Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #2131
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
I had a few hours in the shed on Saturday.

After a thorough clean I removed the damaged radiator. I am hoping a local bloke can do some aluminium welding on the pipe /tank junction.

I ordered a new radiator cap and tank mount.

Just to keep BRR happy I rewired a few accessories and covered the wires with some protective tubing. it looks neat now.

I removed my Whipps alloy rear carrier and motobagz pannier struts.
IMO the whipps is fine for a small load , but not wide enough to carry a duffle bag. Mine touched the pipe and burnt a hole in it last ride. I have installed a rear carrier and side pannier racks from moto-racks.com. They are heavier but it will give me less hassle with load shifting in rough terrain.

I probably should have bought a giant loop bag. It would have suited my set up better.

Now it is off to the uphosterer to shave an inch off my bike seat foam and remove a buckle from my Steel Pony pannier bags. It is a design fault in that the buckle is right where my butt sits. The buckle should be closer to the bag itself to avoid this issue.
sounds like you almost needed the buckle removing from your butt
thanks for re wiring your bike too, now we wont loose precious time waiting for you to organise your electronics etc.... now only have to wait for you to pick up bike......but I forgot convieniently about others waiting for me...on last ride...
good thing this is written in jest and I know by now that you are not easily offended and won't take any of my needless and somewhat harsh critisizm to heart.....no more sniggerring about XR's total shambles/ "wiring job" ok?
bloody GTR riders, whats the world coming too.....!!!!!

Oz Nutter screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 04:28 AM
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #2132
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
I had a few hours in the shed on Saturday.

The buckle should be closer to the bag itself to avoid this issue.
Suggest you get them to put adjustable straps on both ends of the buckle, with a good bit of extra strap to position it for "personal comfort"......

A better, neater handle bar wiring birdsnest?

On another note, anybody know where to go looking on an XR250L carbie to clean & inspect the idle circuit jets, idles roughly and cuts out, but is fine off the idle.

Still got the jitters this morning from using a 50 ft cherry picker to prune big trees yesterday in 35km/hr winds
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #2133
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 683
Talking

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867713

Just a timely reminder boys to why we ride and what CAN happen .
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #2134
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
3 days

Bruising is usually the worst at day three post injury. I am sorry to hear about your brother's misfortune. Any crash you walk away from (eventually) is O.K.

I had a lot of trouble weight bearing on my left foot after day two on the APC. I had no option but to put the bike down if I stopped with my weight on that side.

My bike is a work in progress. Not many projects work out in one go and they look a bit gumby at times while the gremlins are being eliminated.

The wiring has a lead for a 12 V cigarette plug for UHF batteries, mobile/camera recharger, hard wire to GPS, heated grips. They all have in line fuses fitted.

I am still not sure if the heated grips are working yet.

The rear rack and pannier rack issue is sorted. I am hoping the 1 inch foam shaved from the seat will get me a bit more stable when stopping. High seat height never worried me on lighter bikes but the DRZ when fueled up is heavy.

I liked that old front Michelin Starcross HP4 of yours Slow. It is still serviceable after a lot of Kms. BRR has got a lot of Kms out of his D606 rear tyre and it usually seems to keep him on track until recently. I think it was a matter of shock when he overtook a Husaberg 550 and a KTM690 on his DR650 that lead to his tumble.
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #2135
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Talking

Thanks XR, my brothers keen to get back in the saddle so not to lose too much confidence in his riding ability but that will have to wait until he get another bike.

Must get myself another Michelin HP4 starcross, awesome tyre so i'm glad your enjoying it XR .

And as for bags, http://adventuremoto.com.au/ has a run-out special on Gaint Loop bags at this moment on all 2012 stock, now i'm just waiting for my Great basin bag to turn up in the mail with some extra goodies packed in for good measure .
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #2136
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Grampians fire.

Woohlpooer, looking out towards the Victorian range. The outline you can see at the base of the range is where the fire stopped and burnt along the top towards Glenisla.

A siding just north of Tea tree creek.

Swamp area south of Glenisla.

Fire had jumped the Henty Hwy south of Glenisla, endandering nearby residents and the Black range state park.

Looking towards the Black range from the Henty Hwy.

This was the only section the fire had crossed the highway and was able to be contained within the Grampians national park. Most roads leading into the Victorian range are closed and will be for some time until a cleanup is completed.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #2137
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

seat mod and new racks on DRZ400

You can see th enew wiring and the stepped seat. I have shaved 1 inch off the front section which allows me to stand on the balls of my feet with street shoes. This is showing th etank with 21 L in it. 1L reserve ( plus 1L that is impossible to access easily) plus 20 L. I marked reserve +10 and +20L so I have an idea of how much fuel is left.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #2138
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

More DRZ shots

This is an image of the new rear rack and side racks. They sent me a connector behind the rear wheel to stiffen up the racks. It was free so I fitted it. It will be useful for pullin git out of bogs, loading into the van etc.

Can you see any spaghetti wiring? I should check out how you guys have your grip heaters wired. Is there a hole in the handle bars for internal wiring?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #2139
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

[/QUOTE]

This is an image of the new rear rack and side racks. They sent me a connector behind the rear wheel to stiffen up the racks. It was free so I fitted it. It will be useful for pullin git out of bogs, loading into the van etc.

Can you see any spaghetti wiring? I should check out how you guys have your grip heaters wired. Is there a hole in the handle bars for internal wiring?[/QUOTE]

Going to the Port folky fairy festival Sunday?
No hole on handle bars, just neat wiring.
Seat looks good, better than wearing your platform soled adv boots. Have you ordered another battery, after several dead flattenings by the digital Speedo your original is like the country...
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #2140
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Going to the Port folky fairy festival Sunday?

Maybe in the afternoon I will be able to fit a trip to the festival in. I am cookiung breakfast for sea cadets until 9 a.m. Sunday . They are having a sailing regatta in Portland. Do we have to wear saffron robes in Pt. Fairy?

Have you ordered another battery, after several dead flattenings by the digital Speedo your original is like the country...[/QUOTE]

Flat? Nah I am keping it on the battery tender. This electronic speedo is too damn complex for me.

I should have the bike back togethe soon. I am waiting on the welder guy to seal the pipe/ radiator tank junction. Once that is installed I will be good to go.

Have you guys ever heard of anyone hitting the oil coolers on the DR650? They sit out there like the balls on that bull in Birchip. I bent the one on the RS model I had after a hit with a stick poking out of the edge of a trail, but I wasn't going all that fast. (Too scared to on that thing)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #2141
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,327
Harden up Princess

No grip heaters here......your little dentist hands are too soft.....maybe you should buy a Beemer!!

Seat mod looks good and the racks look pretty substantial.....did you weigh them before installation??

Doing a neat wiring job makes it look professional and when done right, makes it easier to work on, less likely of any pinches or mishaps and just simply looks good.

No issues with the cooler, I know slow has made up a shield for the front of his but they seem pretty well tucked in and a guard around them, plus the whopping Safari would probably go first...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #2142
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post
No grip heaters here......your little dentist hands are too soft.....maybe you should buy a Beemer!!

After I hit 60 I might consider it; especially if it has wine rack like Bruce's 800.

Seat mod looks good and the racks look pretty substantial.....did you weigh them before installation??

I reckon they will be about double the weight of what I had before, but they will work and keep the luggage out of the exhaust.

Doing a neat wiring job makes it look professional and when done right, makes it easier to work on, less likely of any pinches or mishaps and just simply looks good.

Agreed!

No issues with the cooler, I know slow has made up a shield for the front of his but they seem pretty well tucked in and a guard around them, plus the whopping Safari would probably go first...
In my recent experience the Safari tank mount can break and then transmit force to the radiator/oil cooler. I had a stick go though a radiator in the Otways many moons ago. it was pointing towards me as I drifted to the outside of the corner under power (KTM250). That sort of thing needs a solid guard to protect the cooler.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #2143
The Cougar
Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer: 421
oil cooler guards

XR,
Check out the oil cooler guards made by fellow inmate mcperformance in the oz vendors section. He rides a DR 650 himself and makes some good gear.

One on my DR when bought it and well made/

regards
The Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #2144
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
In my recent experience the Safari tank mount can break and then transmit force to the radiator/oil cooler. I had a stick go though a radiator in the Otways many moons ago. it was pointing towards me as I drifted to the outside of the corner under power (KTM250). That sort of thing needs a solid guard to protect the cooler.

XR, have you got new tank mounts on the way?
That LH one is pretty busted up.
Went out into the little desert, found an awesome dozer track around the recent fire due to the dry conditions it razed everything to black carbon, who has to pay the tax? Mr Garrett?
Didn't burn a big patch, they contained it to a small zone,est 4x1km .

Here's a view from sisters hills lookout..And Broughtons water hole is totally dry, lots of thirsty looking Roos around it..

bigredroosta screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 04:07 AM
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #2145
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

parts pending

I put the repaired radiator back on today. I even flushed out the creek water!

The new tank mount ( a suzuki part) and radiator cap have not arrived yet.

Now let me guess, which bike did you ride into the Little Desert?

XR650 or the WRF450? I imagine that the sand is pretty soft at present.