Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
You really shouldn't mess with the fuel screw until the bike is fully warmed up, take it for a 5-10min ride. Then start tweaking 1/4 turn at a time, giving it a few seconds to respond in between.

You'll almost definitely have to go to a larger pilot jet.

Past Rides: 1994 KTM 400 EXC WP/D LC4 - Plated; 2001 BMW F650GS Thumper; 1970 CB175; 2003 KLR250
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,431
The key to making it is going to be how you ride it. If you ride it like you stole it, you will not make it to the Grand Canyon. If you take it easy on the revving, keep the air filter clean and plan for regular oil changes, you will not have a problem.

I would get a couple of filter skins and use those to lengthen time between filter cleaning. I would check the oil and water levels every morning.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 566
Hey, I just came across this thread. It should be of some use to you.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563090
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
Pinchot Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Tune it up, load it up and GO!

I ride my 500 EXC all over the PNW for days. No problems. Hitting the roads only to access fuel stops or convenience shops on the way. Plan your trip, camp sites, fuel and maintenance stops before you leave.
Fuel will be your biggest issue as it was mine. Install bigger tank, extra rotopax gas and water can on back fender, I have a giant loop coyote bag for all my gear (Tent, bag, minimal clothes, spare tubes and some spare parts and of course some tools). I also have a gps mounted and always carry a Spot finder when out. On long trips I email my GPS route to friends and family. For long trips you need to plan a stop for maintenance, possibly an oil change etc. Most gas stations in the middle of the sticks will lend you a pan and some rags to drain your oil. Take it slow to keep fuel range up and also life of rear tire! still having a problem with that as bike is so fun.
160 miles a day on my 500 EXC is max for me. With 4.5 gallons total can get 200 + miles if I go very easy.
Be sure to get some short day trips on to adjust with gear on bike.
Pack it up and go
Have fun, Nick
Pinchot Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishiwasamechanic View Post
I have a 2006 ktm 400 exc, street legal. I plan on riding from ohio to the Grand Canyon . Is it gonna make it, will it break down a thousand times?
If you need to ask this question, especially in this way, it's most likely not the bike to take on this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishiwasamechanic View Post
Also I'm having a problem with backfire on deceleration,
Common problem, leaking exhaust flange header. Read this thread at ktmtalk (if you can't read it because you're not a member, then sign up).

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=393949
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #21
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Common problem, leaking exhaust flange header. Read this thread at ktmtalk (if you can't read it because you're not a member, then sign up).

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=393949
I've had good luck with the Permatex goop on my 530 and on a buddy's 2004 450 (same vintage as yours). But . . . there were some "burrs and imperfections" on his manifold flange that I filed away.

If HT-Racing still has the oil cooler/reservoir I'd HIGHLY recommend that. Your bike will run cooler and be alot happier. It won't (really) extend oil changes but you'll have a bit more "give" in the schedule, then.

Those engines are quite tough IF not ridden at race RPMs. The valves (clearances) will be fine if you don't constantly pin it.

Now . . . I hope you're not going to do this on the OEM saddle, a penal colony device if there ever was one.

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #22
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
If you need to ask this question, especially in this way, it's most likely not the bike to take on this trip.
Excellent point, the 400 is capabible of making that ride, a well taken care of TW200 could make that ride. My point is only you can determine the condition of your bike and the manner in which you ride it.

A better question would have been; What do I need to do and watch out for when riding from X to Y?
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #23
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
I think you should take a couple of trial weekends on the bike before you embark on such an awesome adventure. Traveling/ camping off of the bike is the only way to go in my book. But be prepared. Read a few ride reports, spend a little time to find the route that suites your style best, but most of all, don't forget to pull the trigger and go. I sure wish I had started 20 years earlier when the obligations were less pressing. Have a great time!!
As always, alot of good advice here. I would like to double reinforce Effinsteve's advice here. Start out by taking a couple long weekends close to home. Live off the bike. Test all your gear. Hell, just make all day loops and camp in your yard. Do all required maintenance with the tools you carry. If you reach for it and its not there, add it to the kit. Ride in the rain, alot! Get used to it and check your foul weather gear. Keep reading here.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Iwishiwasamechanic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks everyone all of the input is greatly appreciated and I'm taking everything into consideration. I just got this ktm is why I was asking for, what I are rode its great I'm just not completely familiar with the bike. I have about 3 mo ths before I take a trip , the first day of warmth ill be doing nothing but trial rises at the local mud spot and a couple of hour rode rides.again thanks
Iwishiwasamechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
Iwishiwasamechanic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
(Please excuse the poor sentence structure and misspelling iPads make no sense)
Iwishiwasamechanic is offline   Reply With Quote