Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #31
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by topo View Post
Hey Tony, hope you dont mind me asking but whats tuareg going to cost you v's comming back and doing the aus safari with their free shipping?

Bike looks great by the way, interested to see how your going to secure the fairing at the sides.
OT:

You'll lose your bike indeed for about 11 weeks, round trip. So having a 2nd bike would be handy.

I did the Oz Safari Adv Tour and Tuareg Rallye and budgets including tickets etc end up being about the same for me. That includes tickets to Perth from Amsterdam etc.

Tony is using the Tuareg Org to ship his bike and crate form bivvy to bivvy so I guess that would run about 600 euro cheaper then what I did (part of EAO team).

Add about 2 to 4000 euros to the budget is you do the OZ Safari rally with your own bike though.
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 618
Hey Tony,

Bike is looking great! With the dual rear fuel tanks and the vacuum pump, where are you locating the otherwise stock parts those rally parts now occupy?

Can you get by with not having the coolant overflow bottle? I know where I ride in the summer it is really hot and that coolant overflow usually get's a good workout. Having said that, I really need to get a new left side rad as I put a stick through it so it doesn't cool quite as well as it should!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
edtau
baaaaaaarp

Oddometer: 28
.. and we finally loaded up all ready for Tuareg after a 4 day bike building marathon!

Laid-back Australian stranded in by-the-book Deutschland

edtau screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 06:16 PM
edtau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #34
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Hey Tony,

Bike is looking great! With the dual rear fuel tanks and the vacuum pump, where are you locating the otherwise stock parts those rally parts now occupy?

Can you get by with not having the coolant overflow bottle? I know where I ride in the summer it is really hot and that coolant overflow usually get's a good workout. Having said that, I really need to get a new left side rad as I put a stick through it so it doesn't cool quite as well as it should!
Thanks! The right hand side area only occupies the exhaust which has been fitted below the tank (will get a pic in Tunisia for you). The left actually only holds the catch tank which I have removed completely. I have never had issues with the bike pissing coolant out, appart from having it idle stationary for 15min+.

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #35
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtau View Post
.. and we finally loaded up all ready for Tuareg after a 4 day bike building marathon!

more pics of that 300 please!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #36
Muecke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Awesome. Crossing the fingers for you and have much fun.

Tony, we will meet after your journy. I will call you. :)
Muecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #37
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtau View Post

Have a blast Ed!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #38
edtau
baaaaaaarp

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Have a blast Ed!
Thanks Angelo! Hopefully we'll catch up in person later in the year
Laid-back Australian stranded in by-the-book Deutschland
edtau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #39
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
I caught up with the guys this morning in the paddock - Tony was fitting some new nav gear he'd brought with him:

And Ed was similarly busy prepping the smoker!

Scrutineering tomorrow, the the rally starts on Saturday morning, straight in at the deep end with a double loop stage through the surrounding dunes... made even more fun/chaotic with a GP style mass-start!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry for the very late write up, I had almost completely forgotten about my thread post Tuareg, or better said I was in a bad mood to write about it as I had nothing but bad luck

Day 1 went well, it was hard as nails through the fesh-fesh. Once I got back to camp, I snoozed away for a few hours, then got to work on prepping for the following day.
The second day started very badly. Before setting off for the liaison, the bike heistated to start, I figured it was "cold" in the morning and it needed a while to start. Whatever, it got gong and I set off on the road for a few km's. At the pre-start, I stoppped the bike and waited for my start time. Once it was time, it wouldn't start at all
I checked if I had fuel issues with the tap in the middle to select between the front and rear tanks, looked good. Time was running out, so I pushed to the start, 3,2,1, go, I pushed over the start line and watched my 3 start compeitors ride off whilst I pushed back to the pre start. I had drained the battery from many start attempts, had to kick for a while. I was lucky to find a Tunisian with a 4x4 and a tow rope who kindly helped me bump start. Luckily, it got going, yeah! Almost 30mins had passed, so I raced behind all the bikes, now last in the pack I rode like a mad man
I caught down 2 riders already and was on a roll on the nice hard packed tracks. Suddenly, the roadbook indicated a sharp right coming up, so I ease off the throttle, then the ride dies on me. On the side of the piste I check all the usual stuff. After about 10 mins, it got started again, got going, maybe for 2kms until it happened again. I check and the spark was there, fuel was coming, so the only issue I could come up with was some sort of tight valve clearance (or in fact none at all). Before deciding to continue and possibly damaging anything major, I decided to wait for the sweep truck. A lot of guys I had passed and from the second amature group stopped and asked if all was good, I had to wave them off and let me go, still very kind of them!

Eventually after about 2 hours of waiting and chewing on muslibars, the sweep truck comes by and we load my bike. I sit next to a Brit, Phil, and we enjoy each others company, each telling the other the issues we had on our machines. We spent a good 10 hours in the back of that thing, dozing off here and there I didn't really mind the bumpy ride.
This was unfortunately the day of Wesley's death. We stopped at one of the checkpoints and saw his bike next the marshalls, questioning his whereabouts. Later we were informed by the medic on site of his passing, we were in shock, especially Phil who was in the same team as Wesley. My bad day had gotten worse... R.I.P Wesley.

Later that night after a miserable day and bad atmosphere in the camp I check the valve clearance and all seemed fine, which left to the question of what caused the bike to stall upon getting warm. Only option left was lack of compression in the cylinder. I asked around for some opinions and many agreed. I was lucky enough to have packed a spare cylinder and piston and gasket set into my metal box (didn't have it on my packing list even!). I spent the night until about 4-5am ripping the engine apart and installing a new cylinder, piston and gasket kit. I got about 2 hours of sleep until it was wakeup time. Due to the tragedies of the previous day, day 3 was cancelled and I decided to load my bike onto another sweeper truck and take my time to check everything again at the next camp.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #41
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3 evening and my bike was ready for day 4, newly rebuilt I was happy and took some well earnt rest to get prepared for the following race day.
Again, race day. I was fully motivated now, started at the back of the pack. The 2 guys with me went off, directly missing a hidden checkpoint several hundred meters from the start. I decided to trust my own navigation judgement and did my own thing. I was riding and caught up with Peter Hardy, a really funny US fellow. We compared notes to get out of the camel grass on to the CP2. There I met up with Ed and rode a bit together with him until the dunes started again. Just upon entering the dunes sections it happened again, the bike dies on me. Arghhh!!! It gets going again but only 400m. I take the tank of, check the spark. Then when I press the starter button, a nice splash of water sprays on my face, great, the brand new gasket isn't holding up . Yet again, nothing to do but wait for Mr.Sweep.
Here some pics I took with my GoPro whilst waiting:

Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #42
schattat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3 evening I analyse the issue with the help of some friends from Finnland. Their mechanic helped me reassemble my bike. We had a hunch the the bottom of the cylinder head was no longer planar, but warped a bit. WE didnÄt have a glass plate or anything similar to check, but why else would the gasket not hold (new, tourqed down correctly)?
Day 4 starts again with me in the back, motivated and ready to go. I "nurse" bike at the beginning a bit, but eventually see it's holding up pretty well. A fews kms into the stage I come across my friend Guillaume who crashed and broke one of his left hand fingers, he's out unfortunately. The day is a long one, I ride the whole day with Ed and another English bloke. The transfer section mid-day was through the mountain region of Tunisia, a bit chilly, wish I had had a thicker jacket. We pass through many villages and see many locals, especially little kids. A lot of friendly waving as we pass by. Later during the day there is a faster hard packed section, I gun it a bit more since the bike has worked flawlessly for the last 155km. 5th gear hitting about 140km/h and it dies yet again.I stop and see a tonne of liquid spewing out from the left hand side. I think it's fuel from a hose gone loose and turn the fuel tape off. No good, still running out. I get off the bike, touch the juice and smell it. Hmm, not fuel but water. I check if one of the radiator hoses had gone loose, nope all tight. I try to find the source and it's the cylinder head. Darn, the next CP is literally under 1km away. Ed goes there, gets a towe rope and rides back to tug me to the CP where I let him go on and wait for you know who. At this point I was just fed up of having the rip apart the engine again, and with no more parts and limited resoursces, I figure it's time to not touch the engine any longer.
Only back home I take it apart to find this:

Incredible how much water pressure there was to cause this channel on 2 different spots on the bottom of the cylinder head and top of the cylinder barrel itself! For sure there was no way in hell to have been able to fix it during the rallye.
I had to have it welded. I then got some very fine grit sandpaper and shaved down the surface of the cylinder head to make it look new:

Nonetheless, the bike is running again, new cylinder installed and fixed head, all good. I have, however, gotten myself a new toy anyway, 2012 WR450F with EFI Can't wait for the next build thread (cough, rear tank subframe, cough).

I would also like to thank all the awesome people I was fortunate enough to meet during the rallye, including Jenny; the Finnish team along with their Estonian riders; the helpful sweep guys; Charlie, Dave and many other US boys; and many others!

BTW, I still have some nice GoPro footage, which I still need to edit and upload. Whenever I have enough time!!!

Old 06-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #43
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Bad luck indeed Tony, great for sharing your experiences though!

Looking forward to seeing you on the new bike!!
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #44
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Goodness, it does seem so long ago now doesn't it?!

It was great to finally meet you Tony, especially after so many years of communicating and exchanging information here on ADVrider!

It was also a pleasure to help support and promote your Tuareg campaign this year, and while you clearly didn't get the race result you wanted, you certainly kept us all entertained with drama and some lovely images... here are just a few I managed to snap along the way...

A typical view of Tony most evenings!

Occasionally the bike did move under it's own power!

#87 Tony Schattat - Tuareg Rallye 2013

The look says it all... start of Day 4:

Tony helping out with another rider's electrical problem:

Ed & Tony at the finish!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #45
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Rough rally for you Tony, very sorry to hear it did not go better.

Looking forward to the new buildup! I have a 2011 WR450 (last year for the non-FI) and might consider a 2012 in the future so certainly would like to watch your buildup!