Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #76
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
3 words; Russell Day Long!

The difference in seat to peg distance between GS & GSA is only the difference in seat padding...about 3/4 inch. They are the same bike except for bolt on bits.

I had a GSA seat on my GS for a year. Although it did make a difference in knee pain, I actually found it worse in the groin comfort on long rides.

Now, with the Russell seat, I can do 600-700 miles a day, every day. I didn't buy the GSA simply because most of the extras that come with the GSA were things I'd replace anyway, like the seat and windscreen.

Unfortunately, my GS came with cast wheels, so I found a gently used set from Woody's Wheels. Spokes are only a $500 option on a GS, but when you buy a used set they'll cost quite a bit more. If you plan to ride "off road", spend the $500 up front! (although it is nice to have a extra set for street tires)

I had a RDL on my 08 GSA, always used it set in the high position too. I'm 6'2" and that was a comfortable setup for me, but I couldn't flatfoot that sucker. I only dropped it one time and that was pulling out of a motel parking lot. The exit had a great deal of slope to the right, I was turning left, just barely moving when I grabbed a handfull of front brake to stop for a car. With bar cranked to the left a bit and full tank of fuel I couldn't hold that fat pig up when she shifted to the right. It dumped me on my ass and laid there on its side in first gear,Rear wheel turning, mocking me and my feeble attempt to alter physics. I shut the motor off and as I was about to try and pick it up a delivery truck driver stopped and helped. Didn't hurt a thing other than a scuffed bar end. I think having the panniers on helped prevent anything worse.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #77
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 503
My Experience

My thoughts...

Btw: I have 30k miles on my bike now. See my other videos and blog posts. She is a big girl, but I'm 6'3" and the bike feels exactly right for me. I have yet to crash it. I've done a couple of 4x4 roads in B.C. where I've questioned my choice, but in the end the bike has done everything I've asked of it and more. I'm extremely satisfied with my choice of a GSA.

FWIW I bought a F650GS Dakar for my son to use AND for personal use to tour some of the logging roads in the PacNW. However, for all of my multiday trips, hands down, the GSA has won my heart. The taller suspension and fuel tank has been a blessing for me on the remote trips up north. You can always carry extra fuel if you feel that your travels will define the need. And if you are really concerned about weight, take a look at the F800s or the Triumph Tigers. Lots of choices..
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 09:01 PM
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #78
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
awesome film grizz, well done.
I have been in allot of the BC you filmed and you missed some great stuff, keep coming back!
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #79
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 436
GrizzLee - dammit , now all those folks will want to come up where we live!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #80
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
awesome film grizz, well done.
I have been in allot of the BC you filmed and you missed some great stuff, keep coming back!
What I can't ride, I hike or paddle ...

You are correct, there is a great deal up there to see and do. A lifetime's worth. I wish I had more vacation. BC has the best of everything I love to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
GrizzLee - dammit , now all those folks will want to come up where we live!
Sorry about that.... You are correct. We need to keep it a secret. BC is probably the best place on the planet IMHO. Count me as those wanna be Canadian's I have property up at Bowron Lakes. Someday I'll retire... someday

Here is more from my BC trip last Septemeber.

BC is the best!!!!
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 03:33 PM Reason: Fixed videos
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #81
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
What I can't ride, I hike or paddle ...

You are correct, there is a great deal up there to see and do. A lifetime's worth. I wish I had more vacation. BC has the best of everything I love to do.

Sorry about that.... You are correct. We need to keep it a secret. BC is probably the best place on the planet IMHO. Count me as those wanna be Canadian's I have property up at Bowron Lakes. Someday I'll retire... someday

Here is more from my BC trip last Septemeber.

BC is the best!!!!
Those empty rectangles really look, well empty.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #82
Scottishman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Hey Grizz

Love your stuff, man. Absolutely magnificent. Rode many of the the same roads, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to be as pretty. :) :) Great work.

The PNW is gotta be the best place on the planet. Irrespective of borders.

WRT the GS/GSA debate, I bought a 2012 Rallye, only because the GSA was too tall. The GSA had better value, with included options. I am 6 1", but could not get my feet flat. Go figure.
2014 BMW GSA 1200
2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 2012 Porsche Boxster S Black Edition
Scottishman is offline   Reply With Quote