Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #136
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I don't get all the negative comments about doing the visa by mail ahead of time. Like many things in life it's a little bit of money for a convenience.

What he said....

Also, through research we have found having the girl in the group ride into the check point first seems to make them friendlier.
Probably won't help on this trip unless we score a couple of hookers who like to ride while in Ensenada.....
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #137
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Great story....In Ensenada tonite, we are finishing up a two week trip. Hit a military check point yesterday, and when he looked in my gobi box and seen the cerveza, he asked me if there were any extras...
Thats the great thing about Baja, the stories! I have seriously been thinking about putting all the individual stories I have down in book form, like a collection of short stories. Even asking other ADV inmates to contribute a few. If I were titleing the chapters a few would be:

Dude you blew a checkpoint!

Did you go left or right at the dead cow?

I'll go get the air pump from Mat... Shit I left the tire irons with Ryan.

That taco filling is from a little farther "south of the border".

How to speak Cannuk to a Scottsman in Mexico.

Crazy retired Cannuk Jeeper (starring the guy who asked about the dead cow).

How to propose in the desert in Mexico and nearly freeze to death.

Suicidal Coyotes.

Wanna share my tooth brush?

Damn, seagulls will eat anything.

Huh, there is something Muddy won't eat.

And that's just some of the funny ones. There are also a bunch of..., well not to sound sappy, but, heartwarming and profound stories. Like standing at that same checkpoint north of Gonzaga 2 years later and sharing a moment of staring up at an amazing starry sky while a young soldier helped me stay standing due to a serious injury. It was beautiful, and one of my most vivid memories from 3 trips.

Man, I really need to get my niece down there to meet her family...
muddyrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #138
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Boing!

Leaving in less than two weeks.

Any new ideas/places/hotels/beaches appreciated.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #139
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb Vagabundos del Mar for permits and info

The Vags have all kinds of good current intel on the roads and the details. Get trip tickets, etc, too. Yeah, you have to join, but if you like good current info and discounts on places to stay,,etc., it's a good deal. Vagabundos.com

And they have a killer crab feed/campout/jazz party in the Delta, too.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #140
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Posada de Don Vicente In Guerrero Negro

Guerrero Negro is not really a destination spot unless your checking out the whales.

A good town to hit a atm and get supplies.

Posada de Don Vicente hotel is about the second one right side as you come into town.

Clean and cheap. 300 pesos for 2. They also have rooms with 3 beds too. Stayed there at least 4 times this winter.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #141
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
The Vags have all kinds of good current intel on the roads and the details. Get trip tickets, etc, too. Yeah, you have to join, but if you like good current info and discounts on places to stay,,etc., it's a good deal. Vagabundos.com

And they have a killer crab feed/campout/jazz party in the Delta, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Guerrero Negro is not really a destination spot unless your checking out the whales.

A good town to hit a atm and get supplies.

Posada de Don Vicente hotel is about the second one right side as you come into town.

Clean and cheap. 300 pesos for 2. They also have rooms with 3 beds too. Stayed there at least 4 times this winter.
Thanks guys.

Good info!!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #142
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,738
The Malarrimo on the the north side of the road right as you get into town is good too. Great restaurant interesting collection of stuff that has washed up in the bay.

View Larger Map
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #143
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Let the games begin!!!!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866016

Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #144
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Popped my Baja virgin cherry last week with an 11 day, 1600 mile, 9 city adventure. What a blast and planning how to finangle my next trip down there.

List of places we stayed
Ensenada
Mikes Sky
Bay of Gonzaga
Bay of LA
San Ignacio
Mulega
Loreto
La Paz
Buena Vista

Visited countless cities in between... still trying to put it all together in my head.

So many stories shared with the guys and a gal...topes, cows, stuck Italianas, 6' deep sink holes that swallow whole KTM's, crazed horses coming after me, the list goes on. Wife looks at me funny when I laugh for no reason. She said "I never should have let you go...now you are hooked."
Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #145
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx813 View Post
Popped my Baja virgin cherry last week with an 11 day, 1600 mile, 9 city adventure. What a blast and planning how to finangle my next trip down there.

List of places we stayed
Ensenada
Mikes Sky
Bay of Gonzaga
Bay of LA
San Ignacio
Mulega
Loreto
La Paz
Buena Vista

Visited countless cities in between... still trying to put it all together in my head.

So many stories shared with the guys and a gal...topes, cows, stuck Italianas, 6' deep sink holes that swallow whole KTM's, crazed horses coming after me, the list goes on. Wife looks at me funny when I laugh for no reason. She said "I never should have let you go...now you are hooked."
Cool!!

Pass on any good intel...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #146
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Cool!!

Pass on any good intel...
Boy I wish I could. I was one of the rookies in the group so was along for the ride so to speak. All of us were on off-road bikes so our focus was ST, tough two tracks and everything else we can get.

The things I did learn though:

- riding at night is VERY different than the day. More animals out
- on gravel roads, if you see a line of rocks stacked up, that usually means DEEP rain ruts or a hole...big ones. Hit a rain rut at 50 or so....lucky I still had some gearing left, sat back and pinned it. Did clean my drawers out.

This hole ate a whole 450XCW while the rider was still moving. Lucky she plowed the ground where the picture was taking.

We stayed at small hotels where the food was still alive hrs before and the owner greets you with open arms. We did get near Cabo and boy, prices went waaaayyyy up.

San Javier

My view every morning

Bahia de Gonzaga

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #147
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,739
I would not suggest riding anywhere, dirt or road after dark....what's the point? If your in a hurry in Baja, you WILL get into trouble. (Unless racing the 1000!)
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #148
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Ain't gonna.....
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #149
Big Spag
ONESPEED

Oddometer: 92
Baja on 1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Ain't gonna.....
Just got back from baja. Tecate to Cabo and back.

Cortez side rocks. Did Mikes, Gonzaga, Mulege, Lapaz, Cabo, Cabo Pulmo, Barilles, Loretto, El Rosario and back.

Go to EL Sacrafico in Gonzaga see Luis.

Spend some time in the Bay of Conception near Mulege.

Have a great time.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #150
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb best advice

Ride at night and get hurt. That's almost a rule.

If ya' don't have fun, it's your own fault.

I'm behind you in April - two-up. Haven't ridden Baja in awhile - been flying down and seeing the sights from the front seat.
Time to get dirty again.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote