Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Viperject OP
finally dirty

Oddometer: 47
Bought a Garmin 60Cx two years ago...

... and still haven't used it. See THREAD.

Every time I take it out of the box and try to use it, I become more confused than the last time I looked at it and put it back in the box. Likewise, the more I read (online and in the owner's manual) and the more instructional Youtube videos I watch, the more discouraged I become and... I put it back in the box.

I bought an 8GB SD card to replace the original 64MB, and the only software included with the unit was a Mapsource Trip & Waypoint Manager. Its displays are extremely vague and it doesn't even recognize the 60Cx when I plug it in.

I've gotten by for years with an Atlas, forest service maps, handwritten notes in a tank bag, and an uncanny internal compass, but I would like to finally use this thing. I want to create my own routes/tracks, I want to download/import/whatever tracks from other riders, and I want simple turn-by-turn directions using just starting and destination addresses.

Exactly what software do I need to buy/download?
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,873
Get yourself Garmin City Navigator NT on a DVD, install it to your computer, download maps to your GPS, and then start playing with both the GPS unit and the mapping program. You can use either Mapsource or Basecamp on your computer if you have a PC. You will find that many folks have a preference. I like Mapsource.

Then get in the cage, have someone else drive, and play with the thing while in motion.

That's how many of us learned to use them.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Viperject OP
finally dirty

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Get yourself Garmin City Navigator NT on a DVD, install it to your computer, download maps to your GPS, and then start playing with both the GPS unit and the mapping program. You can use either Mapsource or Basecamp on your computer if you have a PC. You will find that many folks have a preference. I like Mapsource.
Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Mapso...item4845b2adcc

But what do I need for off-road use, something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-TOPO-...item5652b0c9cc

And does my current Trip & Waypoint Manager figure into any of this?
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperject View Post
does my current Trip & Waypoint Manager figure into any of this?
YOu don't get turn by turn with Tracks, that is Routes and you must have routing map like City Nav downloaded.

Trip and Waypoint is just the PC program portion of any Mapsource version (City Nav) without the maps.

For best Off-Highway (offroad is ilegal) maps I use very old Roads & Rec. It is 1980s USGS 1:100,000 maps without topo lines. It shows almost every legal open trail or jeep road in any national forest.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,873
Quote:
Yes - This will give you the ability to autoroute and will also give you current information on points of interest (gas stations, camp grounds, restaurants, etc.) The POI information is not always 100% accurate, but it's pretty good

Quote:
But what do I need for off-road use, something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-TOPO-...item5652b0c9cc
You can always get TOPO. Depending on what kind of off road uses you are plannning, it may provide you with good info. As the title says, it has the topo lines, so it can be useful if you are into using topo maps. It also has a lot of the smaller old roads and tracks that may or may not show up on City Nav. Just recognize that some may not be public roads.

I do have a copy of the old Roads & Rec that I keep loaded as well, but what I usually find is for the areas I frequent, City Nav does me just fine.

I also carry a copy of the Delorme Gazetteer for the area I am riding in, so I can find little stuff on that.

Quote:
And does my current Trip & Waypoint Manager figure into any of this?
IMHO - no. Use it as a coaster. Whatever map data you purchase will come with Mapsource and/or Basecamp.

I don't buy my map data off ebay for a couple reasons, the biggest of which is that I like to support the guys who are stocking what I need. i don't know the sellers in those ads. I'd make sure they are authorized retailers just in case you have any issues.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Moto Vaquero
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 295
Start Here:

"There are many settings that you should make on your 60/76x.

Go to DualSportWest.com and click on GPS and take my step by step class on set up."

Countdown sent this to me yesterday. It's very simple and concise to help set up your 60Cx to make it easier to use.

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote