Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #736
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I got it with the bike. I have a spare one similar I was thinking of saving in case I ever need it after some knarly crash. Persuade me enough and maybe I'll sell it to you. you have an offer? its in great shape, a couple minor scuffs.
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #737
RetroRider2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Bash plate or engine guard question

I am going on the Rick's Rondevouz rally in May and want your advice on protection for my 2012 G650GS. I was thinking about getting the BMW engine guard and someone suggested I get the bash plate instead. Should I just save up and get both or would one of them be enough. I do not have much experience with rocks as I live in Florida and this is my first Dual Sport bike. (Mostly sand, dirt and red clay around here) Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #738
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRider2 View Post
I am going on the Rick's Rondevouz rally in May and want your advice on protection for my 2012 G650GS. I was thinking about getting the BMW engine guard and someone suggested I get the bash plate instead. Should I just save up and get both or would one of them be enough. I do not have much experience with rocks as I live in Florida and this is my first Dual Sport bike. (Mostly sand, dirt and red clay around here) Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
I'm fairly sure the engine guard is for total spills, i.e. when/if you lay your bike down. The skid plate, on the other hand, would be better for rocks/clearance issues, and would probably be utilized far more than the engine guard. I say get the skid plate instead of the engine guard. Unless you're going super offroad where there's a possibility of laying down your bike every 5 seconds, I never saw the appeal of the engine guard.
kid_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #739
RetroRider2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks Kid-A for the suggestion.

Ride safe,
Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #740
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
The OEM skid plate (rounded aluminum plate under the engine) is actually pretty flimsy. It will deflect loose gravel. For something serious you need to go aftermarket. I bought the OEM one with my bike, ended up getting one made of 1/4" aluminum plate for more protection. The water pump and clutch are vulnerable so having a bash plate that wraps around them is a good idea.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #741
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.y2k View Post
The beak will only fit the 11+ body.Its OEM beak from Sertao.
Could always order one, try it (mock up) and send it back....Still curious if it fits well even if the front flanges aren't on the later models.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #742
Nickcamera
Adventurer

peak on 09

I put the peak on my 09, looks fine to me.
take a look in the link below. thoughts?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159537...45249/09G650gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Could always order one, try it (mock up) and send it back....Still curious if it fits well even if the front flanges aren't on the later models.
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #743
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
RetroRider2
I have the same set up and its fine... go with the skid/bash plate first. I have the Touratech one and its pretty sweet but heavy... which is good in some ways as it is very rugged. At least the weight is all very low centre of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickcamera View Post
I put the peak on my 09, looks fine to me.
take a look in the link below. thoughts?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159537...45249/09G650gs

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #744
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

G650GS Official Thread

This thread needs more action... I think everyone is on the G650GS Sertao thread instead

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #745
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Hot Start Issue

Well I got my bike back from the dealership yesterday. They are indeed aware of the issue and they gladly fixed it under warranty.

I know there has been a lot of talk about the issue, so I thought I'd put some actual info down from my dealership statement.

They changed the Compression spring and Roll Pin and the Decompression Lever.
They said the Compression Spring is a new spec and the Decompression Lever is a new design altogether.

Anyways... seems to work.. It's only been two days but no issues as of yet.

I did notice there is a huge change in engine "sound" and it accelerates differently... that could be a "placebo" effect but the engine noise is definitely different.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #746
Albatros
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
12v

Not all 650 comes with a 12v connector. I have to put one for a trip I'm going to do. Some of you did it? And how did it? I think it is as simple as connecting the cable to the battery and put a fuse. What do you think? Do you believe that the battery has the ability to withstand any electronic device? Any of you have a graphic of how to do? Thanks in advance.
Albatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #747
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

BMW G650GS With Excel 21 Inch front

I just fitted my G650GS with Excel Takasago rims. YEP! Sweet!

I've fitted the front with a 21 inch front. So if you're thinking about it... It is possible. No issues what so ever. My project is coming a long nicely! I have the Leo Vince to be installed next weekend.

Wasn't sure if I would post this on here or the Sertao thread since a lot of the G650 action seems to be over there... but figured I'd post here in the end.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #748
mramosc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post

I've fitted the front with a 21 inch front. So if you're thinking about it... It is possible. No issues what so ever. My project is coming a long nicely! I have the Leo Vince to be installed next weekend.

Wasn't sure if I would post this on here or the Sertao thread since a lot of the G650 action seems to be over there... but figured I'd post here in the end.

Wow, tht looks great! Back when I got my bike, I thought of maybe getting the Sertao in stead, but I didn't feel comfortable as it was way to tall for me and since it was going to be my very first bike, I was scared that it would just make things more difficult for me as I learn. (Besides I just like it in Red... I know, I know, that's really silly, but well when I saw it in te showroom, I just could resist)
So I'm very happy with my regular G650, but I would eventually like to modify it to something in between a regular and a Sertao; pretty much what you've done.
Please post more pictures!
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #749
copter105
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post

Are you interested in selling your original front rim at all?
copter105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #750
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRider2 View Post
You really need both but i have the stock bash plate on my '09 and it's been fine even in CO. First thing I added to my bike was the SW Motech engine guards and they've saved the bike several times on both sides.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote