Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #391
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You and me both... regarding the copyright laws. They are sort of clear ( as mud...) and, there are many interpretations of them....even among judges...etc. In the example above. You used a product from a known manufacture.....
( Picture on page 19 of this thread. Picture is publicized, on a web forum) The part that you will be defending in the court room, is that A.... you copied their excact shape.... and B....by using their product to enhance your own project, rather than if you bend your own bar. This case is a bit farther out, as compared to say if you covered their plastic. That is a given. BUT...... I guess what I am eluding to here, is, you are exposing yourself.... Perhaps the most, by publically announcing that you used their product to enhance your own, by publishing it on a WWW forum. Key word on the latter part. Now.... would they ever come after you.... properly not..... They might just look at hiring you instead, as you clearly have proved to them, that you are a go getter.... So rather than turning this great thread into copyright thread, I will just close with the following advise. Try at all costs to make it all from scratch.... even if that means you buy an aluminum rod, and bend it to the same shape as the one used. I know you can do this. If you feel there are no way around this..... Cover the logo....... You follow the above.... your safe. Great job amigo.

I can see how the way I used the profile of the Moose bars could be an issue. Thank you for bringing that to light. Also, thanks for following up with ways to avoid this in the future. I've taken a mental note on this topic.

Thanks again Earling!

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #392
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
[/COLOR]

Thanks again Earling!
As allways, your welcome...... your future is bright.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #393
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,652
I found out by necessity one day, that these work for vacuum bagging. They're not 100% tight, but for quick on offs are easier to use than taping up a bag and are reusable if you don't F up the hole where you cut for the adapter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pack-...ags-95613.html

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #394
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I found out by necessity one day, that these work for vacuum bagging. They're not 100% tight, but for quick on offs are easier to use than taping up a bag and are reusable if you don't F up the hole where you cut for the adapter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pack-...ags-95613.html

I have thought about using those bags in the past. They would probably work OK for wet lam vacuum bagging, but I don't think that they would work very well for infusion. When infusing, you want to make sure that the bag is as leak free as possible. This means no noticeable drop in pressure over a 15 minute period.
You have some nice looking nails there, beech! :)

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #395
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,246
therivermonster's step by step and molds reminded me of this video posted on ADVrider years ago.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #396
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Yes and no.... I will give you an example....... If you use a moose racing bend piece of aluminum to create a composite over, you expose yourself to in this case moose racing, who could claim royalties. Do this while picturing said procedure on a public forum, and it now is chiseled in stone. Do the same procedure per your own bend aluminum piece...... Nothing. That becomes more so if you simply made a print of a whole moose guard...... You get the drift. Now that is a far out scenario, I know, but you are at the mercy of in this case moose racing. I am proud to say, I have never gotten any issues, by observing the above example.
Quote:
You and me both... regarding the copyright laws. They are sort of clear ( as mud...) and, there are many interpretations of them....even among judges...etc. In the example above. You used a product from a known manufacture.....
( Picture on page 19 of this thread. Picture is publicized, on a web forum) The part that you will be defending in the court room, is that A.... you copied their excact shape.... and B....by using their product to enhance your own project, rather than if you bend your own bar. This case is a bit farther out, as compared to say if you covered their plastic. That is a given. BUT...... I guess what I am eluding to here, is, you are exposing yourself.... Perhaps the most, by publically announcing that you used their product to enhance your own, by publishing it on a WWW forum. Key word on the latter part. Now.... would they ever come after you.... properly not..... They might just look at hiring you instead, as you clearly have proved to them, that you are a go getter.... So rather than turning this great thread into copyright thread, I will just close with the following advise. Try at all costs to make it all from scratch.... even if that means you buy an aluminum rod, and bend it to the same shape as the one used. I know you can do this. If you feel there are no way around this..... Cover the logo....... You follow the above.... your safe. Great job amigo.
ebrabaek, don't mean to be argumentative, but think you're way off-base here. therivermonster has nothing to fear. He's making/selling a complimentary product; an alternative (upgrade) to Moose's plastic handguards. There's nothing wrong with designing something to be compatible with another company's products. That's what the whole aftermarket is based on, in this industry and many others.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #397
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
ebrabaek, don't mean to be argumentative, but think you're way off-base here. therivermonster has nothing to fear. He's making/selling a complimentary product; an alternative (upgrade) to Moose's plastic handguards. There's nothing wrong with designing something to be compatible with another company's products. That's what the whole aftermarket is based on, in this industry and many others.
Agreed. That would be like a manufacturer trying to horn in because you made an aftermarket seat, or new grips.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #398
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Patents? There's no intellectual property of any kind whatsoever here.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #399
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There are some very interesting opinions here regarding copyright issues. I don't think that it is a serious issue with the hand guard deflectors, but it is something to keep at the front of anyone's mind when building something to work with another commercially available product.

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #400
orgo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
These people made my canoe carbon kevlar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPWZxVq9h8

orgo screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 05:38 PM
orgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #401
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
There are some very interesting opinions here regarding copyright issues. I don't think that it is a serious issue with the hand guard deflectors, but it is something to keep at the front of anyone's mind when building something to work with another commercially available product.
The point at which you'd need to be a little more concerned about it would be if you were to make something like a composite version of Cycra's probend handguards. They have a patent on something related to that bend, which is kind of a bullshit patent if you ask me, but that's another conversation. And again, no worries if you were only making something like composite parts to replace the plastic part of those handguards (like these). What it really comes down to is protectable intellectual property and there is none here (plastic handguard shields). Zero.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #402
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,246

Price: $369.99

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44487

"Get rid of those cheap plastic hand protectors on your BMW.
These beautiful hand protector are not only more durable than the plastic ones, they look better too! They are a better match to your high tech machine. In addition to looking good, they help protect your hands from the blasting wind/cold/heat on road and from the brush off road."
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #403
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
one of my riding buddies (hey brian!) bought an xr, that appears to be filled to the brim like a cheatsheet of cool, tried and true mods, fixes, and repairs by a woods rider.

5 gallon buckets make great sliding material for rock guards and handguard. fender supports and heat shields ? yep, those too.

anyway, I was pretty impressed by a very simple handguard cover cut from a bucket. big enough to matter, small enough to make you look twice.

the stuff you're making is like that cheat sheet bike. someone will get a piece of CF beauty in a sale, and really enjoy it.

I'm not saying don't make dirtbike stuff, but you know the higher priced bike owners will drop coin for something like these in a heartbeat.... ;-) if you ever wanted to
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #404
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
I stand by my previous statement. That said..... I see no reason to turn this fine thread into something it should not be, So I will leave it at that......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #405
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgo View Post
These people made my canoe carbon kevlar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPWZxVq9h8

Hi orgo! My family, friends and I do a lot of paddling, so I really appreciated that video. Those guys make some nice boats. Do you still own yours?

I would love to make a CF kayak someday. Just imagine, a nice shiney CF hull with some walnut wood trim and rigging. Maybe some brass hardware to polish off the package. NICE!! Someday...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
The point at which you'd need to be a little more concerned about it would be if you were to make something like a composite version of Cycra's probend handguards. They have a patent on something related to that bend, which is kind of a bullshit patent if you ask me, but that's another conversation. And again, no worries if you were only making something like composite parts to replace the plastic part of those handguards (like these). What it really comes down to is protectable intellectual property and there is none here (plastic handguard shields). Zero.

I have decided to put some time into studying patent law, and how to avoid trouble. All of the opinions posted in the thread really help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post

Price: $369.99

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44487

"Get rid of those cheap plastic hand protectors on your BMW.
These beautiful hand protector are not only more durable than the plastic ones, they look better too! They are a better match to your high tech machine. In addition to looking good, they help protect your hands from the blasting wind/cold/heat on road and from the brush off road."
Those are very nice deflectors. The hand guards look to be built in.

My Virgin ADV Trip