User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
YOGURTS SMC OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Ktm electric start problems

Hi,Can anybody help!! Ive got a KTM 625 SMC LC4 , it runs fine kick starts fine, but wont fire up on the electric start---the engine turns over as normal but wont fire but will start with the help fron jump leads and a running car,but before everybody says its the battery am not sure for to reasons, brand new yuasa yts10 battery, and when your using the jump leads the starter turns over at about the same speed but the bike starts???,
I think the starter motor is taking all the power and is leaving nothing for the ignition side, just like the cars in the 70 and 80s that needed a ballast resistor before the coils, Any ideas??
YOGURTS SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Still sounds like the battery to me............just because it is a new battery does not mean that it is good.
Any way you can try another battery to see what happens?

Good luck
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
It sounds like the battery or the connections to the battery. If the connections are clean and tight with no oxidation or corrosion, take the battery to a battery shop and have it load tested.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
First measure voltage between battery positive and starter positive during starting.
Should be near zero, if not, there is bad connection somewhere between battery and starter.
Or bad solennoid.
Also check connections on negative side.

Remove and check starter for stuck brush and seized bearings.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Could be old Batt but i'd say is the Alternator in the starter clutch assembly, copper coils in pic. Check them for wear.

I'm basing this on last week I had my 640 in with KTM and when stripped the mechanic showed me wear on my copper coils and said there still usable one it's still charging.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -

ericGSsti screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 01:11 AM
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGURTS SMC View Post
Hi,Can anybody help!! Ive got a KTM 625 SMC LC4 , it runs fine kick starts fine, but wont fire up on the electric start---the engine turns over as normal but wont fire but will start with the help fron jump leads and a running car,but before everybody says its the battery am not sure for to reasons, brand new yuasa yts10 battery, and when your using the jump leads the starter turns over at about the same speed but the bike starts???,
I think the starter motor is taking all the power and is leaving nothing for the ignition side, just like the cars in the 70 and 80s that needed a ballast resistor before the coils, Any ideas??
I'm really curious about this too. My bike does the same thing- Usually it'll turn the bike over just fine, but not start. I can kickstart the bike in two kicks, it runs great. I just took out the starter and checked it (everything fine), I've rebuilt the sprague clutch (doesn't screech, turns the bike over fine. It's a bit hard for the starter to turn the bike over, I think my auto decomp part of the cam is wearing out, but I'm loathe to spend the $160 to try a new cam. Still scratching my head, like you. I suspect electrical as well.
And my flywheel/magneto isn't doing that (been there, done that already- and it still e-started fine while it was happening).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I would suspect the pulser coil.
dave186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,765
Guys,
What is the function of the capacitor.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post
I would suspect the pulser coil.
If pulser coil is bad there is no different between e-starter and kickin...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Just throwing this out there, but I just bought a 450 and was doing the same thing, only start on kick. I found the exhaust valves where way loose. After an adjustment everything worked fine.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikkailu_R View Post
If pulser coil is bad there is no different between e-starter and kickin...
Kicking it spins it over faster, and so does jump starting it.
dave186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post
Kicking it spins it over faster, and so does jump starting it.
Pulser coil only generate timing pulse for ignition, not actual ignition current.
I dont know if there is any different on pulse strenght on different rpm?
And engine starts with real slow kick when everything is ok...

All bad pulser coils what i have encoutered are either totally gone (no connection between coil ends) or ones that still work when cold and dosnt work when hot.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,177
the starter clutch (sprague) may be jacked up so when you pull the stator cover pull the flywheel to see..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
tony88
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wink

After months of investigation on the same problem, also read many thread here, I found that.
If you can kick start but cannot push start even the starter is working due to.
1. CDI unit have voltage feed too low to spark due to current drained to starter, check voltage drop at battery if lower than 10 v during starting, this might be the case. check grounding lug from battery - to frame for loose or rusty.

2. free-wheel FWD bearing attached to flywheel on the right side of the engine (part no. 58440026000) (no 7 in the picture) might not function well. this normally when you test HT lead with another spark plug it show some spark at the beginning and then no spark during starter is turning the engine. If this the case, change this bearing.

I have try with 4 bikes normally the free-wheel is the case, I guess when you use electric starter this free wheel is slip.

This should solve the problem
Attached Images

tony88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #15
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,930
That's the sprague clutch, it engages when the electric starter is used to spin the flywheel. It could be that the sprague is a bit too tight, and is not letting the engine run after the starter button is released. But I'm not quite sure why the kick start works fine in that case- the resistance of the sprague clutch is still there.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote