User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Baja Trip January 2014

So I am starting a new job soon and I am on salary and get to take a month off in the winter, seasonal work has its advantages

Anyways my dad takes a trip to Cabo every year and asked all the kids to come down for a week in January, he wants us to fly but I have other ideas. The basic idea is leave from MN and head due south because it's gonna be COLD for the first 500 miles. Then maybe pick up the TAT through OK and NM and head south down into the Baja Peninsula. Make my way down to Cabo, spend a few days to a week kicking it at a resort and then make my way back north.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? I don't speak Spanish but I feel that will just be an inconvenience, I want to learn for future travels in Central and South America. Basic timeline will be 4-6 weeks, and I will be taking the KLR.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I led a trip of 17 people to cabo a few years back. 11 days round trip from so cal. I would be happy to give you any info. Also just returned from a fly and rent in costa rica. PM me for any questions or details.
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Dates???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
So I am starting a new job soon and I am on salary and get to take a month off in the winter, seasonal work has its advantages

What would be your timeline for being at the border, and where are you crossing? My bike is in San Diego and I'm flying out early January, to ride South into Baja...

FYI, the TAT in OK is long & sandy, and starting to get amazing in the very short section in NM... but you might have snow.... I did the TAT to Moab last year in July.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Gentri in GA or KustomizingKid, are either of you still planning on doing baja in January? I have some time off, and I can't think of a better way to spend it.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
COPete
n00b

Oddometer: 3
If everything goes as planned, Im hoping to be down there starting a ride on the 11th and making it to cabo by the 18th, spending a few days in Cabo with a friend and then heading back up north on the 23rd. Right now Im riding solo (except for the first 2-3 days). Ill be on my on a '92 DR350 riding light, slow, cheap and safe (22 year old guy trying to make the best of my time off). Im planning on mostly dirt roads, avoiding single track and tramac as much as possible. Im not really looking for a full trip riding partner but I would love to meet up with some people and maybe spend a few days riding with other...the safety and piece of mind of riding with other would be welcomed.
Let me know if any one wants to meet up, ill share my planned route if anyone is interested
Old 12-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPete View Post
If everything goes as planned, Im hoping to be down there starting a ride on the 11th and making it to cabo by the 18th, spending a few days in Cabo with a friend and then heading back up north on the 23rd. Right now Im riding solo (except for the first 2-3 days). Ill be on my on a '92 DR350 riding light, slow, cheap and safe (22 year old guy trying to make the best of my time off). Im planning on mostly dirt roads, avoiding single track and tramac as much as possible. Im not really looking for a full trip riding partner but I would love to meet up with some people and maybe spend a few days riding with other...the safety and piece of mind of riding with other would be welcomed.
Let me know if any one wants to meet up, ill share my planned route if anyone is interested
That's generally around my time period to. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943660

I can send you a gpx or kml file of the route I put together that we'll loosely follow. We'll be on a husky and a drz. I freaking love single track though.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
If you guys are interested in what KustomizingKid is up to then check here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941239

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,114
We live just south of Mulege,BCS.Stop on by/spend a few days.Baja has a lot to offer in addition to riding.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
COPete
n00b

Oddometer: 3
z987k, Ill take a look at your GPX file and see how it compares to my route/day. Im hesitant of singletrack because im by myself on not the most trust worthy bike. That, and my riding skills are descent but not great, I dont want to slow anyone down. Maybe if I run into you guys i could be talked into riding some single.

Mulege is on my route so maybe Ill stop by, time dependent. Thanks for the offer
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Sent a longer PM, but short trip in Jan, may return for longer ride in late March.... we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
Gentri in GA or KustomizingKid, are either of you still planning on doing baja in January? I have some time off, and I can't think of a better way to spend it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
What......

I was just there Great little town, nice people and Amazing beach
Will look for you guys next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess jamaica View Post
We live just south of Mulege,BCS.Stop on by/spend a few days.Baja has a lot to offer in addition to riding.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
I was just there Great little town, nice people and Amazing beach
Will look for you guys next time
+1.Please do.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentri in GA View Post
Sent a longer PM, but short trip in Jan, may return for longer ride in late March.... we'll see.
I've got nothing.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #14
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Baja neighbor

Quote:
I am down in Cabo from Jan. to April and ride an XR400. How long are you down for and what bikes do you ride? Two years ago I did a solo ride up to Loreto, 1025 mi. /7 days and hope to do it in reverse this year. Dan
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
PM sent

Quote:
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote