ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #21241
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Mostly got ours from Giant Iggle. Ever make Ham BBQ out of it?
Nope, never did. Got a craving and decided to order some the other day.

Would usually get my fix when visiting my sister up outside of Wheeling. She found a close second at one of the local Riesbeck's.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #21242
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Did a little cleaning and maint on the bike today.. r-n-r the tiny backlight bulb on my speedo that was burnt out and finally hardwired in my GPS to switched bike power.. been running around for > year on rechargeable batteries. pure ass laziness.

During cleanup I happened to notice the tab on my subframe that my left side dirt-bagz frame mounts to is mostly cracked and on the verge of breaking off. It's a wimpy little thing to begin with, I think it's original job was to hold up a turn signal so it's gone above and beyond. Need to weld something better on there or at least some gussets to sturdy it before I do any camping. Guy check your PM's.,
In need of a quick (or maybe permanent) fix you can probably find something here that will work http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/cab...071&sst=subset
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #21243
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
In need of a quick (or maybe permanent) fix you can probably find something here that will work http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/cab...071&sst=subset

In a pinch I would definitely use this clamp + a glob of jbweld, zipties and some tape.. but I'm not so looking to do something permanent.

Hey Eddy, did you take Gabriel out to Charles City track on the little KTM?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #21244
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
a glob of jbweld, zipties and some tape..
Now you are talking serious work
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #21245
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,188
You don't have to be going warp speed for everything to go pear shaped in a hurry.

Crazy crash video while going less than 10mph.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867625

Jump to 5 minutes in the video.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #21246
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Damn, good thing he made it out o.k; that looked rough.
Anyone getting into anything this afternoon? I'm getting a little stir crazy in the house.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #21247
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,106
Quote:
In a pinch I would definitely use this clamp + a glob of jbweld, zipties and some tape.. but I'm not so looking to do something permanent.

Hey Eddy, did you take Gabriel out to Charles City track on the little KTM?
I did. He loves what he describes as "soft landings and not being bounced around hard." Now when he comes down from being airborne, you don't hear a loud "CLUNK" from the rear end bottoming out. He split his time between the KTM and PW. He still needs a lot of time to get used to the height, power and disc front brake. I kept telling him to squeeze softly but he is used to the tiny drums on the PW. He tucked the front end a few times by jamming on the front brake mid turn. I think it really surprised him when he got ham fisted with the throttle and the rear end broke loose 12" to the left. I took some pictures but need to post later, busy right now...

P.S. Put some knobbies on this thing increase the range and that would be cool! Dual sporting with A/C/heat, a kicking stereo and no helmet!
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...ntcmp=features

Boon Booni, that was SCARY! So glad he's okay but when he looks around and says "WTF? Where's my bike?" I must admit that I laughed out! It could have been so MUCH worse...Maybe it's the time working in the ER, but I always think to myself when I am a very rural area "Where is the nearest trauma center and could a helicopter get to me here?" Fortunately, he had a SPOT and activated it...

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 11:17 AM Reason: Eye kant spell whel
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #21248
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
You don't have to be going warp speed for everything to go pear shaped in a hurry.

Crazy crash video while going less than 10mph.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867625

Jump to 5 minutes in the video.
He may have been doing only 10 mph but it looked a lot faster on video. When he started up that last section I was already saying "Oh Fuck" he can't see far enough ahead to be going that fast considering all the large rocks around there and the fact that he's out in BF Egypt. He's lucky to be alive. It really shook me up just watching it. Now I know why that little voice keeps telling me "nope your'e not going there". I know my limits and listen to that little voice.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 08:38 AM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #21249
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
He may have been doing only 10 mph but it looked a lot faster on video. When he started up that last section I was already saying "Oh Fuck" he can't see far enough ahead to be going that fast considering all the large rocks around there and the fact that he's out in BF Egypt. He's lucky to be alive.
I don't know how fast he was going, but I'm guessing he was going less than 10mph because it seems like he's in 1st gear and as he gets out of shape he nearly stalls the bike. Could have been 2nd gear though. I haven't watched the video to try and figure out his shifting.

Definitely lucky to be alive. That bike bounced right next to him, could easily have been bouncing off his back.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #21250
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,677
Wow, I was thinking how nice the riding looked then, Oh F*#!....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #21251
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Interior Dept fee free days

Well the Feds are planning on giving me 22 days off for the sequestration but you'll can visit National Parks and other areas for free during the year. Click on link and scroll down to the bottom for the list of areas and dates.

http://www.doi.gov/news/pressrelease...s-for-2013.cfm
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #21252
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I don't know how fast he was going, but I'm guessing he was going less than 10mph because it seems like he's in 1st gear and as he gets out of shape he nearly stalls the bike. Could have been 2nd gear though. I haven't watched the video to try and figure out his shifting.

Definitely lucky to be alive. That bike bounced right next to him, could easily have been bouncing off his back.
From the speed I figured it was 2nd gear. Could be wrong. I didn't have the audio on when I watched it. For the 5 minutes after the off, I keep wondering where his riding buddy was.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #21253
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
I think that having no memory of the incident and realizing that you took a hard blow to the head would be the worst part... Hope there's no long-term damage and that he's back in the saddle. Think I'm going to have to read that thread. The TAT is something I want to do at least a part of one of these days soon.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #21254
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Morton's Spring Fling tent camping at Natural Bridge KOA

Morton's Spring Fling is May 17-19, 2013. I plan to tent camp in the Meadow at the Natural Bridge KOA. Cost is $10/person per night to tent camp in the Meadow. Call Carrie at the Natural Bridge KOA ( 800-562-8514 or 540-291-2770) to make reservations and let her know you want to tent camp in the Meadow and you're with the BMW Group for the group rate. All are welcome!!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #21255
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,934
TAT crash video

I was thinking of sending that to my nephew, but after watching it. No Fcking way. If his folks saw that, they'd never let him go.

All I can say is where was his buddy? Wow. Glad he was okay. It might only have been 10 mph, but it was also every it of a 10 foot drop, with a 400 lb bike and gear on it. Wow.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote