Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #106
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus636 View Post
Just looking at the cams so the 990 and SD are different to the 950 cams. So how do they fit in the 950s as have pitted lobes on my 950 want to know my options.
They do fit, the extra bit on the end of the 950 cam doesn't interfere with anything in the later engines.

In case anyone's interested, I've got a set of 990 stock cams (the K601s shown in the photo above) that I should probably sell (too much junk, not enough room). However these are the least "desirable" cam judging by the research in this thread! In fact I've got most of a 950 engine in the corner of my garage ...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #107
aus636
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
950 camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
They do fit, the extra bit on the end of the 950 cam doesn't interfere with anything in the later engines.

In case anyone's interested, I've got a set of 990 stock cams (the K601s shown in the photo above) that I should probably sell (too much junk, not enough room). However these are the least "desirable" cam judging by the research in this thread! In fact I've got most of a 950 engine in the corner of my garage ...
So do you have a set of 950 camshafts you want to sell which are in good condition with no signs of pitting.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #108
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,108
I think i do ;)
Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #109
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus636 View Post
So do you have a set of 950 camshafts you want to sell which are in good condition with no signs of pitting.
Sadly no, the 950 cams are currently in use (in a 990 engine).
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #110
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,711
Looking for 990 CAMS

Wanted, a set of 990 Adv cams, want to try them in a 950 motor for more low-end mid-range torque.

I have a set of 950 cams that look good. They do have 60k miles.

I also have a set of pitted 950 cams, good for re-grinding.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #111
BillyD OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Personally, I think the stock 990 cams are a freak of nature that might work well in a Honda three wheeler.

I wouldn't bother.

Long Term Update:

I continue to ride the wheels off my 970 with 950 cams and love it. I still have a set of SD cams sitting on the shelf, but the bike is working so well, I've had zero motivation to mess with it. I've just been changing oil and filters and riding it. Moved onto other projects...

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.

BillyD screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 03:12 PM
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #112
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
I am cam ignorant and wondering whether the SE cams are the same as all the rest 950 model cams.
Also, if someone wants to improve on the SE cams, which ones should they use?
Would more power up top mean less power down low? How about the midrange?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #113
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,711
The SE and the Adv 950 motors are the same. I'm building an SE-Like bike from an Adv 950 and want a really mild, torque motor. I rarely rev my 990 over 5000 rpm even on the highway. That's why I want to try the 990 Adv cams.

Zuber screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 10:22 AM
Zuber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #114
Ferdinando
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi friends, i read all thread but i no understand... can i fit 990 cams (code 610) on my 950?
Sorry for my little English :

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2
Ferdinando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #115
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Yes, the cams across all of the 950s and 990s are interchangeable. So this means that you can take the cams out of a SMR or SD and drop them into a 950 ADV or the other way around. If I recall my part numbers correctly, the 2011+ ADV-R cams are the same as the Super Duke cams.... These cams will go right into a 03+ 950 ADV

You will of course need to reset the clearances. You will also want to use special assembly lube on the cams and all associated surfaces to help them break into their new home in the heads. Redline makes a excellent assembly lube, I use it on all of the cams that go back into a engine after setting clearances.... just to make sure there is no issue on startup.

Then there is the larger issue, what cam profile is 'correct' for the application.... Fuel injection cams tend to be different than carberation cams
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #116
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Cool2 Mapping for SD Cams in '07 990 Adv.

Can't find answer to this so thought I'd try this old thread: do 2009-11 990 Adv. cams (SD cams) swapped into an '07-'08 990 Adv. just need fuel map changes, or do the ignition maps need to be changed as well?
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #117
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtowner View Post
Can't find answer to this so thought I'd try this old thread: do 2009-11 990 Adv. cams (SD cams) swapped into an '07-'08 990 Adv. just need fuel map changes, or do the ignition maps need to be changed as well?

All of the cams from all of the 03-12 LC8 engines are interchangeable. The 2013 USA 990 as well, RTW got the new 1190 in 2013 so that is a no go (its basically similar to a RC8 engine/cam), then the 2014+ for USA...

The 07-08 ECU for the ADV will run a copied SD map (fuel and ignition), however isn't necessarily a requirement to run the SD cams, but specific alterations to the map set after installing SD cams will probably net more/better power.

My 06' 950 ADV has 07 SD cams, SD throttle bodies/EFI and SD exhaust doesn't run well on a 'ADV' modified tune, but does run well on a modified SDR (copied into the ADV ECU) map set. As presently setup it ignores the O2 sensors and has the secondary flies physically removed (not just set to 100% in ECU map). I want to turn the O2 sensors back on and get it to self adjust better because as it is now it doesn't get very good MPG, but it hauls a$$.

I also have a early set of RC8 throttle bodies that I want to try (direct bolt on, larger ID bore than the ADV/SD bodies, different injectors), but want to get the current setup refined before I add an additional variable to the equation.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #118
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Sounds like I can run '07 990 Adv. ignition maps and just change up the fueling. Anyone else do this on an '07-'08 990 Adv. and leave ignition mapping alone?

I've installed PCV with autotune wideband O2 sensors so I think on fuel I'd just start with an '09 fuel map/'07 ignition map installed from TuneECU and go from there on fueling. Anyone have luck with that route?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #119
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
All of the cams from all of the 03-12 LC8 engines are interchangeable. The 2013 USA 990 as well, RTW got the new 1190 in 2013 so that is a no go (its basically similar to a RC8 engine/cam), then the 2014+ for USA...

The 07-08 ECU for the ADV will run a copied SD map (fuel and ignition), however isn't necessarily a requirement to run the SD cams, but specific alterations to the map set after installing SD cams will probably net more/better power.

My 06' 950 ADV has 07 SD cams, SD throttle bodies/EFI and SD exhaust doesn't run well on a 'ADV' modified tune, but does run well on a modified SDR (copied into the ADV ECU) map set. As presently setup it ignores the O2 sensors and has the secondary flies physically removed (not just set to 100% in ECU map). I want to turn the O2 sensors back on and get it to self adjust better because as it is now it doesn't get very good MPG, but it hauls a$$.

I also have a early set of RC8 throttle bodies that I want to try (direct bolt on, larger ID bore than the ADV/SD bodies, different injectors), but want to get the current setup refined before I add an additional variable to the equation.
Head2Wind, I think I misread your post - you're saying you can copy the fuel and ignition tables in from an actual '07 SD map. I hadn't thought of that and have been focussed on Adv maps. I'm going to compare the 07 SD map to the 07 Adv map on tuneECU and get a general idea of what the differences are. Thanks, that really opens up my thinking on this. D'oh!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #120
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

For clarity:

1. There are 'classes' of 990 ECUs which contain a 'hash' to identify them: ADV, SMR, SD, SMT
2. It is NOT recommended to attempt to flash a ECU with a different class of map (and hash), it can make the ECU non functional aka 'Bricking' (as in a lump of kiln dried clay/lime... not very useful for computing)
3. Utilizing TuneECU, it is possible to open two map files of different classes and do a compare and copy from one to the other where the 'hash' ID is maintained.
4. To perform the copy; open the destination map file, then open the source map file to 'compare', then toggle between the two to copy the 10x10 values from the source map and paste into the destination map.

This means that I can open a map file from a 07-08 ADV ECU and a map file from ANY OTHER CLASS, and copy the _VALUES_ of all of the cells from the other class and paste them into the 07-08 ADV ECU map, then flash that map file to the ECU and not 'brick' the ECU.

So, for example, it is possible to run a 2012 ADV-R OEM map in a 07 ADV which in many cases if modifications to the bike are minor will make the 07' run like a 12', generally _way better_ cuz a lot of the early ADV 990s ran like crap..... It is also possible for the 07 ADV ECU to run values from a SMR 990 or SD 990, with some subtle limitations, one of them being the soft rev limiter settings where the SD ECU hash will allow a Max RPM setting of 10,200 (or 10,100 can't remember offhand) the ADV ECU is 9,900 RPM.