ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,988
CannonTracks - Eagle River WI/Keweenaw Peninsula MI

This is a new dual sport track for those who may base out of Eagle River, WI including those who attend the Central ADV Rally. This ride includes tracks for a more dirt oriented path and a route for big bikes that parallels the track but is more street oriented. This track is intended to be ridden as an overnighter. There is a lot to take in along the way. Camping is available at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula at High Rock Bay. Motels are available in Copper Harbor (along with State Park camping).

Dirt track. Ridden clockwise, it is about 215 miles from Eagle River to the tip and about 201 miles back to the start. You will need a Michigan ORV sticker to ride the ORV trails that are part of this route. That sticker can be purchased on-line at http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp.

Big bike route. The route is 416 miles long and is divided approximately the same as the dirt track as far as daily mileage.

The two together. This is set up so that mixed groups of dirt and big bikes could make the "same" trip and meet up at certain points of interest along the way.

Right now I can't get GPX files to upload, so if you want the track PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it right out.

Closer views.

Additional details, photographs, points of interest, web links, and discussion in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541778
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Interactive Map

Here is a link for an interactive map of the dirt oriented track so you can zoom in and take a look at the terrain.

Interactive Map
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,138
Sweet, nice job!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
tarrans

Oddometer: n/a
Hey CannonShot - Fellow WI rider lurking in here for a while now. Getting ready to gear up for this Adventure riding. Just got my 60CSX and realize there is a lot to learn. Thanks for these tracks - they have been helping to stoke the fires of my new addiction.
your contribution here is very appreciated!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Files Available for Download Again

These tracks are now available again for download. Many thanks to fellow ADVer deputyjones who offered some server space.

Go to http://dsam-mi.org/GPS_Files/ and you will see a directory of folders that contain the files. You should be able to choose the proper directory without much trouble. The individual files will have names that are the same as or similar to the file names listed when the files were hosted on ADV.

The files are listed as .zip files. If you left click/open the file, you will open it in your computer's temporary internet directory. Depending on how you have your computer set up, clicking on the .gpx will open the file with Mapsource so you can look at it. Remember, it is in your temporary internet files.

To save the file in one of your neatly filed directories, "left click/save" or "right click/save target as" and put it where you want to keep it.

Some of the files have an associated spreadsheet file with points of interest (Black Hills, Pony Express, etc). Same procedures apply.

Happy to have quick and easy access to these files again.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Cooksend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Have been on almost the same route a couple of times and it is a great ride. Lots to see and places to explore if you find yourself a bit sidetracked...
Cooksend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
TheVelourFog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
this was my first long distance off-road ride and it was great. thanks for the gps tracks.
TheVelourFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Replacing lost file.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx CannonTracks Keweenaw Eagle R3.gpx (155.8 KB, 38 views)