User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #151
APC Rally
Banned

Oddometer: 784
waypoints

When adding waypoints on mapsource you just need to do the following.
1.open up mapsource and find the file with the track you want to work on.
2. Once the map has come up zoom into about 300m on the section you want to mark a way point.
3.In the tool bar you will see an arrow ,select this arrow then simply left click where you want the waypoint.
4.A description will be required just use the name of the town and then fuel. If you just write fuel each time it wont work because it will tell you that a wayopoint called fuel alreadt exists.
p.s when i cant remember exactly where it was I use "where is" then type in the name of the town and fuel and it will give me the exact location. You then go back to your mapsource programm and mark it.

On the gps it is usually too much of a pain to write descriptions for waypoints because you just want to keep riding. Waht i do is simply mark them on the gps by simply hitting "mark" then enter . This will just give the waypoint a number. I carry a small notebook and pen and then when i pull up for whatever reason i will write down a description and the numbers of the waypoints I just marked in the last hour.

If any of your routes have entered any private property where you thought it could be a bit dodgy on having permission i would advise not to post them. Goodluck and just call me if you hit trouble.
Another tip is fuel ranges if possible should be mentioned in another waypoint marked next to the fuel stop way point.
APC Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #153
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
These links highlight a small problem with the site - they just take me to the front page, not to the actual track. No doubt I could search for them and find them, but when there are thousands of tracks that could be difficult.

Is there any way around this?
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #154
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn View Post
These links highlight a small problem with the site - they just take me to the front page, not to the actual track. No doubt I could search for them and find them, but when there are thousands of tracks that could be difficult.

Is there any way around this?
The links posted were back to the administration page for each track, which it won't let you go to unless you are the 'owner' of the track. The admin section does have a specific address to 'view' just the one track, so people can check that their tracks have uploaded correctly, but it is not available as an option to the general public at the mo. I should be able to make a public version of it though.

I think I've nailed the IE8 display problem, just need to get Bull600 to check it.

Thanks for the extra tracks guys, we are now up to 80. I'm thinking I might update the first message in this thread to be an 'index' of all the tracks so that newcomers to the thread will be able to get a quick idea of the number and range of tracks on the site. Then as I notice new tracks get added, I will add a note about them at the end of the thread to keep it current (plus update the main index).

You might notice I'm editing some of the track names. I'm trying to keep them consistent as 'Start point, intermediate points, Finish point'. Then if you want the options for rides from Adelaide, they are all listed together.

Looking at some of these tracks I can't help thinking that retirement is looking good, and taking up the honorary post of Trans Australia Trails Quality Assurance Officer could be the go for the next few years checking them all out. That, plus going to every brewery in the '300 beers to try before you die' could see me out nicely.

Cheers
Peter
Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #155
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWebtrax View Post
The links posted were back to the administration page for each track, which it won't let you go to unless you are the 'owner' of the track. The admin section does have a specific address to 'view' just the one track, so people can check that their tracks have uploaded correctly, but it is not available as an option to the general public at the mo. I should be able to make a public version of it though.

I think I've nailed the IE8 display problem, just need to get Bull600 to check it.

Thanks for the extra tracks guys, we are now up to 80. I'm thinking I might update the first message in this thread to be an 'index' of all the tracks so that newcomers to the thread will be able to get a quick idea of the number and range of tracks on the site. Then as I notice new tracks get added, I will add a note about them at the end of the thread to keep it current (plus update the main index).

You might notice I'm editing some of the track names. I'm trying to keep them consistent as 'Start point, intermediate points, Finish point'. Then if you want the options for rides from Adelaide, they are all listed together.

Looking at some of these tracks I can't help thinking that retirement is looking good, and taking up the honorary post of Trans Australia Trails Quality Assurance Officer could be the go for the next few years checking them all out. That, plus going to every brewery in the '300 beers to try before you die' could see me out nicely.

Cheers
Peter
Good work Peter, and thanks again.
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #156
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another note to those posting new rides up.

As mentioned in the ever-so-helpful pop-up help box, don't create new tags for the various locations/towns on the ride. We could end up with a tag for every town in Australia! And it would make it very hard to find the more generic tags we are trying to put in there.

So the only 'locations' that should be in tags are for iconic places like the Simpson Desert, Cape York, etc.

For searchers, the locations should be findable by entering them into the search box for either the title or the description.

If you think this is a problem, get back to me and we'll try to find a solution.

Cheers
Peter
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #157
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Great site Peter. Let's hope more get on board and add their tracks. I certainly will be

Cheers

Quote:

As mentioned in the ever-so-helpful pop-up help box, don't create new tags for the various locations/towns on the ride. We could end up with a tag for every town in Australia! And it would make it very hard to find the more generic tags we are trying to put in there.

So the only 'locations' that should be in tags are for iconic places like the Simpson Desert, Cape York, etc.

For searchers, the locations should be findable by entering them into the search box for either the title or the description.

If you think this is a problem, get back to me and we'll try to find a solution.

Cheers
Peter
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #158
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Peter, I can test browsers if need be, I use linux, WinXP IE8 and have clients with MAC & Win 7
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #159
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:

noted and done. great work so far, peter. much appreciated! i'll see if i can get some other guys to share tracks as well. i'll certainly post more as i explore new areas.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #160
Stumblebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Track limit?

Guys I reckon TAT is awesome! I am just not sure if I am doing things right as I have never seen more than exactly 100 tracks on there is this coincidence and that is the complete list of tracks or am I doing something wrong.

Off for a ride next week to check a few routes I have planned and then I hope to Upload them after I have checked out if they go over cliffs or through crazy hillbillies front porches. Hope I can give back as some oft the trails have started from TAT ones.

"Time flies when having fun" I think this day will never end.
Stumblebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #161
Stumblebike
Adventurer

Unable to display track?

TAT also has been coming up with "Unable to display Track" on some tracks. have they been taken down it is not many just a few for example Maleny - Peachester.

Any ideas.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #162
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebike View Post
Guys I reckon TAT is awesome! I am just not sure if I am doing things right as I have never seen more than exactly 100 tracks on there is this coincidence and that is the complete list of tracks or am I doing something wrong.
Good spot...

It looks like there are about 130 tracks in there.

If you search by state or anything else you should get all the tracks that match the search. But that's not an excuse for not showing the lot on the front page. Although at some stage I will probably need to limit the number I show there as the page gets bigger.

I'll have to have a search to find out where the 100 limit is.

Cheers
Pete
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #163
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebike View Post
TAT also has been coming up with "Unable to display Track" on some tracks. have they been taken down it is not many just a few for example Maleny - Peachester.

Any ideas.
Yep, there are some that won't display.

You can usually still download them, but that doesn't help if you want to see them on the map with others.

I just checked the Maleny -Peachester one, and it looks like it is due to a measly little "&" in the description of one point. Apparently that is enough to stop it displaying. I'm relying on GoogleMaps displaying the KML version of the file, so if it ends up with text in it that Google doesn't like, it won't display.

I'll try to see if there is a common problem that I can filter out when I do the conversion. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment to do it, so can't promise any quick fixes.

Cheers
Pete
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #164
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
I was reading an RR report from Sth Africa and the way they were using Tracks For Africa and realised how invaluable this could be for not only ourselves but people planning on coming to tour Oz. We should get more behind the idea
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #165
Stumblebike
Adventurer

Nice Work on TAT

I can now see all the tracks pop up (132 of them now). Great work, thanks for fixing this Hope to add a few more to the list soon.
Cheers