Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #106
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Ok, ok, ok, ok. Where is the best place to buy in the US ? I havent done a search.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #107
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 436
I found the best combination of price and trustworthiness from Sportbike Track Gear. YMMV
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #108
aprilian
Can I change this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
My install is not going as smoothly. I just sent DJ an email with questions. Let me know if any of you know the answers.

1) With bike off, I connected the USB cable. power commander v 1.0.6.1 recognizes the unit. trying to send the initial map, I get "send map aborted - invalid map type" - what am I missing?
2) I am unable to turn on autotune option in PCV, it does not show up as a power commander configure choice and when I try to do it in the options section, it will not let me keep those changes. What do I need to do to enable the Autotune? I watched the download tutorial and my configure choices are quite different from the video choices. Is it possible that I can only make that configuration change with the bike on so the autotune is powered up and recognized by the PCV?
3) the BMW G650x maps that I downloaded have 2 cylinders, but this bike is a single - does the PCV only end up using one cylinder's map? which one?
4) when I activate the Auto tune will the AFR chart have recommended AFR targets or do I need to populate the chart? if so, should I start at 13.2 in all cells and see what happens to the mileage? actually, I know some cells are supposed to remain at 0.0 so where can I find those specifics?
5) do I have to do anything in the software before I disconnect the cable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
6. the laptop RPM is reading TWICE the actual RPM
In the interest of full documentation
1) and 2) CAN connectors not seating
3) they sent me a single cylinder map. Really wouldn't make a difference as the PCV would have just looked at cyl 1
4) when I got the autotune on, the AFR map showed up - no need to manually enter
5) no - as long as not sending or receiving a map
6) they sent me a small firmware update that fixed this
I also learned that
you should update software and firmware no matter how new the unit is
autotune flashing red status led turns solid when unit is live after warm up
Switch position for using autotune is when switch is "completing the circuit"
not reccomended to leave USB cable plugged in since case is plastic and might crack. I will have to think how to mount it in a way to easily connect for trim map acceptance
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #109
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
It all sounds pretty snazzy. I think Id spring for the whole thing, Autotune and all.

I see Hard Racing in NC carries these. Ive bought Ohlins from them in the past.

This is about a $500 add-on.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #110
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Any process on this michel?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #111
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

They both fit just under sidepanel with a bracket. Still need to add swich for map selection.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #112
aprilian
Can I change this?

I mounted mine similarly with one exception. I mounted the PCV to the trim panel and made sure the rubber plug was easy to get to so I can flash maps without having to remove anything. The orientation is the same as yours. I bought a 90 degree USB cable since it was a tight fit to get a traditional cable in without pressure being placed on the cable from the oil tank trim piece.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #113
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, after pic I have turned PC 90degs to reach usb port better. Wires on PC are a bit short to find good posititons. Been thinking about leave usb wire there to get it easily connected until get it working correct.

Any toughts about suitable AFR target values for Rotax? I know one case when XC has been on dyno with autotune and dynoguy told that AFR could be as rich as 12.7. His opinion was that AT needs slightly richer setting what his measurement shows. So I'm thinking that I'll start values between that 12.7 and 13.2. Can't go much wrong with them?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #114
aprilian
Can I change this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
Any toughts about suitable AFR target values for Rotax? I know one case when XC has been on dyno with autotune and dynoguy told that AFR could be as rich as 12.7. His opinion was that AT needs slightly richer setting what his measurement shows. So I'm thinking that I'll start values between that 12.7 and 13.2. Can't go much wrong with them?
From my emails with Dynojet
Quote:
Your usb port on the Power Commander could get damaged in the usb is left plugged in all the time and you are not careful with it. It is made out of plastic.
You can find Dynojet’s recommended Target AFR values already in the 2 predeveloped map files we have made for the bike. You can copy those same targets to any other map file you may currently have. Where you see zeroes in our target tables, is basically were you should have zeroes in any map file’s target AFR table.
To make a more economical map you pretty much just want to target a leaner AFR value in the cruise range. We find 13.8 to be a nice median between economy and performance. Anything leaner than 15 and you are going to start getting into heat issues, pinging, etc.
When you load any map, your AFR table will have target AFR's as a starting point.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #115
Noillek
Nomada Portugues

Oddometer: 24
PCV G650XMoto issues

Hi all,

Just got a PCV for my 2007 Xmoto, easy install, official Map01 (stock air filter and stock exhaust), although i have a unifilter and inner airbox cover removed.

1st test ride was nice smooth and strong allowing me to ride at very low rpm without any problem.

2nd test ride, highway, full throttle, very strong front wind... max. 165km/h (my top in autobahn was 193 km/h, cutting on the redline) and after a while keeping the speed the full throttle i cut gas and the engine starts to cough, something like if the gasoline has been over... give a full round of throttle and was ok again, cut the gas and the same cough... try to go stable on the throttle and coughing all the time... was getting worse and worse and after stop at a gas station, idle was pretty good everything was fine.

Switch off and on again and it goes fine again... did anyone experience this behavior after installing the PCV? Should I be concern? there's a friend that told me that i need to install Autotune in order to work always fine... is this true?

By the way i live in The Netherlands... sea level.

Thank you for whatever help you can give.

Cheers,
Pedro
Noillek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #116
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noillek View Post
Switch off and on again and it goes fine again... did anyone experience this behavior after installing the PCV? Should I be concern? there's a friend that told me that i need to install Autotune in order to work always fine... is this true?
I had similar behaviour with mine back when I had the Xchallenge.
I suspected the crankshaft pulse sensor at the time, and fixing that cured my symptoms. I adjusted the sensor just minimally (0.1-0.2mm) closer to the magneto flywheel, and it did the trick. PCV needs a strong pulse signal (from the posi-tapped wires) so if I were you I'd check the sensor and your wiring to that to make sure it's all good. Autotune is not needed for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
I'm in the process of trying to diagnose a problem with the bike's crankshaft sensor (pulse sensor / pickup coil sensor / whatchacallit), which seems to give my PCV some problems. When bike warms up, it seems to lose some of the pickup coil pulse strenght, resulting in little annoying cut-offs when running with PCV. Without PCV, no problem. After talking to an old bmw bike tech, he suggested either trying out a new sensor, or seeing if the sensor could be adjusted just a tad closer = the coil to freewheel gap may be slightly off, like only 0.1-0.5 mm off or so could result in bike acting up sometimes..
Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #117
Noillek
Nomada Portugues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
I had similar behaviour with mine back when I had the Xchallenge.
I suspected the crankshaft pulse sensor at the time, and fixing that cured my symptoms. I adjusted the sensor just minimally (0.1-0.2mm) closer to the magneto flywheel, and it did the trick. PCV needs a strong pulse signal (from the posi-tapped wires) so if I were you I'd check the sensor and your wiring to that to make sure it's all good. Autotune is not needed for this.
Hi FinnDuro, thank you for the quick reply, that indeed can be, i did something wrong initially and cut the crank sensor wires instead of hot wiring them. I reconnect them again... dont know if i did it on the best way.

I will check that and you say that i should re position the posi-tapped wires closer to the engine then? so it picks the pulse easier? Sorry im not very technical... (that's why i cut the wires instead of hot wire them).

Will try tomorrow and let i will post how the fix went.

Thanks once again.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #118
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
No, it's not the posi-taps location. You would have to check and possibly minimally change the position of the actual pulse sensor inside your magneto engine cover. It's a somewhat technically involved process, not too hard though, but would not call it easy either.

EDIT: So, you'd need to check the Pulse generator part and fitment (part 3, possibly minimally change fitment 16)

parts fiche: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...aspx?vid=51546 , check 12. Engine Electrics.

FinnDuro screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 02:32 PM
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #119
Noillek
Nomada Portugues

It seems a bit technical indeed... I will try to do a few more tests, saw in the Power commander faq that can also be non stable 12v minimal.

I will review connections and leave this procedure as last option as I'm not sure if I can do it my self.

Thank you for the guidance I will keep you posted if I find any improvements.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk