User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #2506
ssmschulz
Sherpa Rider

Oddometer: 139
Love the Sherpa but...

So I love my sherpa. Reliable and fun. When my other bikes are in the shop the Sherpa fills in. Today I went out for some single track fun and the sherpa kicked ass except for some areas that I needed more clearance. Anyone know what shock I could put in the rear to give it a little more clearance?
ssmschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #2507
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
+1 on all of the above. I only use soft bags, only exception is the hard cases that came on my other bike, the ST.

And when you're looking for bags, especially panniers, don't forget to look into bicycle luggage. Ortlieb only makes two or three MC specific sets but has more than a dozen bicycle pannier choices, all waterproof , rugged and light. And they use essentially the same quick release clamp system as the MC bags. My side racks ride very low and forward so I was able to get the biggest size they have - I sometimes carry a lot of gear - but they shrink well.

[IMG][/IMG]

And when you're looking for a specialty item, something to fill in a random space, you can find lots of shapes and sizes that no one would ever make for the motorcycle market. Like this kidney-shaped pair I got at Nashbar for $40 when I ran out of room on the tourer:

[IMG][/IMG]

Soft bags take bumps a lot better than hard ones.It seems obvious that they'd be a lot easier on your frame.
Who's side racks are those on the Sherpa?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #2508
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Sherpa

Hello, This is the first forum I have joined ( NEWBIE ), So here goes. I have purchased a 2000 Kawi Sherpa with 372 miles, wanted one since i first seen it NEW at Dealership back in 1999, We'll I finally got one in the condition that I was looking for and have been monitoring all web threads since that time that list problems with this bike. Dr.Jeklle upgrade installed #130 main #20 pilot and adjusted air/fuel screw to 2 3/4 turns. We'll it starts and runs great BUT the head pipe still get's red hot at idle after running 3 to 4 minutes idle. Does any body Have any advice other than turning air/fuel screw out further until it stops burning lean
SHERPA-OR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #2509
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Who's side racks are those on the Sherpa?
The top rack is the Happy Trails Wapiti rack. The bag on top is the Chase-Harper B Alaska bag. The side racks are Happy Trails OSR racks.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #2510
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
The top rack is the Happy Trails Wapiti rack. The bag on top is the Chase-Harper B Alaska bag. The side racks are Happy Trails OSR racks.
Thank you for the information.

With the OSR racks, the installation instructions call for relocating the turn signals. As best I can tell from your picture, they are in the stock location on your bike?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #2511
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Thank you for the information.

With the OSR racks, the installation instructions call for relocating the turn signals. As best I can tell from your picture, they are in the stock location on your bike?
Ah well, funny story there. Sort of.

As far as I can figure it, Happy Trails sent me the wrong rack. The upper mounting point came nowhere near the turn signal mounting point. I just made a clamp and mounted it to the grab handle.

I like having the turn signals tucked away in there inside the racks, safe from the ground when I inevitably drop the thing. To compensate for the reduced visibility, I mounted the auxiliary tail/stop/turn light at the top of the license plate.
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #2512
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERPA-OR1 View Post
Hello, This is the first forum I have joined ( NEWBIE ), So here goes. I have purchased a 2000 Kawi Sherpa with 372 miles, wanted one since i first seen it NEW at Dealership back in 1999, We'll I finally got one in the condition that I was looking for and have been monitoring all web threads since that time that list problems with this bike. Dr.Jeklle upgrade installed #130 main #20 pilot and adjusted air/fuel screw to 2 3/4 turns. We'll it starts and runs great BUT the head pipe still get's red hot at idle after running 3 to 4 minutes idle. Does any body Have any advice other than turning air/fuel screw out further until it stops burning lean
Congratulations on getting a terrific bike! And welcome to the forum.

I used to wonder about this very situation, not with my Sherpa, but with my KLX250S. I really thought there was something wrong until a few of the fellows on the forums said they just do that, not to worry too much about it. So I decided to stop worrying about it and I haven't had any issues. As a matter of fact, in January, I did my "annual" maintenance on all the bikes, and this time included valves (because I broke down and bought the giant shim kits). I thought that I would find darkened areas around the exhaust valves from oil baking on, but was super surprised to see that those areas were as good looking as everywhere else!

So don't worry too much about it, I try to keep it to a minimum on my bikes. Just more than anything, enjoy your new ride!

Best regards,

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #2513
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Sherpa OR1,

If you have re-jetted you should be fine. However, if you choke it when you start it up, and allow it to run at a fast idle like that, it will still get red on the header pipe. Choke it, then push the choke all the way back in after a minute and it should not be red hot, even at night. It will still warm up, just not at the higher rev/richer mixture.

Mine can idle with no choke pretty much all day long and not get the reddish color on the pipe.

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #2514
PBOB
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 289
So, after moving the luggage rack back 4-5". I fabricated an el-cheapo seat out of an old life jacket. Then, covered it in duct tape. Next I used my sheep fur gel seat as the top padding for comfort. It's actually not too bad. Best part- it didn't cost me any money, I never really altered the bikes stock configuration, and a couple slashes of a knife and you would never know this was on there.

1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #2515
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068

I stared at this for a little while, thinking in turn "what a strange way to mount the ammo tin", followed by "it's not even a Sherpa", followed by "and what's he prattling on about a life jacket for, I can't see a life jacket".

Eventually I gave up in puzzlement and scrolled down...
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #2516
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Cool2 Still checking it out, will look for exhaust leak at header and maybe vacuum leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post
Sherpa OR1,

If you have re-jetted you should be fine. However, if you choke it when you start it up, and allow it to run at a fast idle like that, it will still get red on the header pipe. Choke it, then push the choke all the way back in after a minute and it should not be red hot, even at night. It will still warm up, just not at the higher rev/richer mixture.

Mine can idle with no choke pretty much all day long and not get the reddish color on the pipe.

Ken
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #2517
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 290
Sherpa reliability, my cousin has 21000+ miles on his just oil changes still on original chain and rear sprocket. He does baby it, not much offroad except some dirt roads and easy trails, but still impressive.
Ferdinand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #2518
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Laugh Sherpa: High miles

Yes Ferdinand, I did a lot of research before purchasing the Sherpa, Wanted something smaller for off/road excursions but still be able to keep up with traffic and also last me quite a long time with regular maintance. Could of went with a bigger bike KLR, F650, but have never liked watercooled bikes all that much. Had a Kawi KLX300 dualsported a few years back and it would heat up a stoplights and made my mind up aircooled only, I grew up riding old dirt bikes in the late 70's and early 80's, I always had a bike up until I got married in the early 90's, But have not ridden much since and have never ridden any distance beyond a hundred miles. Decided turning 50 later this year and cannot wait any longer so along came the Sherpa with about a month's worth of riding on it and snapped it up. Hard to find here have only seen 2 advertised other than mine in the last couple of years. The Sherpa is being transformed into a future long distance dual porpose with everything it needs, I will post pic's when finished, Hopefully in the next few weeks just a couple more things to add to it and get it running right. AND AWAY I GO SOMEWHERE.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #2519
PBOB
MOTO NUT

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post

I stared at this for a little while, thinking in turn "what a strange way to mount the ammo tin", followed by "it's not even a Sherpa", followed by "and what's he prattling on about a life jacket for, I can't see a life jacket".

Eventually I gave up in puzzlement and scrolled down...

....I didn't do a very good job of taking pictures of the process. But the bike was in a stock layout with the original luggage rack to begin with. I then took an ammo can and mounted it on the luggage rack a yr ago by drilling a few holes in the bottom of the ammo can and then using u bolts through the bottom of the ammo can bolted around the rack center bars- not seen in the pictures.
... Then a couple nights ago I moved the rack back to the the furthest most holes on the base plate. But with any weight, the rack would just tilt back and hit the top of the tail light. So I then drilled one hole on each side on the base of the rear rack and put u bolts through there to keep rack from tilting backwards. Doing that gave an extra 4-5" of possible seat room.
... So I then cut open an old life jacket lying around and used the foam to fill in the empty space between the rack and the end of the seat. I then covered the foam with layers of duct tape. The blue/orange portion of strap you see is running through the center of the homemade seat pad and ratcheted down to keep the seat in firm position.
...and lastly I put the sheep fur seat on top.
- again I should have taken pictures along the way, but it's pretty red-neck of a setup anyway. Still it serves its purpose. And if the passenger doesn't like it, I can just rip it off and move the rack back the way it was, and I'm not out any $.
That's what I was trying to show...
1995 Honda XR650L (in Shasta white and Uranus violet of course)
The list is long, I'll stop there....
PBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #2520
SHERPA-OR1
n00b

Glowing red hot header pipe

We'll I got a chance to work on the Sherpa today was able to remove carb. again adjust float and recheck air/fuel screw adjustment and reset. No more red hot pipe , Installed handle bar/lever protectors, accesory 12 volt outlet, headlight guard, Husky folding mirrors, and Happy Trails racks, top plate and Imnaha side boxes and 14 Litre top box. Only thing left to do is extend wires for rear turn signels, modify and install Klr650 skid plate, put the new Heidenau K60 Scout tires and it is finished.