ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #31
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
Thanks for the inputs...keep em' coming.

Dissapointed to hear about the Kenda Rear. I only need it to last me throught his four day trip which is mostly dirt.

As for the extra fuel, I broke down and bought two 1 gal Rotopax canisters (1 fuel and 1 water). I like the idea of a cot!
I'll be running Motoz. My buddy swears by them and they get good reviews as a tire for the 990. I don't own a 990 (I'll be running the 690 leaving the big bike at home) but read about the kickstand location being an issue on the 990. Have you relocated it?

I'll be trailering two wives, mine and my buddies, it's just a coincidence that the bikes will fit in the trailer.

CanadianX screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:57 AM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #32
go2cnavy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
go2cnavy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Newport, RI
Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
I'll be running Motoz. My buddy swears by them and they get good reviews as a tire for the 990. I don't own a 990 (I'll be running the 690 leaving the big bike at home) but read about the kickstand location being an issue on the 990. Have you relocated it?

I'll be trailering two wives, mine and my buddies, it's just a coincidence that the bikes will fit in the trailer.
Relocating the kickstand was the first mod I did. Leaving the wife at home was the second
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #33
Berger
Studly Adventurer
 
Berger's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 661
Hey guys.

I didn't want to post this within the main thread on the rally, but are you all aware of this http://algonquinlandclaim.ca/ ?

If people do not stand up to this BS, this rally won't have much of a future on crown land.


Sent from my iPhone
__________________
2014 Triumph Tiger XC
2007 Ural Patrol w/ mods

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916
Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!
 
juames's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,311
__________________
Roaming Rally 2011RR2012 RR2013 RR14
"I don't hate people...I just feel better when they are not around." - Henry Chinaski
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,235
What's everyone running for nav? GPS, smartphone, mini tablet, sextant?
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #36
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!
 
juames's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
What's everyone running for nav? GPS, smartphone, mini tablet, sextant?
Definitely a GPS that can handle track files, or you'll get lost for sure!
__________________
Roaming Rally 2011RR2012 RR2013 RR14
"I don't hate people...I just feel better when they are not around." - Henry Chinaski
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #37
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Definitely a GPS that can handle track files, or you'll get lost for sure!
Yeah looking at options as my zumo 550 isn't going to cut it. There are some cool apps for smartphones that work really well and I was thinking, as many have that a mini tablet would be awesome - provided you could protect it well enough.

Likely will end up with a montana, price is a bit high but it seems be the tool for the job.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #38
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Yeah looking at options as my zumo 550 isn't going to cut it. There are some cool apps for smartphones that work really well and I was thinking, as many have that a mini tablet would be awesome - provided you could protect it well enough.

Likely will end up with a montana, price is a bit high but it seems be the tool for the job.
You won't want to rely on cellular service for navigation. You need a device that can track satellutes.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vonotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Oddometer: 247
I've been using the Montana with good results
__________________
"It flicked me pretty high and I landed back on the bike so hard I thought I'd swallowed my own nuts!"
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #40
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Metro Toronto
Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Yeah looking at options as my zumo 550 isn't going to cut it.
You can just convert the files to Zumo/Nuvi friendly.
georgedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #41
go2cnavy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
go2cnavy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Newport, RI
Oddometer: 502
I have a shitty e-trex hcx... It should work ok but the screen is really small.
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #42
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!
 
juames's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedaman View Post
You can just convert the files to Zumo/Nuvi friendly.
Been tried and never really works, only way is to make a map overlay. But if you do any amount of dual sport adventure riding where trails are involved most of them will not be on maps so a GPS that does tracks is worth getting. Not only allows you to load tracks on to it, but save tracks of where you've been.
__________________
Roaming Rally 2011RR2012 RR2013 RR14
"I don't hate people...I just feel better when they are not around." - Henry Chinaski
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #43
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Metro Toronto
Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Been tried and never really works, only way is to make a map overlay. But if you do any amount of dual sport adventure riding where trails are involved most of them will not be on maps so a GPS that does tracks is worth getting. Not only allows you to load tracks on to it, but save tracks of where you've been.
What did you use to convert it? Just curious.
I'm using a program that allows me up to 200 waypoints and thats more then enough for me.
georgedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!
 
juames's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedaman View Post
What did you use to convert it? Just curious.
I'm using a program that allows me up to 200 waypoints and thats more then enough for me.
Others have tried it, I stick to the basics and use tracks.
__________________
Roaming Rally 2011RR2012 RR2013 RR14
"I don't hate people...I just feel better when they are not around." - Henry Chinaski
juames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #45
Gas_Man
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gas_Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: The Garden State
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Others have tried it, I stick to the basics and use tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedaman View Post
What did you use to convert it? Just curious.
I'm using a program that allows me up to 200 waypoints and thats more then enough for me.
I have used this a few times. But be aware, no conversion is perfect. There will be deviations from the track files.

http://www.sackman.info/

Good luck.
__________________
Very funny young man, but it's turtles, all the way down.
Gas_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014