ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #3136
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Yea, we lucked out. We passed on at the start of the trail, then only seen a Ford Raptor about half way, then two jeeps at the very end. Otherwise we were by ourselfs doing WELL over the speed limit. haha.

I imagine there would be more of a presence during peak seasons.
We did the rim counter clockwise and there were a few corners on the last third that could have been pretty intresting at speed...

Having ridden Moab a few times I learned the value of riding within your sight lines.

The last time in Moab we did the onion creek road, not difficult at all, but really unique and scenic for the area.
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #3137
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary,Alberta
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Just watch out for Ranger Rick trying to enforce the ridiculously low speed limit on the White Rim Trail...

Ranger was riding a DR 400 (I think) and was checking for park passes just below Shafer switchbacks when I was there. I would have to have claimed ignorance about the speed limit thing when I was there, but it didn't come up. Be sure to take the little side trip to Muscleman Arch when you do White Rim. Take LOTS of water, although April should be better than late May was.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595530
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702314
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #3138
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary,Alberta
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
We did the rim counter clockwise and there were a few corners on the last third that could have been pretty intresting at speed...

Having ridden Moab a few times I learned the value of riding within your sight lines.

The last time in Moab we did the onion creek road, not difficult at all, but really unique and scenic for the area.
We did Onion Creek road, Thompson Canyon and through the La Sals as a 1/2 day loop. I suspect the La Sals might be a problem in April though if they had any kind of snow this season. Onion Creek is Great, but easy. Thompson Canyon a bit more challenging with the silty trail, but just as beautiful.



A video I made on our Trip.



Shafer switchbacks
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595530
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702314
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:02 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #3139
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader
 
RED CAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 2,739
Lycan1

Thanks for the info and vids. Luckily I'm going to Moab with guys that have been going for the last 5 years.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #3140
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary,Alberta
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Thanks for the info and vids. Luckily I'm going to Moab with guys that have been going for the last 5 years.
One of whom I will be seeing at the GS training course when you get back. Have a great time, It is hard not to in Moab. If you like Mexican Food, La Hacienda at the north end of town was great. It doesn't look like much from the street but the food was excellent.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595530
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702314
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #3141
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
One of whom I will be seeing at the GS training course when you get back. Have a great time, It is hard not to in Moab. If you like Mexican Food, La Hacienda at the north end of town was great. It doesn't look like much from the street but the food was excellent.

What's wrong with the way it looks?


They make delicious Margaritas. Laugh if you will, but you'll REALLY be laughing after two of them.

One of the best I've had. Victoria's in Baja is better, but you have to ride quite a bit further to get one.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #3142
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary,Alberta
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
What's wrong with the way it looks?


They make delicious Margaritas. Laugh if you will, but you'll REALLY be laughing after two of them.
Don't get me wrong, just it is not as glossy as the other, bigger, Mexican joint on the main drag near the liquor store, but from every report it is much better (and more authentic) food. I was riding when we stopped in, staying out at Moab Valley RV resort so I did not have any Margaritas. The other place that was great (the first night anyway) was the Blu Pig, especially if you like blues music and good southern BBQ. We tried a different place almost every night, Moab Brewery (OK), Zaks (good), but had breakfast at the Love Muffin every morning. Great food, Great coffee, and good looking ladies serving.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595530
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702314
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #3143
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Don't get me wrong, just it is not as glossy as the other, bigger, Mexican joint on the main drag near the liquor store, but from every report it is much better (and more authentic) food. I was riding when we stopped in, staying out at Moab Valley RV resort so I did not have any Margaritas. The other place that was great (the first night anyway) was the Blu Pig, especially if you like blues music and good southern BBQ. We tried a different place almost every night, Moab Brewery (OK), Zaks (good), but had breakfast at the Love Muffin every morning. Great food, Great coffee, and good looking ladies serving.
Juan's was pretty good Mexican (in the middle of town) I thought the Brewery had really good food...and the beer wasn't bad either. There were alot of locals at Juan's.
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3144
2whlrider
Where to next?
 
2whlrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Flatipeg, Manitoba
Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
We did Onion Creek road, Thompson Canyon and through the La Sals as a 1/2 day loop. I suspect the La Sals might be a problem in April though if they had any kind of snow this season. Onion Creek is Great, but easy. Thompson Canyon a bit more challenging with the silty trail, but just as beautiful.
Great videos. A bunch of us were there last November for 8 days of riding.
Brings back great memories. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
On two wheels....That's my Happy Place!
2whlrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #3145
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Don't get me wrong, just it is not as glossy as the other, bigger, Mexican joint on the main drag near the liquor store, but from every report it is much better (and more authentic) food. I was riding when we stopped in, staying out at Moab Valley RV resort so I did not have any Margaritas. The other place that was great (the first night anyway) was the Blu Pig, especially if you like blues music and good southern BBQ. We tried a different place almost every night, Moab Brewery (OK), Zaks (good), but had breakfast at the Love Muffin every morning. Great food, Great coffee, and good looking ladies serving.
I agree. I stopped at the Love Muffin for coffee and breaky because of your recommendation. It was good. It was the morning we departed to do the WRT.

I've been to Blu Pig a few times. It's nice for a change for sure, however I love mexican food (most people get sick of it). I could eat there every night. haha. I think Zaks was the Italian place? It was ok, but not great. Same with Brewery. Just seemed pretty typical but I don't order too fancy of meals and beer is beer as long as it's cold.

I'm excited to go back if I can. Moab is my kind of place. Lots of like minded people. Laid back. Tons of fun just outside of town. I could live there for sure. Sad that it's under fire from tree huggers and they want to stop motorized OHV use. I love nature and the environment. It's why I do what I do, but I think it should be shared with motorized enthusiasts as well.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #3146
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
Floss!

Torque wrenches at CDN tire are on sale this week starting today. 50% off. ~50$

They aren't snap-on, but for the average garage mechanic they are just fine.

(Edit: They may only be 1/2 and 3/8. It's nice to have a 1/4" too. I just use one of the bendy torque arm ones which seems to work fine for things up to 25ish ft-lbs)
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #3147
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flossandfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Oddometer: 283
Thanks Shibby. I have a 1/2 that I use for torqueing the wheel nuts and have an adaptor to 3/8. But if CT is having a good sale it would be worth picking up a 3/8 and/or 1/4. No need to use the 2 foot long handle to torque down small bolts.
flossandfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #3148
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Thanks Shibby. I have a 1/2 that I use for torqueing the wheel nuts and have an adaptor to 3/8. But if CT is having a good sale it would be worth picking up a 3/8 and/or 1/4. No need to use the 2 foot long handle to torque down small bolts.
Their still pretty big. The 1/4" might be on sale too. Not sure. Worth a check.

I also use a 1/2 with reducer. Not idea, but works.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #3149
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Western Canada Dream
Oddometer: 293
Awesome info for the bank of fun biking !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #3150
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dieselpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Rockyview County
Oddometer: 116
Easter in Moab

Thanks for all the details, I'm headed there at the end of the month. Just need to avoid all the Jeeps!
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014