User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #61
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,010
Quote:
That said, a person would be delusional to say that the GSA is the best bike ever for normal everyday use.
Well. Color me delusional. There is very little that I can't, won't, or haven't already done on mine. Best. Bike. Ever. For me. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #62
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
You could just let some air out of your tires.
Not at my weight.

But then again I 'could' let the wife talk as we travel down the road and then I'd have all the hot air I need. My God - I hope she doesn't see this.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #63
jaymboze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
You could just let some air out of your tires.
Or fill up your panniers with more beer...
That would surely work...!

I READ IT ON THE INTERNET, SO IT MUST BE TRUE...
jaymboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #64
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 417
I thought the ESA had a ~S~ and ~SS~ setting for short legs
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #65
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Yeah, if there is one thing I hate about my spoked wheels it is how fast the tires wear on them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
What would make the wheels wear out faster on spokes? Never heard this before and don't understand why it would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
Might possibly have been tongue in cheek.

It sure was !!!
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #66
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Well. Color me delusional. There is very little that I can't, won't, or haven't already done on mine. Best. Bike. Ever. For me. ;)
+1

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #67
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
haaa. Stevie88, all the chumps in this bar are lookin at me funny as I fucking laughed out loud looking at my phone..after reading your "if I were short..." comment, mixed with that picture.. frickin funny. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #68
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I can relate to what some are saying about gradually turning a regular GS into a GSA. I got an 09 GS 1) because it was a great deal, and 2) because I was getting back in the saddle after a couple of years hiatus and the GSA just felt too big. I didn't really like the idea of ponying up several grand upfront for features I may not need although I'm sure my GS will end up looking a lot like a GSA.

I've already added the Adventure cases, rear rack, auxiliary lights and crash bars. And I have plans to add winglets, an extra outlet, and maybe the Adventure windshield eventually. I'll probably never get around to upgrading the tank capacity but 200 miles is about when I need to stop and stretch anyway.

I don't think you can go wrong with a GS or GSA. I like that I got to build up my GS the way I like it. If I'd gone ahead and got the GSA I probably would have swapped out some of the extras (cases, lights, seats...) anyway.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #69
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
I can relate to what some are saying about gradually turning a regular GS into a GSA. I got an 09 GS 1) because it was a great deal, and 2) because I was getting back in the saddle after a couple of years hiatus and the GSA just felt too big. I didn't really like the idea of ponying up several grand upfront for features I may not need although I'm sure my GS will end up looking a lot like a GSA.

I've already added the Adventure cases, rear rack, auxiliary lights and crash bars. And I have plans to add winglets, an extra outlet, and maybe the Adventure windshield eventually. I'll probably never get around to upgrading the tank capacity but 200 miles is about when I need to stop and stretch anyway.

I don't think you can go wrong with a GS or GSA. I like that I got to build up my GS the way I like it. If I'd gone ahead and got the GSA I probably would have swapped out some of the extras (cases, lights, seats...) anyway.
I think you're right - you can't go wrong either way. For me (and the wifey) the GSA was just that much further along in being properly outfitted. Our plans are to do a lot of camping from the bike and so far I haven't had to add anything to give us the carrying capacity needed for all the gear. I will need to add some side case top-mount dry bags however...and again, the GSA side cases are MUCH better suited/designed for this.

I have a Harley Street Glide and you can get enough luggage on that bike for two people and a week long trip, but there is no way it has the capacity to carry camping gear for two for any length of time. Not to mention a harley SUCKS on dirt roads getting to camp.

