ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Digasi OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
Digasi's Trek to Alaska: Planning Stage

After reading various ride reports and watching rides on you tube, the adventure bug has finally bit me. I am ready to start and go on my own epic ride. My first destination came to me easy, Alaska. While it has been done before by countless others and I have even made the trip by land, sea and air, I have not made this trip on motorcycle my self. For me the ride up, going to places I have never been and being able to re visit memories all pull me towards going North. So after talking to my wife, I got the go ahead to start my planning.

So below is a basic plan I have set up. From here I will ask question that I haven't found answers too and as well to just include everyone in my planning.

When: My plan is set a little ways out at 2014 or 2015. I really want to go in 2014 to celebrate my 10th year riding. Figured It kind of fit and well what better excuse to use?

Bike: Well for right now I plan to use the bike I have. Which is a 09 Suzuki SV650SAF. This might change, but something tells me it will not. I love the SV and well I know she will serve me well. So this choice might effect the route I have listed.

Time: I plan on spending 24 days for the trip. But this depends on several factors, like will the wife let me go for that long and will work let me go. So what time I have might dictate changes to my route below.

Route: Here is my basic, high level route plan http://tinyurl.com/clbkx7m. This of course assumes I have the time needed and bike.

Lodging: Well my plan here is to camp for most of the trip. When possible, I plan to stealth camp. I already have the needed equipment for this because I regularly back back for fun and hunting. So all the stuff I have for this is already small and light because it all fits on my back, so fitting it on a motorcycle shouldn't be to hard. There are locations in which I plan to stay at places. Thinking once in Fairbanks I will stay at the university. I will want to find some camp grounds on the way that are cheap as to get access to some facilities. So maybe $100 to $200 here. Yah, I want to keep is cheap.

Food: Well I plan on carrying some basic food. Breakfast stuff, some can food and mountain house. I figured maybe carry a 4 day or so supply and stock up when I can. Then there is getting snacks on the way plus eating. I also plan to eat out at least once a day. Here I am budgeting $40 a day figuring this would get me one probably two meals. So for 24 days, that is $960.

Gas: I estimate that it will be a 7555 mile trip. So be safe, round it to 8,000 miles for estimation. Research says gas gets expensive up north, so I think worst case I am looking at $6 a gallon. Hopefully will never see it, but by planning on this amount I will ensure I have enough funds for gas. Better to have more then not enough. So looking at $1200.

Tires: Given the distance and research I figured I will need to get a set of tires on the way. I will arrange this when the time gets closer, but probably looking at $350??? Hoping this is a high estimate.

Oil: I will be changing my own oil.

Equipment ->

Camping:
I already have everything for camping. I will try to list everything.
tent
sleeping pad
sleeping bag (rated to 0)
pot
stove
water filter
tarp
dry bags of various colors and sizes
head lamp
fork,spoon, knife

Bike:
Here is where I need some work. The bike will be services before I leave (new tires, oil change, chain and sprockets evaluated and what ever else is needed). Listed is what I think I will need. Some stuff I have the rest I am getting between now and when I leave
A 12v adapter
Tire repair kid
Tire pump
Heated grips and/or coat
Hand protectors
Side bags
Tank Bag
Tail Bag
Spare clutch, brakes, and shifter levers.
zip ties
Tire Iron

Me
Helmet
All Weather jacket
All weather Pants
Water proof boots
Summer and winter gloves
Few sets of cloths.

Other:
Cell phone/Music
Camera
Laptop
GoPro

Well I guess this is all I have so far for plans. As time goes by I will be updated this, thinking of more things I need and such. Of course, feel free to give suggestions and answer any questions I my ask later on. Thanks all for reading and I hope you follow along. Hopefully I will start a ride report in over a year :)
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
OfirMX
Sierra's Gatekeeper
 
OfirMX's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Clovis (Fresno), CA
Oddometer: 104
So Digasi is going adventurer, huh?



Sent from my left shoe using TapTalk
OfirMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
randyo
Beastly Adventurer
 
randyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern NewEngland
Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post

Oil: I will be changing my own oil.
that got me thinking, about when I get started planning the nitty gritty particulars of my trip, I would probably arrange for professional maintenance, but if I do any of my own oil changes (I anticipate 4, my round trip will be 15k-17k miles) what would I do with my drain oil ?
__________________
RandyO
IBA # 9560
07 VeeStrom
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Digasi OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
that got me thinking, about when I get started planning the nitty gritty particulars of my trip, I would probably arrange for professional maintenance, but if I do any of my own oil changes (I anticipate 4, my round trip will be 15k-17k miles) what would I do with my drain oil ?
I figured that I would take it to the local recycling center in Fairbanks http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/solidwaste/

I am sure other large cities will have something similar.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Digasi OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by off1master View Post
So Digasi is going adventurer, huh?



Sent from my left shoe using TapTalk
Yes, yes I am.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee
 
blue72beetle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Oddometer: 144
Awesome

I've been following your thread on SVR.
blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
OfirMX
Sierra's Gatekeeper
 
OfirMX's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Clovis (Fresno), CA
Oddometer: 104
SVR gathering!

OfirMX screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 10:06 AM
OfirMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Digasi OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post
Awesome

I've been following your thread on SVR.
Thanks for following :)

Hopefully I will not be the only one learning from this. I plan to share everything I learn before hand and afterwords.

For those interested, here is the link to my SVR thread http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthr...31#post2655931
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Digasi OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
So another thought came to me.
Fuel.

If I do the road to Prudhoe Bay, it is 240 miles from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay. SV range is 200 miles at its best (I have seen 220 on mine . If I go with my estimate of 45 miles a gallon, I have a range of about 180 - 190 miles. That is 50 to 60 miles short. So I figured I will need 2 gallons on me if I make this run. This will give me a range of 277 or worst case 250 miles.

My first thought was MSR bottles, but realized I would be carrying 6 - 9 of them in order to make the trip.

Then I stumbled on RotopaX. They have some solutions that might work. My first thought is to simply get the 2 gallon container and just put it on the seat and just put my tank bag over it and secure it to the bike.

If I need it more secure, I was thinking of finding a spare seat or cowl and mount the mounting bracket they have to it. Secure the tank to that and tail bag over it. This obviously adds to the cost.

The more expensive solution would be to get side racks for my SV. Then get two one gallon containers and mounts and mount them to the side racks. Then my saddle bags go over them. This is the most expensive route, but would keep bags off of the bike.

Thoughts?
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Warin
Retired
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 1,563
Some thoughts

Oil changes. Where you buy the oil have them accept the old oil. This way you don't have to have a drain container - they supply it, nor do you have to take it some where. Higher price than a supermarket but much more convenient.

Have ALL your stuff at least a month before you leave and test it. Includes tires, chain, sprockets etc. This way you avoid early failures on the trip - they happen at home! Do an over night camp say 3 weeks before you leave with ALL your gear. This test it and you and the bike.

Don't over plan - have some flexibility. I 'plan' 1 day in 6 'free' for staying put, doing the washing etc.

Fuel. As in more of. Some gas stations will only let you fill up 'authorized containers'. You can get around this by draining your tank into the containers you have (have some method for draining your tank). Then (with those containers covered) go fill your fuel tank. Some people use old oil containers, you only use them once.

Have set contact times/points with the wife. Plan them for a day or two after you should get there - this allows for delays that can occur? If you do run late - contact her.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Digasi OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Some thoughts

Oil changes. Where you buy the oil have them accept the old oil. This way you don't have to have a drain container - they supply it, nor do you have to take it some where. Higher price than a supermarket but much more convenient.

Have ALL your stuff at least a month before you leave and test it. Includes tires, chain, sprockets etc. This way you avoid early failures on the trip - they happen at home! Do an over night camp say 3 weeks before you leave with ALL your gear. This test it and you and the bike.

Don't over plan - have some flexibility. I 'plan' 1 day in 6 'free' for staying put, doing the washing etc.

Fuel. As in more of. Some gas stations will only let you fill up 'authorized containers'. You can get around this by draining your tank into the containers you have (have some method for draining your tank). Then (with those containers covered) go fill your fuel tank. Some people use old oil containers, you only use them once.

Have set contact times/points with the wife. Plan them for a day or two after you should get there - this allows for delays that can occur? If you do run late - contact her.
It would be nice to find a place that would help me. Keep my ears open in case I do hear something.

I plan to do some runs this summer and then one last one before the trip. I want to get things down before I start this trip.

Most of my planing is probably going to be what I have on me, setup of bike and such. I have my ideal route and vague plan to get through it. My plan to start is just to follow my plan and make changes as needed. I have no dates to meet other then when I have to be back. I probably will have some idea of when I will be at a certain location for contact reasons.

Fuel, my previous post goes into my plan on this. I figured an extra 2 gallons will get me where ever I want to go.

As for communication with the wife, I was planning just to have some sort communications schedule with her. Would like to do daily, but I don't think cell coverage will allow this. So probably list out some places where I think I will be and have contact made at those points. Probably update that when needed as I go along.

Digasi screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 10:21 AM
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
GISdood
Studly Adventurer
 
GISdood's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Oddometer: 854
Hit me up when you firm up your travel dates. Assuming I'm home and not on the road with the wife somewhere, you're more than welcome to cut some costs by staying with us in Prince George.

Lots of room to camp in the yard or a spare bedroom if you prefer. Also have a decent selection of tools for general maintenance, covered parking, nice quiet rural setting just a few minutes outside of town.

I've also held packages for other inmates as they've come through on their way to AK... tires, sprockets, chains, etc. So if the timing/mileage is right for a tire change or service as you get here, you're more than welcome to send stuff ahead and not pile it on with the rest of your luggage.

Good luck with the rest of your trip planning! Cheers!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Digasi OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Hit me up when you firm up your travel dates. Assuming I'm home and not on the road with the wife somewhere, you're more than welcome to cut some costs by staying with us in Prince George.

Lots of room to camp in the yard or a spare bedroom if you prefer. Also have a decent selection of tools for general maintenance, covered parking, nice quiet rural setting just a few minutes outside of town.

I've also held packages for other inmates as they've come through on their way to AK... tires, sprockets, chains, etc. So if the timing/mileage is right for a tire change or service as you get here, you're more than welcome to send stuff ahead and not pile it on with the rest of your luggage.

Good luck with the rest of your trip planning! Cheers!
Thanks. I will have to give you a PM when I know my dates are set. I will be passing through Prince George on my way up and back.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
OfirMX
Sierra's Gatekeeper
 
OfirMX's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Clovis (Fresno), CA
Oddometer: 104
Hey Digasi, have you seen this guy's videos on SVR?


OfirMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014