ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #1186
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Sounds like he has been loading with H110 too, I don't think you can go much slower burning in 357.

Which is a bummer, as I want one of the revolver caliber carbines but they don't appear to be all that accurate.
__________________


El Guero screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 10:30 AM
El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #1187
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Sounds like he has been loading with H110 too, I don't think you can go much slower burning in 357.

Which is a bummer, as I want one of the revolver caliber carbines but they don't appear to be all that accurate.
While I don't have empirical data to support this, my 'sense' is that I got somewhat better results shooting a 44 Mag out of a bolt-action rifle/carbine than results with various 357 caliber rifles seem to demonstrate. And I know that I get even better results with the 500 S&W Magnum round out of an H&R HandiRifle than I did with the 357 in the Marlin. I'm not sure why this is. Rifle variables or something inherent in the cartridge? I remember that a number of years back Ruger chambered their excellent No. 1 single-shot in 357 Magnum. I wonder how well those shoot? I've had excellent results wiht the No.1 in rifle calibers (7mm Remington Mag, 270, 375H&H and 9.3x74R).
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #1188
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
I just generally assume that it has something to do with bullet design. Probably 99% of bullets fired through a 357 rifle were designed to be shot from a revolver within 50 yards. At a minimum I imagine that the increased velocity would affect the accuracy of even the most thoughtfully designed pistol bullet. I'd like to see people shoot more with the Hornady pointed bullets to see if that helped at all.
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #1189
pilot
Slackin' again
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 30,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I just generally assume that it has something to do with bullet design. Probably 99% of bullets fired through a 357 rifle were designed to be shot from a revolver within 50 yards. At a minimum I imagine that the increased velocity would affect the accuracy of even the most thoughtfully designed pistol bullet. I'd like to see people shoot more with the Hornady pointed bullets to see if that helped at all.
That is possible, but people use 357 pistol bullets in the 35 Remington rifle with good results.
__________________
"In order for one person to get a thing without paying for it, another person must pay for that thing without getting it"
Walter Williams

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #1190
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
That is possible, but people use 357 pistol bullets in the 35 Remington rifle with good results.
At .35 Remington velocities? I guess it could work, I really don't know anything about bullet design
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #1191
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
VegasKLRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 2,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
At .35 Remington velocities? I guess it could work, I really don't know anything about bullet design
I have loaded practice rounds for my .35 Whelen using 158gr XTP's, but I limit velocity to less than 2000fps. Not super accurate, but not too bad.
__________________
I was born... I shall die... but the time in between is mine.


WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #1192
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 11,548
Question for you loading Gurus - when buying new equipment, is it a good idea to stick with the same brand for the major components - like press, dies and shell holders, or can you mix and match?

I did not get a straight answer from my local gun dealer and of course the Lyman reloading book suggests - Lyman. Not that I'm adverse to buying their stuff, but it's mostly mail order whereas I can get RCBS stuff at the local store.

Another question regarding die setup - once a die is adjusted in the press, it looks like there's a locking collar - I assume this allows you to reset the die at the proper location each time you reuse it? That would seem to obviate the need for a turret style press for most reloading purposes, correct?

Although there's no loading materials out there so I'm not sure this goes anywhere.

Thanks.
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #1193
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Question for you loading Gurus - when buying new equipment, is it a good idea to stick with the same brand for the major components - like press, dies and shell holders, or can you mix and match?

I did not get a straight answer from my local gun dealer and of course the Lyman reloading book suggests - Lyman. Not that I'm adverse to buying their stuff, but it's mostly mail order whereas I can get RCBS stuff at the local store.

Another question regarding die setup - once a die is adjusted in the press, it looks like there's a locking collar - I assume this allows you to reset the die at the proper location each time you reuse it? That would seem to obviate the need for a turret style press for most reloading purposes, correct?

Although there's no loading materials out there so I'm not sure this goes anywhere.

Thanks.
All of the stuff for standard presses (pretty much everything but some progressives like the Dillon Square Deal and the Star) use the same dies and shell holders. That means you can use whichever you like. I prefer Lee dies, and their presses if you are going single stage. The dies are a bit cheaper than the others, and I like the O-ring equipped locking nuts. As you surmise, these are so you can reset the dies in the same position each use. The Lee lock nuts are a bit easier to use IMHO. Some Lee dies also come with shell holders as well.

I like a single stage press for rifle stuff, and a progressive for straight wall pistol loads.
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #1194
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer
 
PunkinHead's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Walmart Shoppers
Oddometer: 5,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Question for you loading Gurus - when buying new equipment, is it a good idea to stick with the same brand for the major components - like press, dies and shell holders, or can you mix and match?
No problem mixing and matching. I have a hodgepodge of Lee & RCBS.
Quote:
Another question regarding die setup - once a die is adjusted in the press, it looks like there's a locking collar - I assume this allows you to reset the die at the proper location each time you reuse it?
In theory. In practice (for me at least) die setup is so fast it doesn't matter.