No doubt though, the GSA is a large touring bike...it does not pretend to be some tiny, flyweight road racer. I'm always confused when people knock it for being too big/too heavy blah, blah, blah....not sure why they do. It's actually very light for the "large touring" bike category. IMO, it easily does long-haul duty right next to a Goldwing, full-dresser Harley, K1600. Granted, you don't have the "luxury" aspect of those other machines, but it's got luggage capacity, weight carrying capacity and loads of comfort on ALL roads. Very few tour bikes that can do all that.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #70
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
That is the question. Is one more preferable than the other? For what reasons?
Is the GSA much more top heavy than the GS? Is the GS a better performer than the GSA because it is lighter? If you have owned and ridden both, I would like to benefit from your experience. I am new to the world of BMW adventure bikes but am getting one real soon. Just not sure which one. GS or GSA.........hmmmmmmmmm. thanks very much for listening
If you are tall the GSA. If you are shorter than 6'0" the GS makes more sense. Also until the new GSA comes out the 2013 GSA is not water-cooled. So, the new 2013GS has more power than the 2013 GSA.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #71
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
If you are tall the GSA. If you are shorter than 6'0" the GS makes more sense. Also until the new GSA comes out the 2013 GSA is not water-cooled. So, the new 2013GS has more power than the 2013 GSA.
Not necessarily if you're familiar with the bike. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and handle both with ease (sans sidecar.) My stopping technique is slightly different for each, and I never had any problem with stop and go, low speed maneuvers, or mounting/dismounting the GSA.

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #72
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
The more pertinent question is : are there other bikes which are better
when used for real adventure riding which actually includes
off road riding ? And the answer is a resounding yes.

The KTM 990 Adventure is superior in any sort of off
road conditions and doesn't have the final drive failures
and CANBUS hassles which come with a BMW.

The BMW is about as off road worthy as the Cadillac
Elvis drove.

Do yourself a favor and test ride a KTM 990 before you buy a
BMW. I've ridden a 1200 GSA and I couldn't wait to get
back on my KTM. And when I did, all I could think was :
"Now THIS is what a motorcycle should be like"

Of course the BMW fanboys won't agree with this, but
I speak the truth and I have no dog in the hunt other than
speaking the truth.

sounds like someone needs some off road riding training so he can handle the big boys bike
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #73
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
Not necessarily if you're familiar with the bike. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and handle both with ease (sans sidecar.) My stopping technique is slightly different for each, and I never had any problem with stop and go, low speed maneuvers, or mounting/dismounting the GSA.

Pete
Right!

There's a lot more to riding than inseam length. I'm 6'-1" with a 34" inseam, and I prefer the standard GS. It just makes a better substitute for a Ducati Monster than the more top heavy GSA. Then I can snap the hard cases, RDL seat, and tall windscreen onto it and go touring, and the 200 mile range has gotten me all over the western US without much concern.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #74
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Right!

There's a lot more to riding than inseam length. I'm 6'-1" with a 34" inseam, and I prefer the standard GS. It just makes a better substitute for a Ducati Monster than the more top heavy GSA. Then I can snap the hard cases, RDL seat, and tall windscreen onto it and go touring, and the 200 mile range has gotten me all over the western US without much concern.
I think the point is that in general the GSA is a taller bike than the GS and therefore, that may be a key decision. NOT for everyone for sure as I have seen women 5'7" handle a GS just fine but in general the taller bikes are preferred by taller riders. I know if I were not 6'3" tall with 34" inseam I'd probably look harder at the GS. In fact being taller can be a real pain as many bikes to not fit me well. Not to mention trying to find riding gear!

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #75
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinNC View Post
I know if I were not 6'3" tall with 34" inseam I'd probably look harder at the GS. In fact being taller can be a real pain as many bikes to not fit me well.
3 words; Russell Day Long!

The difference in seat to peg distance between GS & GSA is only the difference in seat padding...about 3/4 inch. They are the same bike except for bolt on bits.

I had a GSA seat on my GS for a year. Although it did make a difference in knee pain, I actually found it worse in the groin comfort on long rides.

Now, with the Russell seat, I can do 600-700 miles a day, every day. I didn't buy the GSA simply because most of the extras that come with the GSA were things I'd replace anyway, like the seat and windscreen.

Unfortunately, my GS came with cast wheels, so I found a gently used set from Woody's Wheels. Spokes are only a $500 option on a GS, but when you buy a used set they'll cost quite a bit more. If you plan to ride "off road", spend the $500 up front! (although it is nice to have a extra set for street tires)
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote