ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,229
lower 950 Enduro

I have decided that the 950 Enduro might well be just what I want but there is one issue that seems to throw a monkey all in the wrench,,,,, my 30 inch inseam just isn't enough. Yes, yes,,, if I knew how to properly ride I could ride the Enduro in severely rocky and rutted two track all day long even with a 27 inch inseam but that ain't me. If you are 5 foot 4 with a 27 inch inseam and ride the Super Eduro in rocky single track, good for you but the bottom line is you ain't me and I don't care. I can hardly tip one toe down and I have back issues that cause my left leg to be alot weaker than my right so the basic question is,,,,,,, is there a way to lower the Super Eduro an appreciable amount without totally ruining the suspension?

I have a DL650 that I've raised nearly 2 inches and I did alot of mods to the seat {narrowed it at the front and cut it down} that combined, enabled me to have roughly the same seat height as when it was stock. That's what I want to do with the Enduro though I know full well I won't be able to lower the seat height enough, if I could get near that and combine that with an inch or so through a lowering link and dropping the triples it might be enough. Maybe even some internal mods to the forks to lower them another inch???
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,971
Quick search found this older thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...lowering+950se

I bought the Corbin seat made for the SMT, about 2 inches lower then stock and more comfortable.

Ive had my 17"s on it so long now Im starting to miss the dirt, but its nice and low.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Before you spend money, try zero preload on the forks and about 3-4mm preload on the back.
When you start spending money you have these options listed from low$ to high$
1) modify the seat, there is about 1/2 inch to be gained there
2) 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch if you lace a 17 rim on the back and raise the forks at the yokes an equal amount
3) internal suspension modifications. This is the only mod that will decrease suspension travel. There is a cheap and an expensive way to do that. I suggest the cheap, which is to simply modify just the rear shock by putting a spacer at the piston. The ratio of suspension travel to rear wheel travel is about 1:3, so if you put a 10mm spacer in the piston, you loose about 30mm of seat height. Then you raise the forks in the yokes an equal amount. The more expensive version is to modify the forks too, but I don't think this is necessary since you will never use all their travel and they are pretty stiff stock.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,679
Backing off the rear spring tension and raising the forks in the triple clamps worked for me (5' 11" w/31 " inseam). I also went to the 19" X 17" Canyon set up . . . . since I ride mostly on the road. The canyon set up works fine for North GA Forest Service roads. If you are near Lawrenceville GA . . . . you are welcome to try my bike. It is rock steady at any speed. You will need to shorten the side stand 2".

I was able to add a wider Seat Concepts seat and still reach the ground.

'14 V-Strom 650 ABS Everyday Bike
'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"

mcmann screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 04:52 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Lowering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
That's what I want to do with the Enduro though I know full well I won't be able to lower the seat height enough, if I could get near that and combine that with an inch or so through a lowering link and dropping the triples it might be enough. Maybe even some internal mods to the forks to lower them another inch???
You can't use a lowering link on these bikes as they don't have a linkage (at least, the Adventures don't and I'm assuming SE is the same). As noted above if you want to lower the rear suspension you can use a droop spacer in the rear shock. Mine is lowered 8mm which means 24mm lower in rear. I also have droop spacers installed in the forks to lower the forks a similar amount. They basically they prevent the suspension from extending out fully. Mine was revalved and re-sprung at the same time and it works really well.

You could also raise forks in triple clamp rather than running a droop spacer in front, and have shock lowered in back. But I think you want to keep lowering front and back pretty even - you drop the forks on sport bikes to sharpen them up, but even there 5mm is a pretty significant change. There's a limit to how far you can go as well - an inch works on mine.

I was ok with stock height of my 990 Adv. on the street or gravel, but the lowering allows you to more easier dab a foot in the dirt and I don't use all my travel anyway - too slow and no air time.
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,229
Sounds like the most I could hope to lose in height without severly limiting travel would be around 3 inches at most. Figure .5,,,,, to 1 inch at most in seat mods and a couple inches in suspension between internal mods to the shock and forks and sliding the triples and I think that'll still be too tall for me. Oh well, I'll stick to a crappy DL650, a crappy XR650 and maybe add a Tiger 1200 or Tenere to the mix. I was hoping to fill the job of DL and either of the1200s with one bike. Maybe I'll look harder at the KTM Adventure.

Much thanks for the replies and the advice.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,711
I am buying a SE from a friend that is verticaly challenged. I am 6'5" and 300+ so I am having to undo what he did. Austin Offroad Racing did the original work to this bike. He dropped the bike about 3" for $600. The bike was done well and handles extremely well. I am taking the bike back there to go back up Again $600 This is new springs and valving for my weight. I have done alot of suspension work in the past and mine does not stack up as good as the experts.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
I am buying a SE from a friend who is verticaly challenged.
Corrected!
Short people are still human
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Jba797
Gravel Hound

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
I am buying a SE from a friend that is verticaly challenged. I am 6'5" and 300+ so I am having to undo what he did. Austin Offroad Racing did the original work to this bike. He dropped the bike about 3" for $600. The bike was done well and handles extremely well. I am taking the bike back there to go back up Again $600 This is new springs and valving for my weight. I have done alot of suspension work in the past and mine does not stack up as good as the experts.
Have you been hiding this SE you bought from us?

04 KTM 950 ADV For Sale
07 KTM 450 XC-W plated
Jba797 is offline   Reply With Quote