User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
hamonsax OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Why am I getting extra lines in my tracks?

I'm stumped. Trying to prepare tracks for this summers mid Oregon partial OBDR loop, using the Treknow tracks into CN2012, Basecamp, and a Montana 600.
I'm figuring it out mostly, but sometimes when I combine certain track segments, I get these straight line track segments that run from one end to the other. By snipping and deleting, I've been able to get close to what I want, but I'd like to not have to do the extra editing.
Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated!
hamonsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamonsax View Post
I'm stumped. Trying to prepare tracks for this summers mid Oregon partial OBDR loop, using the Treknow tracks into CN2012, Basecamp, and a Montana 600.
I'm figuring it out mostly, but sometimes when I combine certain track segments, I get these straight line track segments that run from one end to the other. By snipping and deleting, I've been able to get close to what I want, but I'd like to not have to do the extra editing.
Before you combine tracks you must have both pieces going in the same direction. They probably are ok.

You must paste the 2nd one to the end of the first one (end not in front of last track point). Insert goes in front of selected line in track properties, don't select last point, select "end".
Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,645
Yep ... direction as in where one track starts and finishes say North to South ... but the next track starts South and finishes North.

With Mapsource you can 'reverse' a track ... that 'fixes' that problem for those tracks. I think there is also an option in the 'joint' function to join a track start to another track start.. IIRC.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
1+ on what has been said. An even more basic concept is that a track can only have one starting point and one ending point, straight lines will connect track segments which are not otherwise contiguous.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
With Mapsource I think there is also an option in the 'joint' function to join a track start to another track start..
I don't think so.

In Mapsource you must cut and paste track points in a track properties page just like in an Excel spread sheet.

In BaseCamp I think you can cut tracks and join them but never used it.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Before you combine tracks you must have both pieces going in the same direction. They probably are ok.
Using Mapsource you can connect up whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamonsax View Post
Use Mapsource and pin the track edit tools to your toolbar. Try a couple small segments first to get the hang of them. You can draw, cut, or erase whatever points you want and join up segment end however you want.

If you try to navigate the track with a GPS capable of doing track navigation, it might give you some problems, but just displaying them works fine.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
hamonsax OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Yep, I was not selecting the segments in the proper order. Once I do that, it works fine. Thanks to all for the help
hamonsax is offline   Reply With Quote