Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Urgent help needed with KLR 650 clutch lifter arm...

Bike is a 2010 KLR 650.

Again, on the verge of my trip to Ushuaia I am stuck on a Saturday with all the mechanics shops closed in Chile. My clutch cable broke again this morning due to shoddy welding (though it was sufficient to bring me to a big city, where I am now).

So, after buying proper clutch cables and attempting to fit one end into the clutch lifter arm (I think this is what it is called... the swing arm at the bottom end of the clutch cable), I stupidly and naively lifted the clutch release rod (the rod that descends into the case) and rotated it backwards. I figured I could simply find the mushroom head again, but after playing with the rod for several hours, I still cannot get it to catch. I can get the lifter arm positioned correctly (at 90 degrees to the body of the moto), but the rod does not move any further, it is stuck on something.

Is the only way to realign the rod with the mushroom head to take off the case? There is no way to select through the gears and play with the arm to get the mushroom head to realign and catch? The rod has now been out completely and the groove looks used, but not damaged. Like I said, it just seems stuck.

If I need to take the case off, are there any good resources to keep in mind (photos, step by step etc...)? Is this doable without having to replace any parts (assuming we keep the gasket intact)?

Really appreciate the help.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
SlickSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
You can try to place the bike on its side, maybe the rod will go that little bit further in the clutch basket.

Place it on the floor on the side of the clutch basket. It shouldnīt be that hard, I never had to open the side case, infact, they all go in with the cases closed.
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
SlickSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Donīt be afraid to put a bit of force when pushing it down
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I hate when the answer is that I didnīt stay at it long enough... Was simply a question of force. After I had it in place, I convinced myself it wasnīt correct because I couldnīt move the arm forward with my fingers. Guess the idea of the cable and clutch lever is to provide leverage. Duh.

however, I am a bit preoccupied by how far the arm sticks out. See pic. The space between the bottom of the flange on the arm and the case is a good 8 mm... I donīt remember how much space there was before I took it out. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct. The bike seems to be shifting normally otherwise, leading me to believe that itīs fine.

E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
Looks okay to me. Does it work? That's the key answer.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,778
From what I can see it appears to be in right.
Here is a picture of how it should look, I just put this extended arm in the other day.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
sub5pac3
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum View Post
I hate when the answer is that I didnīt stay at it long enough... Was simply a question of force. After I had it in place, I convinced myself it wasnīt correct because I couldnīt move the arm forward with my fingers. Guess the idea of the cable and clutch lever is to provide leverage. Duh.

however, I am a bit preoccupied by how far the arm sticks out. See pic. The space between the bottom of the flange on the arm and the case is a good 8 mm... I donīt remember how much space there was before I took it out. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct. The bike seems to be shifting normally otherwise, leading me to believe that itīs fine.

Hi, did you ever find out for sure if this is normal? I'm having the same exact problem. Looking around the web at various engine photos it seems this part doesn't stick up like this on other KLRs, so I'm worried that something is not aligned correctly, even though it works.
sub5pac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
BergieZA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Having the same problem on a friends KLR650, the clutch release lever sits much higher (about 4-6mm) than when it came out. It is working fine, but that doesn't mean it is not doing damage somewhere on the inside due to misalignment.

Anyone else had this issue?
BergieZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
TheAnt
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergieZA View Post
Having the same problem on a friends KLR650, the clutch release lever sits much higher (about 4-6mm) than when it came out. It is working fine, but that doesn't mean it is not doing damage somewhere on the inside due to misalignment.

Anyone else had this issue?

And that friend is me... Riding the bike at the moment, and seems to be working fine. Just worried about what BergieZA said.
TheAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
It is misaligned, but not by much. Just use the same procedure already mentioned but be willing to wiggle it around some and it should drop down that last bit.

Have a look here at the parts diagram (it's interactive so you can zoom in etc)
http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/Oe...16I1695E1350A1

The rod locates in a bearing in the bottom part of the clutch cover and there's a notch in the shaft that locates it on a rod in the clutch assembly. Obviously it will till work if it's close enough, but you should be able to get it seated all the way down with a little patience.
D_A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #11
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Screenshot of what D_A is talking about.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. I probably should have done that. The notch I'm talking about is right where the leader of the "A" hits the shaft in the pic.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
sub5pac3
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
It is misaligned, but not by much. Just use the same procedure already mentioned but be willing to wiggle it around some and it should drop down that last bit.

Have a look here at the parts diagram (it's interactive so you can zoom in etc)
http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/Oe...16I1695E1350A1

The rod locates in a bearing in the bottom part of the clutch cover and there's a notch in the shaft that locates it on a rod in the clutch assembly. Obviously it will till work if it's close enough, but you should be able to get it seated all the way down with a little patience.
Well I wiggled and wiggled for hours and it never dropped down. I went into the dealership to look at another 2012 just like mine and the one they had just assembled looked exactly like this -- sticking up about 1/4". I'm not saying they assembled it correctly, but if there is a way it should fit other than this I have no idea how to make it happen and apparently neither does my dealer tech. Any Kawasaki certified mechanics or engineers want to throw us a bone here?
sub5pac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
D_A
Studly Adventurer

I'd suggest that so long as you can't just lift it straight up without disconnecting the arm and turning it right around then it should be ok. It obviously works as it is but going any further will possibly require pulling the cover off, and that means dropping the coolant and taking out the pump impeller as well, plus the possible cost of a couple of gaskets.
It would give you a chance to clear the oil strainer etc but it's an added cost you may not want to deal with right now, and I understand that.
If the shaft is secure then don't worry about it too much. It might not be "ideal" but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 136
It's NORMAL, don't worry. They all stick up a little bit. Been there and I took the case off to see that it is NORMAL when it first happened to me. If it's in wrong it will be stuck and not move unless you force it and break it off. Now go ride and don't worry. Really you guys...
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote