instructions. Last year I took three bikes to CO and like a dummy ran off with out my jet kit. I had JD Jetting send a kit to Leadville PO.

Installed my jets camping at Turquoise Lake near Leadville (good place to camp). Then rode a great loop to Aspen, Pearl Pass, single track on the other side back to Aspen, hard top to Basalt and back over Hagerman pass to camp. Bike ran like a top. Here is a pic in the Silverton area for you to dream on.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 06:24 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #469
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
.... Then rode a great loop to Aspen, Pearl Pass, single track on the other side back to Aspen, hard top to Basalt and back over Hagerman pass to camp....
You wouldn't have the GPS tracks for that would ya?!?
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #470
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:

for the San Juans you should shoot for 13k elevations.... a few of the good ones are just under 13k and a couple are just over 13k. I've had my bike run great up to 12k and struggle to get over Imogene's last approach.

An example of how I jetted my XR600 and XR628:

Stock main 152, FMF Q2 and Powerbomb header, NoToil filter with skin.
152 would get noticably fat and affect rideability over 10k ft.
148 ran good to 13k and up (Imogene) and worked well at 4,000 ft (Moab)

Jetting changes on an XR are pretty simple to make - bring a few mains and a couple of pilots and change if you need to. Going 1 leaner on the main should work.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #471
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Just be careful about jetting too lean, you will cross passes 12,000 ft or so but most of the time you will be below that and you don't want to be too lean most of the time.

If you base out of Ouray you will be a little over 8,000 feet. If you are going to be running on the road from trail to trail, say around Montrose, you will be even "lower" and running at speeds from 55 to 65 mph.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #472
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
You wouldn't have the GPS tracks for that would ya?!?
No, just followed the Colorado State Highway map (it's a good map, get one on line) for the main stuff and Latitude 40 maps for the single track.

Seems like after Pearl Pass on the Crested Butte side I turned left on 400 and followed my nose. Into this...

Beautiful isolated valleys behind this, below and east of Pearl.

Dropped down into this and left as it started raining.

Bearing left (west) I came out at Taylor Pass, rode down into Aspen west of town like I came in and off to Basalt.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 09:42 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #473
CU2151
n00b

Oddometer: 8
This thread got me fired up about moving back to Colorado. Can't wait for June to get here!
CU2151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #474
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Just be careful about jetting too lean, you will cross passes 12,000 ft or so but most of the time you will be below that and you don't want to be too lean most of the time.

If you base out of Ouray you will be a little over 8,000 feet. If you are going to be running on the road from trail to trail, say around Montrose, you will be even "lower" and running at speeds from 55 to 65 mph.
should not be an issue....going from 152 to 148 worked for the 13k elevations and I ran it all over Colorado and down to 4,000 ft in Moab with excellent results.
Going to Baja and running at sea level I just went up to 155 and 158
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #475
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Planning for 2014

I am getting some route planning for 2014 started and I was wondering what maps you use for that area. Does the Lattitude 40 maps cover the whole area?
Thanks a billion
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #476
Secondtear
Secondtear

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeebs38 View Post
Shouldn't be.... just might be once in a life time trip...

Hey love this thread and we are coming to CO in June maybe the 3rd week. Let me jump to the question. 4-6 guys we want to rent a home base in a town or out in the woods (that is the question, which one) where we can ride out of each day and see as much of the good stuff as possible.

Bikes: KTM 690 Endure or lighter...
Skill: I would like to think better then the avg Bear.
Physical shape: Most of us should come back alive.

Type of riding - Most of what I saw in this tread is perfect... Not looking for wide open gravel road but more challenging.

Here is the catch.... 2 people are driving out with trailer (from NC) and bikes while the rest of us fly into Denver (cheapest) or unless you guy say "Hey Clayton fly into telluride well worth it" Is this possible or a good idea in your books? My thought is if some whats to take a day off having a home base is the way to go... We have 7 days.

Finally I guess drive time from Denver to Lake City or Ouray (name the town) is a bit of a consideration as well as want to ride more and drive less:)

Thanks for your input!

Clayton
I rented a cool cabin in WhitePine which is just west of Monarch Pass. There's good rideing (Tomichi, Hancock, St elmo) out the front door and it's relatively accessible to places like Salida, Tincup, Pitkin, and even Crested Butte (about 60 or 70 miles, I think). If you google "Tomichi Cabin" you should find it.
Secondtear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #477
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Great thread here mate.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #478
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
should not be an issue....going from 152 to 148 worked for the 13k elevations and I ran it all over Colorado and down to 4,000 ft in Moab with excellent results.
Going to Baja and running at sea level I just went up to 155 and 158
So just to be clear, I'm at 55 and 158 now at sea level. You would suggest 148 main? Thanks for the advice!
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #479
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
pick any of these places and have a nice soak at the end of each days ride:
http://boxcanyonouray.com/
http://www.orvishotsprings.com/lodging.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Silverton or Ouray are the places to stay....in Ouray we prefer to stay in the Comfort Inn, Ted and Betty are great people and motorcyclists too. Step out of your room and just look up into the mtn tops, feels like you can touch the mtns from your front door. We have also rented a house there..

http://www.ouraycolorado.com/ouray-lodging/cabins-condos-homes.php

We have flown into Montrose which is only 45 mins from Ouray...another thought is to fly into Denver and sample the riding from Denver to Ouray...Monarch Pass, Old Monarch Pass is a great dirt road, Tincup, Taylor Reservoir, Pitkin Cumberland Pass, etc..there is a lot of great riding starting 90 mins out of Denver.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #480
cpeebs38
Say what....

Oddometer: 63
Big thanks to co geek

6 Guys and 7 days in Ouray, CO. A quick video. Great Time thanks to the planning help on this tread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KGya...GVE8UbsnsP3QSg

Thanks CO Geek!
cpeebs38 is offline   Reply With Quote