User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
littlebull OP
tiny mighty mo

Oddometer: 320
Rome to Sicily to Sardinia and Back

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary in June, 2014. We are both experienced GS riders and want to ride this route to celebrate. We're planning 3 weeks or so for the trip, with all but about 4 days with the bikes. We have been to central Italy (June, 2012 for three weeks) and so we know what we want to see there. However, we don't have experience with Sicily or Sardinia.

I am always appreciative of advice on what to see and do (and where to eat, of course!), but I'm really looking for basic advice. Most importantly, I would like information on a reputable bike rental agency for a 650 and 800/1200. We'll be picking them up in Rome and riding south, then returning them to Rome again. I'm assuming there is a car ferry between the mainland and Sicily and between Sicily and Sardinia, but I'm not sure about this. We'll probably go from Sardinia to the Cinque Terre area.

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed and appreciated.
07' F650GS Dakar
littlebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Great trip

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip ahead of you! As far as renting bikes, I would highly recommend Central Italy Motorcycle Tours: www.cimt.it/

Francesco (the owner) has always been incredibly helpful and we have rented bikes from them for two years in a row now. There are many bikes in excellent condition to choose from. Last year, we rented a bike in Rome, road inland and down Amalfi coast, cut over to Matera and then down to Sicily. Took ferry back from Palermo to Naples and road back from there. There are ferries that go from Sicily to Sardenia that you can book online - should be easy to find through a google search (but would recommend booking somewhat in advance).

Happy to share more about our route if that would be helpful, but you're in for a great adventure. Best maps we found identifying most scenic roads for moto were: www.touringclub.com

Airbnb or booking.com can be helpful for lodging.

This time, we have decided to ship our own bike over and leave it in Germany since cost of renting can be high, fyi.
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 358
Hi Littlebull,

Ive guided two tours from Rome to Sicily by motorcycle but have not done Sardinia. I would head out of Rome to Lago Albano and ride the west side of the lake. You will be able to see the Pope's summer residence just east of the lake. Here's a suggested route:

West side of the lake there's a nice shore line road. Then take SP17 to Velletri. From there go to Giulianello, Rocca Massima, Segni, Montelanico, Carpineto Romano, Priverno, down to the coast at Terracina. Take SS7 to go around Naples to the A1/A3 and go to Pompei. There are some nice hotels right across from the Pompei ruins.

From Pompei you can go along the coast again on SS145 to Sorrento. Out of Sorrento take the SS163 and that will put you on the Almafi coast. Take the A3 around Salerno for about 90 K's and exit at Battipaglia onto the SS18 the SP430/SS18 to Maratea. Tropea is a nice place to stay. On the first entrance into town there are two nice hotels.

You can stay on SS18 to Villa San Giovanni. There are two ferries going to Messina. They run about every 20 minutes and there's no need to make reservations. In Messina get to the highway ASAP. Messina has the worst driver's in Italy and that's saying a lot.

Take the A20 south to Catania and exit at Taormina. Good places to stay there. They filmed the God Father wedding scene close to there and there is a Roman Amphitheater there.

Then head to Linguaglossa and Mt Etna. On Sundays the sport bikes run up the park road to a coffee shop. You can go further almost to the top but it may be cold. Take SS120 to Cesaro, Troina, Cerami, Sperlinga and then north to Cefalu on SP54 through the park. Nice places to stay in Cefalu. Follow the coast towards Napoli and then head south on SS121. The town of Corleone which you can get to via SS118 from Bolognetta.

Then head back to S180 to Agrigento and the Valley of Temples. There are several ways to head back to Catania from there.

Hope this helps and I wish you both a great trip.

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
4 days on bike will be not enough even for just sicily ... anyway, good advice by Edder, don't overlook two gems - the Eolian islands , there is a ferry that leaves from Naples and arrive in Milazzo Sicily passing through most of islands,
and the south-east of Sicily with the baroque masterpiece cities of Ragusa, Noto and Modica.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 358
Or just do this:

http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont...to-sicily.html

This way your bike, rooms, meals, and don't have to worry about getting lost.

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
bartvanrth
Lord of the rims

Oddometer: 21
littlebull,

I took a ferry to Sardegna in Livorno. Very nice island to bike. No traffic compared to Sicily or mainland. Temperatures in summer are cooler than Sicily. Roads are very good and it is much cheaper than the rest of italy. If you go : do the route Sarda Orientale: fantastic coastal road through the national reserve. It's on the east side. You can find it on Michelin.com.
Whatever you chose it will be a blast.

Bart
ride reports (HERE)
bartvanrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
littlebull OP
tiny mighty mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
4 days on bike will be not enough even for just sicily ... anyway, good advice by Edder, don't overlook two gems - the Eolian islands , there is a ferry that leaves from Naples and arrive in Milazzo Sicily passing through most of islands,
and the south-east of Sicily with the baroque masterpiece cities of Ragusa, Noto and Modica.
No, No. Don't worry, All BUT 4 days on the bike. ONLY four days would be tragic!

Thank you, everyone, for the perfect tips. Just what I'm looking for. I'm especially glad to hear about Sardinia - I once knew an older lady who was born and raised there, and couldn't say enough about how beautiful it is. Keep them coming - you've all such helpful information.
07' F650GS Dakar

littlebull screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 11:14 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebull View Post
No, No. Don't worry, All BUT 4 days on the bike. ONLY four days would be tragic!

Thank you, everyone, for the perfect tips. Just what I'm looking for. I'm especially glad to hear about Sardinia - I once knew an older lady who was born and raised there, and couldn't say enough about how beautiful it is. Keep them coming - you've all such helpful information.
Sardinia is really nice , particularly the southwest part thats wilder and less touristy respect the North

That's Buggerru with its old mine

But Sicily have more to see

Ragusa Ibla

Noto

Vendicari nature oasis

Etna Volcano
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
littlebull OP
tiny mighty mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
Or just do this:

http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont...to-sicily.html

This way your bike, rooms, meals, and don't have to worry about getting lost.
But getting lost is half the fun! That's where the adventure really begins.

And those pictures, Giorgio...WOW! My heart just skipped a beat.
07' F650GS Dakar