ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #796
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E
 
BIG-E's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montek View Post
thanx guys, that was an awesome ride today. u fukrs is alright. that was just awesome stuff, and the views of the desert were spectacular, the trails were fricken unbeleivable, riding partners could not have been better. A bonus day to be alive and on 2 wheels in the desert.
Monte
+1!!

Awesome day! Thanks Everyone!

BTW, Paul you can borrow the SE anytime.....Heheheheh.....
__________________


"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #797
AZ Desert Dog
AZ Desert Dog
 
AZ Desert Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest
Oddometer: 88
Gila Bend Ride Video

Hey I through together the video I took from the ride. I split it up into three parts. If your bored and want soemthing to watch gie it a try. If your going to watch only one part watch part two.
I had a great time! Thanks for having me along.

Part One
http://youtu.be/_JumzxHIqTs



Part Two
http://youtu.be/R1oo9wAi97A

Part Three
http://youtu.be/AgZjjb82qnc
AZ Desert Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #798
kyre
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 10
Day Trip Idea?

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to be staying in Fountain Hills in ~March 15 and wanted to rent a bike. I was out there last year and rented a BMW R1200RT, which I thought was great (although a little clunky at low speeds). My wife and I went up to Snowflake then south through Show Low back to Fountain Hills, which was awesome although just a bit long for my wife. We covered about 380 miles.

Does one have a rental place they'd recommend? So far the front runner is http://www.azride.com. I'm torn between renting the BMW again, or going with the Ducati.

Any route recommendations?

Thanks!
kyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #799
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Dog View Post
Hey I through together the video I took from the ride. I split it up into three parts. If your bored and want soemthing to watch gie it a try. If your going to watch only one part watch part two.
I had a great time! Thanks for having me along.

Part One
http://youtu.be/_JumzxHIqTs



Part Two
http://youtu.be/R1oo9wAi97A

Part Three
http://youtu.be/AgZjjb82qnc
Great video DD. I felt you pain & exhaustion. My advice for what it's worth before this is no longer fun for you, get rid of that tank & get something more off road friendly & have way more fun out there
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #800
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 24,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyre View Post
Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to be staying in Fountain Hills in ~March 15 and wanted to rent a bike. I was out there last year and rented a BMW R1200RT, which I thought was great (although a little clunky at low speeds). My wife and I went up to Snowflake then south through Show Low back to Fountain Hills, which was awesome although just a bit long for my wife. We covered about 380 miles.

Does one have a rental place they'd recommend? So far the front runner is http://www.azride.com. I'm torn between renting the BMW again, or going with the Ducati.

Any route recommendations?

Thanks!


Rent the GS again. And if she isn't scared of doing some of-roading follow this route.



View Larger Map

It's a fantastic and beautiful loop.

Point D is an easy dirt road.

from points E through F it's a little bit more rough but nothing too bad. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. I think you guys will love it.

click here if that link doesn't work.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #801
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3
 
JayHawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Cookin, AZ
Oddometer: 131
Great vids DesertDog. You did an amazing job piloting your supertanker through all that sand .
__________________
'07 DR 650
JayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #802
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 24,792
It's cool to have narrated video.

so did you guys like the Hangar Cafe?

no need to sugar coat things with me. If it sucked, it sucked. I just like to know other people's opinions.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #803
kyre
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Rent the GS again. And if she isn't scared of doing some of-roading follow this route.



View Larger Map

It's a fantastic and beautiful loop.

Point D is an easy dirt road.

from points E through F it's a little bit more rough but nothing too bad. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. I think you guys will love it.

click here if that link doesn't work.
This is awesome! I rented the RT last time though, I've never gone off road, and this will only be my second time riding two-up... I don't know how well my wife would handle that either.
kyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #804
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 24,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyre View Post
This is awesome! I rented the RT last time though, I've never gone off road, and this will only be my second time riding two-up... I don't know how well my wife would handle that either.
Well the good thing about that loop is that the easy part is on the front end. If once you get past point D (Roosevelt Dam) you decide things are getting too sketchy for you guys you can just head North on 188 until you reach 87 and take that back into Fountain Hills. It's all paved and still a pretty nice ride.

Like so.

here are some pics of that loop.







__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #805
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 24,792
All paved

An all paved route would look like this.

And if you enjoy twisties I would recommend this.
It's 300 miles but a great day of riding.

or you could rent a Harley and just cruise up to Tortilla Flat and back.

Good luck and hope you two have fun.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #806
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!
 
750Volts!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 442
Julio,
No sugar coating +1 for the food quality at Hangar Cafe. The food taste and quality was A1. The amount of people at the time we were there was a bit high and with the size of us and gear was a bit tight, but what can you expect, when the food is good people wait outside for it.

Nice videos Adrian, thanks for posting them!

Hey did anyone see my post for the next ride? What you think?
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #807
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 24,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Julio,
No sugar coating +1 for the food quality at Hangar Cafe. The food taste and quality was A1. The amount of people at the time we were there was a bit high and with the size of us and gear was a bit tight, but what can you expect, when the food is good people wait outside for it.
Cool. Glad you liked it. I warned you about the small space/big crowd. I guess it's a better place when there's a smaller group. There's another one of these types of cafe's at the Mesa Gateway airport. A lot bigger but the food isn't nearly as good. It would have been pretty cool to go this weekend. They had WWII planes on display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Hey did anyone see my post for the next ride? What you think?
I think you're nuts.

I don't have a bike to do that sort of trip. My DRZ hates the pavement.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #808
kyre
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 10
Man, these routes make riding around Chicago pathetic.
Thanks for your help! I can't wait to ride.
kyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #809
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 24,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyre View Post
Man, these routes make riding around Chicago pathetic.
Thanks for your help! I can't wait to ride.
I aint gonna lie
riding here will make you want to pack your stuff and move.

I did just that.
(Bronx transplant)
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #810
kyre
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I aint gonna lie
riding here will make you want to pack your stuff and move.

I did just that.
(Bronx transplant)
After my ride last summer I've contemplated it. My in-laws have a place in Fountain Hills that we've been to a few times. I've loved the area and my wife would leave tomorrow if we could. I'm just not too sure about the job market out there.

I love the sun, dirt bikes, motorcycles, bicycles, shooting, peace and quiet... It's a great place.
kyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014