Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Bike dilemma: 700 vs 800 vs 1200

You guys probably hate threads like this. So I'm sorry. But honestly, the sheer amount of knowledge in this forum is just incredible. So I'm hoping to take advantage of it.

Me:
Roughly 6ft tall; hangup is a 29" inseam. All torso. Stubby legs. Slightly chubby 215lbs. But expect to be down in the 190-200lbs in the next few months.

Riding:
I have a 10k mile / month long ride coming up (july), from MPLS to AK and all around. My riding will generally be 80% paved 20% logging/gravel, etc. I highly doubt I'll be doing single track or technical off road.

Bike considerations

F700:
PROS:fit's well, I feel very comfortable straddling it. I like the ability to get ESA, ASC, ABS and all that other shit. Price is the lowest of the bunch so allows plenty of extra money for farkles and gas
CONCERNS: cast vs spoked wheels, I know that's a can of worms, but I would (ideally) like a set of tubeless spoked wheels (which will cost me another $2500 from Woody). Maybe I'm over thinking that part. Given my weight and luggage, I'm curious if the suspension is up to the task of 10k mi touring.

F800:
PROS: love the looks of it, capable, suspension set up fine for what I'm doing
CONCERNS: really don't feel comfortable on it. Granted I tried the seat at the standard height. Just felt too dirt bikey. While wheels are spoked, they aren't tubeless.

R1200GS:
My experience was on the current generation air cooled. If I got the the 1200, I'd get the new LC
PROS: with the seat in the low position, I felt mostly comfortable on the bike. I like the idea of drive shaft vs chain. It's only $500 to upgrade to OEM tubeless spoked wheels. Huge aftermarket. No immediate suspension concerns, could handle me, luggage and (occasional) pillion with OEM set up.
CONS: realistically, it's a great bike, but bigger then I really need. It's certainly the most expensive. First year woes.

So I guess it's mostly between the 700 and the 1200. But I'm still open to thoughts on the 800.

Let me know if I left anything out that would help you with helping me.

thanks

73datsun screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 09:55 AM
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote