User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
AlxT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Shifting Gears

Ok let me first just apologize for not being able to find the answer to my question, I am sure it must have been mentioned somewhere in the OC but I just canít find it.

I just got a 990 í09 with 27000 klm on it and had some strange gear shifting behavior so I figured I would do an oil and filter change just to have ease of mind. Thing is that I still get the strange performance and I am totally clueless on what to check or even if I should be worried.

I let the bike run till 4 bars show up and start riding. At first the gears shift perfectly. As I start shifting gears up in higher revs my second and third gear feel (and I really mean FEEL) like they engage two times. If I donít do a full motion at my foot changing up the gears and donít feel the second clik i risk loosing the gear change (happened two times so I really pay attention now). Also after this starts happening it doesnít matter if I shift in low or high revs it stays permanent until I shut the bike off and let it cool down.

Not really sure if I describe it successfully but I I am getting really anxious about this Ö please somebody tell me if I need to look at something or this is just how it works .

Thanks in advance guys
AlxT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxT View Post
Ok let me first just apologize for not being able to find the answer to my question, I am sure it must have been mentioned somewhere in the OC but I just canít find it.

I just got a 990 í09 with 27000 klm on it and had some strange gear shifting behavior so I figured I would do an oil and filter change just to have ease of mind. Thing is that I still get the strange performance and I am totally clueless on what to check or even if I should be worried.

I let the bike run till 4 bars show up and start riding. At first the gears shift perfectly. As I start shifting gears up in higher revs my second and third gear feel (and I really mean FEEL) like they engage two times. If I donít do a full motion at my foot changing up the gears and donít feel the second clik i risk loosing the gear change (happened two times so I really pay attention now). Also after this starts happening it doesnít matter if I shift in low or high revs it stays permanent until I shut the bike off and let it cool down.

Not really sure if I describe it successfully but I I am getting really anxious about this Ö please somebody tell me if I need to look at something or this is just how it works .

Thanks in advance guys
I have a 950 built in June 2004. It shifts very similar to yours. I always thought something was wrong with it. I bought the bike with 24,000 miles on it, and I've since put 11,000 more miles on it. I do miss shifts every now and again if I shift softly, but you get accustomed to how the bike shifts after a few thousand miles. Just ride it.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
AlxT OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I have a 950 built in June 2004. It shifts very similar to yours. I always thought something was wrong with it. I bought the bike with 24,000 miles on it, and I've since put 11,000 more miles on it. I do miss shifts every now and again if I shift softly, but you get accustomed to how the bike shifts after a few thousand miles. Just ride it.
Thanks a lot for that... Guess I will take your advice and just ride the thing :sly:

Tapatalk @
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
There have been some similar cases due to a loose shift lever moving around on the shift shaft leading to such behaviour. Worth checking and remember to use loctite on the shift lever bolt during re-installation.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,583
I have a 2011 990 that shifts similarly. If I don't give the shifter a good pull, sometimes it doesn't go into gear and I over-rev the bike. I always thought I was just being a shifting pansy and it didn't have anything to do with the bike; this happens more when I am shifting clutchless. I haven't had any troubles so far with +/- 14,000 miles.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Why do people shift without the clutch? You're not racing and it takes a split second to use... I have never understood why people do that? Even when I'm on the track I use my clutch and in the dirt I'm all over my clutch, ecpecially on the 990. Sorry for ranting, I had a BMW that false neutraled all the time, it happened because I didn't shift har enough. It always pissed me off because I would peg the limiter every time.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
AlxT OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
There have been some similar cases due to a loose shift lever moving around on the shift shaft leading to such behaviour. Worth checking and remember to use loctite on the shift lever bolt during re-installation.
Worth the try since it really spoils my riding having to constantly remember to to the full motion on the shifter. Thanks for the tip, will definitely check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I have a 2011 990 that shifts similarly. If I don't give the shifter a good pull, sometimes it doesn't go into gear and I over-rev the bike. I always thought I was just being a shifting pansy and it didn't have anything to do with the bike; this happens more when I am shifting clutchless. I haven't had any troubles so far with +/- 14,000 miles.
Good to know its nothing really pressing....But on the other hand it might drive me crazy, coming from a gsxr where i would just gently pull the shifter and the thing never missed a gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.saveaho View Post
Why do people shift without the clutch? You're not racing and it takes a split second to use... I have never understood why people do that? Even when I'm on the track I use my clutch and in the dirt I'm all over my clutch, ecpecially on the 990. Sorry for ranting, I had a BMW that false neutraled all the time, it happened because I didn't shift har enough. It always pissed me off because I would peg the limiter every time.
Well, if done right (slightly letting of the throttle for a split second, thus doing the shift when there is no tension on the gear box) it is as good as using the clutch and it is actually faster on pavement and track, don't know about dirt haven't done it yet.
If it happened on 1-2 gear change i whould not be making a big deal about it but i missed 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shifts and i was seriously unhappy.

AlxT screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:08 AM
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Azmontana
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Because you can and less wear on the clutch.
Azmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
You're not racing
Speak for yourself.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Missing gears

I recognize your problem which in my case was an annoying neutral between 5th and 6th on my 2006 SE from almost new. I never fixed it but things got worse over the years. I put a new 990 motor in my beloved SE in 2010 (other reasons) and after just a couple of months my new motor also had an annoying neutral, but this time between 2nd and 3rd gear.

I took the shift mechanism apart and replaced "Part #16, 60034015044 SHIFT ARRESTING CPL. 03" (quite easy job but you need to remove the clutch basket) and the gear shifting got excellent !!!

My eyes were not able to see anything bad with the old shift arrester but the change obviously worked out fantastic.