Quote:
That would seem to obviate the need for a turret style press for most reloading purposes, correct?
Maybe share a bit about your plans. Rifle? Pistol? Reloading a ton? Reloading lower quantities but focused on accuracy? Something in between?
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #1195
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 11,548
Well, not having loaded before. My initial goal is to save some bucks on shooting ammo - certainly would load for my .40 S&W, maybe my 9MM. I suppose that this could be 300 rounds a week between the two if I had the materials.

For rifle, I'd like to load for my .30-30 just for plinking ammo, and might want to load lower power loads for a .30-06 - the hunting loads hurt too much for fun shooting.

Future goal is to get a target rifle in .308, but that may be down the road.

I imagine that I would probably want to start to use cast bullets to save additional bucks, and would consider doing my own casting at some point.

All of this is tempered by the fact that no loading materials are available....
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #1196
pilot
Slackin' again
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 30,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

All of this is tempered by the fact that no loading materials are available....
You can start picking up tools while you wait for components. If you want to cast, go to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php and do some reading.
__________________
"In order for one person to get a thing without paying for it, another person must pay for that thing without getting it"
Walter Williams

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #1197
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motor31's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wherever we park - full time RV'ers
Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Question for you loading Gurus - when buying new equipment, is it a good idea to stick with the same brand for the major components - like press, dies and shell holders, or can you mix and match?

I did not get a straight answer from my local gun dealer and of course the Lyman reloading book suggests - Lyman. Not that I'm adverse to buying their stuff, but it's mostly mail order whereas I can get RCBS stuff at the local store.

Another question regarding die setup - once a die is adjusted in the press, it looks like there's a locking collar - I assume this allows you to reset the die at the proper location each time you reuse it? That would seem to obviate the need for a turret style press for most reloading purposes, correct?

Although there's no loading materials out there so I'm not sure this goes anywhere.

Thanks.
I have a mix of various brands of equipment. The only real place you could get into trouble is if you buy a press that requires a proprietary locking style. As long as you use a press that has the universal thread style you can use just about any die you want. I have them from RCBS, LEE and even Herters form the 70's all working fine in a Dillon progressive (450) and RCBS press.

Some of my dies are set and locked down, like the 9mm, 45, 40S&W since I don't change the loads. The case stays the same size, assuming you trim properly when needed. The only time you might need to reset the die is changing bullets size / weight / design and can require resetting the die. Same for switching from 38 to 357 or 44 special to 44 mag since the cases are different lengths.

Note that if you load cast lead slugs and they have a heavy lube on them you can get a build up of lube on the seating die that can change the seating depth if you do not pay attention.
__________________
Wherever we go, there we are.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #1198
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 11,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
I have a mix of various brands of equipment. The only real place you could get into trouble is if you buy a press that requires a proprietary locking style.

SNIP

Note that if you load cast lead slugs and they have a heavy lube on them you can get a build up of lube on the seating die that can change the seating depth if you do not pay attention.
I've seen one Mfg, I think Orange in color, has a quick change bushing design, but they look like they are the only ones with that special item. It looks like the bushing holds the standard dies.

Thanks for the reminder on lead lube - that would be a lousy lesson to learn on the 9 or .40 given how small those cases are.

Looking at the hardware required to do the job, I'm thinking a Lyman set including the case trimmer looks like a pretty good setup to start with - they seem to be the only kits with a case trimmer standard. I know there's a pack of stuff that has to be added to that, shell holders, die sets, caliper and priming system...

Without shopping for all of the hardware items individually, is there anyone who averages lower prices than Midway?
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #1199
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 4,463
with skyrocketing prices for ammo ... .223 used to be one would do special loads for more accuracy or different weight bullets to justify hassles of reloading .223 .. not to save $$$.

now days it's common to pay $1 per round for .223 ... making it economically desirable to reload even .223.

good thing I'm covered with reloading components ... have not purchased or sold anything since this scare started...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1200
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I've seen one Mfg, I think Orange in color, has a quick change bushing design, but they look like they are the only ones with that special item. It looks like the bushing holds the standard dies.

Thanks for the reminder on lead lube - that would be a lousy lesson to learn on the 9 or .40 given how small those cases are.

Looking at the hardware required to do the job, I'm thinking a Lyman set including the case trimmer looks like a pretty good setup to start with - they seem to be the only kits with a case trimmer standard. I know there's a pack of stuff that has to be added to that, shell holders, die sets, caliper and priming system...

Without shopping for all of the hardware items individually, is there anyone who averages lower prices than Midway?
Orange color stuff is usually Lyman. You might want to look at the Lee case trimmers. They are IMHO easier to use than the Lyman style trimmers, and can be used in a drill if you plan to trim a lot. Cheap, too.

If you are going to load for a .40 or 9mm, check your pistol's rifling to make sure that it is not polygon style rifling ala Glock. If it is that type, you will probably want to avoid lead bullets. They tend to lead up badly even with mild loads.
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014