Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #151
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post
Big 6 it is, first weekend of March at Glen Helen. IMHO GP's are a lot easier than desert races. Imagine racing on established trails rather than going flat out in open desert - a lot safer and you still have fun because it's competition.

Because they moved Vet races to Saturday I will have to race on Sunday, lucky Race 13 at 12:45pm - Novice Heavyweight.

I will also race unclassified at 7:30am to get familiar with the course. Usually I manage at least 3-4 laps before the checker flag drops, and it really helps in the main race.
Hey Dennis... good luck man. I may come out to watch. I don't know about Grand Prix being easier than desert racing. Ive never gotten arm pump racing in the desert. Not that Im any sort of expert - Ive only ridden in one GP (I think it was a GP, the 24hour at Glen Helen) and one desert race. Anyway, it should be fun.
AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #152
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Im already out for this weekend.... but im racing for sure either the first or second week in march....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #153
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
Thanks. Definitely stop by if you see me. We are going to be driving silver Sprinter.

Btw proper GP's are 45 minutes long, not wonder you were getting arm pump - 24 hours of Glen Helen :)

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneAndy View Post
Hey Dennis... good luck man. I may come out to watch. I don't know about Grand Prix being easier than desert racing. Ive never gotten arm pump racing in the desert. Not that Im any sort of expert - Ive only ridden in one GP (I think it was a GP, the 24hour at Glen Helen) and one desert race. Anyway, it should be fun.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #154
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I have looked around the district 37 website and there isnt very much info on how to get into this. I am looking to do more of a technical race than a high speed one, so I think I should look into enduros? I did road racing last year and am doing a alaska trip this summer, so dirt racing would hold off until the beginning of next year. I will be looking for a bike soon. Seems like the only street legal bike that is an option is a KTM

any other street legal enduro bikes that are cheaper?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #155
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
I have looked around the district 37 website and there isnt very much info on how to get into this. I am looking to do more of a technical race than a high speed one, so I think I should look into enduros? I did road racing last year and am doing a alaska trip this summer, so dirt racing would hold off until the beginning of next year. I will be looking for a bike soon. Seems like the only street legal bike that is an option is a KTM

Go to this page... http://www.district37ama.org/offroad/tools.html

It gives you links to the various entry forms you'll need to sign up. AMA membership is required, then you have to decide which series you want to run, desert, enduro, etc., then look through the list and find out who your steward is and that's where you send you D37 app.

This year they are implementing Moto-Tally scoring, so you will have to buy a $10 transponder that goes under your helmet visor as well. This can be done at sign up.

If technical is what you are looking for, enduro is a pretty good bet, but we are down to only 2 timekeepers in the season, the rest are qualifier format. Still fun and you don't need a bunch of timing equipment.

If you PM me with all your pertinent info (age, skill level, size bike) I can help point you in the right direction.

Can't help you with the bike, I love KTM's but they can be pricey.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #156
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post

you would be surprised how technical these races can be. yes the start is some high speed stuff but within minutes you're in second gear for awhile.
When I started I had to gear my bike down! Get into it.... you'll be hooked in no time
Quote:
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #157
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

So I ran Checkers last weekend, and had a great ride, or so I thought

They had the same format as last year, three separate loops and you can choose to run them in any order, and start by class rather than the traditional Hare and Hound start. It is also timed by row.

So time comes for our row, they were sending us off about every minute, and I think I was on the 4th row. Hey it's been two days, you can't expect me to remember everything.

Dead engine, I get an awesome start, almost too awesome as the bike wheelied, but didn't panic and got the holeshot and led the entire way

I chose to run 3-2-1, and stuck to that plan. Never crashed or really scared myself too bad, was just having a really good day.

Get to the finish, they tell me I'm first in my class, go to the truck and rest for a bit until I see 2nd place come in. We talk and he says I missed a check And to add insult to injury, it was in the first 5 or 6 miles

So I figure I'm done, DQ'ed, but I start talking to people and it seems that more people missed the check and the club sent someone to direct traffic. Grrr...

So I have to wait and see if they throw the check out or I am going to have to appeal the decision. Never been DQ'ed in my life, although nothing is official yet.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #158
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

oh no! that sucks.......and unusual for Checkers. they usually are pretty organized.

Getting the holeshot and leading the entire race - it would be a bummer to be DQed
Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #159
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
oh no! that sucks.......and unusual for Checkers. they usually are pretty organized.

Getting the holeshot and leading the entire race - it would be a bummer to be DQed
No kidding!! In FTR if over 1/2 the riders are determined to have missed it they don't count the check.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #160
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
No kidding!! In FTR if over 1/2 the riders are determined to have missed it they don't count the check.
From D37 rule book...

Section 3. A check shall be considered a legal check if at
least 75% of the riders who check in at the next following
check were in at check in question.

I heard that only 15 or so riders missed the check, but they remarked the corner and put a flagman there nid race. How many would have missed it had they not done that?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #161
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
From D37 rule book...

Section 3. A check shall be considered a legal check if at
least 75% of the riders who check in at the next following
check were in at check in question.

I heard that only 15 or so riders missed the check, but they remarked the corner and put a flagman there nid race. How many would have missed it had they not done that?

yer going to see some controversy behind this and hopefully they will throw it out....
Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #162
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Big 6 it is, first weekend of March at Glen Helen. IMHO GP's are a lot easier than desert races. Imagine racing on established trails rather than going flat out in open desert - a lot safer and you still have fun because it's competition.

Because they moved Vet races to Saturday I will have to race on Sunday, lucky Race 13 at 12:45pm - Novice Heavyweight.

I will also race unclassified at 7:30am to get familiar with the course. Usually I manage at least 3-4 laps before the checker flag drops, and it really helps in the main race.
Do you have your number assigned already Dennis?
AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #163
Motodisiac OP
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
I got V100 but I think they will give me new one because I will be racing on Sunday in heavyweight class.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #164
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I got V100 but I think they will give me new one because I will be racing on Sunday in heavyweight class.
I raced on saturday in the Vet class! Where where you??

I had an absolute BLAST out there on saturday. Rolled up to the start line having never been on this track before - had no idea what to expect. I got a bad start, huge hill climb, huge decent. A huger hillclimb, huger decent, then onto a ridge road, down some steep ass rocky bit, then full on supermoto style in a parking lot! through a creek and onto a car racing track kinda dirt oval thing with jumps! Hello 70 mph air!
I managed to pick off 7 or 8 guys a few of which were on the row in front of me...... no crashes, went fast and held off a leader for a little while. Great day.

Mike was out there kicking ass as usual. unfortunately he got a bad start as well but still kicked a lot of ass. He also went and co-rode a 200 miles race on sunday. ill be curious to hear how that went.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #165
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I raced on saturday in the Vet class! Where where you??

I had an absolute BLAST out there on saturday. Rolled up to the start line having never been on this track before - had no idea what to expect. I got a bad start, huge hill climb, huge decent. A huger hillclimb, huger decent, then onto a ridge road, down some steep ass rocky bit, then full on supermoto style in a parking lot! through a creek and onto a car racing track kinda dirt oval thing with jumps! Hello 70 mph air!
I managed to pick off 7 or 8 guys a few of which were on the row in front of me...... no crashes, went fast and held off a leader for a little while. Great day.

Mike was out there kicking ass as usual. unfortunately he got a bad start as well but still kicked a lot of ass. He also went and co-rode a 200 miles race on sunday. ill be curious to hear how that went.

Barstow 200 went pretty good, I started on the second row with 3 other Senior A teams, got a bad start and had to ride dust for a while. Picked guys off one by one and finished the first 50 mile loop 8th OA and first in class. Donnie took off (we used two bikes), and came in about 5 minutes off pace due to riding the last 20 miles off the loop with a gimpy shock and the bike looking like a lowrider! I took off and all was going well until around the 20 mile mark I hit a BIG G-out in 5th gear and popped my rear tire. Luckily I had a mousse in the front or it would have been toast as well. So I rode the last 30 miles through some very gnarly rocky stuff at somewhat subdued pace, but still had a good lead when I got to the pits. Donnie and crew had swapped the shock on his bike so we didn't have to do a wheel change, and he brought it in 10th OA, 1st in class at 6 hours and 16 minutes.

Results... http://www.moto-tally.com/GXE/Results.aspx