Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #691
Boro128
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
+ 1 Great Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
I wanted to let you guys know about the Saddlemen one piece seat I just purchased from Revzilla.
I'm a big guy and the riders portion of the stock two piece seat is too short for me (front to back). My butt is partially on the passenger seat, which after 30 minutes feels like I'm leaning on a sawhorse.

Because the riders portion of the Saddlemen seat tapers back about 1 1/2", it is MUCH more comfortable.

Here's a shot of the seat.

Very well made, very comfortable. I've bought a lot of farkles and this is the one I am most happy with.
The only thing I thought might be a drawback was that it does not have the option to be placed in the higher position like the stock seat. It only mounts in the low position, but turned out not to be a problem at all.

The seat installed straight out of the box. No hardware to move over from the stock seat.
The weather has only allowed me to get out for an hour ride last week and that was the most comfortable ride I have taken on the Tiger.
Worth the money!
Boro128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #692
Poweranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro128 View Post
Worth the money!

Anyone tried the seat two up? I am wondering how good the passenger portion works. Need to keep the wife happy on back.
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #693
cledus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
you looking for heat grips
cledus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #694
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledus View Post
you looking for heat grips
what you say Cledus?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #695
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
Anyone tried the seat two up? I am wondering how good the passenger portion works. Need to keep the wife happy on back.

My ol' lady loves ours. She hates that my seat is heated. Saddlemen should offer this on such a nice machine
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #696
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,334
Quote:
There's a thread about it on the T800 forum somewhere. One respondent reckons his missus prefers the T800 to their previous ST1300.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #697
Poweranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
There's a thread about it on the T800 forum somewhere. One respondent reckons his missus prefers the T800 to their previous ST1300.
I was referring to the Saddlemen seat. No doubt the T800 has plenty of room two up. My wife prefers it over the Sprint ST for sure.
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #698
Boro128
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Frame Protectors

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-800-800xc-mods-and-workshop/226743-t-rex-sliders.html

Just installed these. They are black now instead of silver. Very sturdy, remind me of my motavation sliders on my 1000rr.

Not on their website yet, just call.

I need to get my pics up!
Boro128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #699
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,135
2-up on the Tiger

Quote:

The first thing I did was mod the passenger seat. Removed the crappy gray cover (which breaks down in the sun and gets sticky) then used a grinder to dish out the middle of the seat while leaving the front full-height so as to reduce the slope into the pilot. Next glued on a sheet of 1" mid-density foam and shaped it, then applied a new cover. Together with top-box backrest it's nice and comfy now.

If we were to do a LOT of touring I'd have a custom seat made. Or make one.

The bike does great performance-wise with full weight. Just a non-issue.

(Sorry for posting these again for the rest of you FF's )

Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #700
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The bike does great performance-wise with full weight. Just a non-issue.
Couldn't agree more.

Back from 3,000km's over 2 weeks with the wife as passenger on the stock seat.

Nil issues performance or handling wise with gear and passenger.

Very pleased with the big cat as a 2-up tourer.

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #701
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Oxford Heaterz Issues

Trying to find out the best way to mount these grips as I can't get them to fit on the throttle side. Any tricks or ideas on getting these to fit? Also, using the Eastern Beaver kit so where is the best place to hide all this wiring? Any info would be great. 2012 800CX
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #702
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Trying to find out the best way to mount these grips as I can't get them to fit on the throttle side. Any tricks or ideas on getting these to fit? Also, using the Eastern Beaver kit so where is the best place to hide all this wiring? Any info would be great. 2012 800CX
Hi ilbiker, I did this mod last fall.
I started off just peeling off the rubber hand grips, then cutting the ridges off the plastic throttle grip.
I thought this would be enough to slip on, but it was real tight still.

I decided to use a round file to the insides of the Oxford heaterz grips themselves. Going around the inside to shave off some of the plastics equally to just enough where it slides onto the bar and plastic throttle grip just snug with some force and don't over do it or it will be too loose.

Once done, line it all up to your liking, mark the positions, remove them apply glue to the bar and throttle grip to reinsert thus mounting the Oxford grips permanently. Also, apply one grip at a time.
Keep in mind to make sure the wires from the Oxford grips are safe and not obstructing the hand levers or any switches that your thumb might need to extend to.

Its fairly easy to do, just take your time except when applying glue.

The Eastern Beaver kit is great. Makes things real easy as well. Well worth piece of kit.
I tie wrapped all the wires really carefully where it stuffs into the side panel. Its tricky but it does fit.

The plugs attached from each grip connecting to the Eastern Beaver kit I ran through the left side tucked by the left side of the front part tank while facing tank as seated. Run wiring down left side and into the left side panel that you remove a few screws to sfuff and tie wrap.
I mounted the Heater control on the left side mirror mounting screws. I hammered the L plate flat so the control lies flat up facing you.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Dave.

mint julep screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 07:59 PM
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #703
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
then cutting the ridges off the plastic throttle grip.
I thought this would be enough to slip on, but it was real tight still.

apply glue to the bar and throttle grip
If you grind off the ridges so that the throttle tube is smooth, you can then carry on rubbing the tube down using emery cloth. If you keep testing the fit so that it's still quite tight, you can get it so that you can knock the grips onto the throttle tube with a mallet and not need any glue. That's worked for me and they haven't come loose despite running them at full heat.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #704
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Great job Brownie!! That looks amazing for a at home project
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #705
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Talking Adventure Spec Hard Parts

Kinda new here and have been lurking and learning for a while -- anyway -- time to give back.

I recently took delivery of a 2013 Tiger XC and already got started with the farkles to make it more off-road capable. This tread has been extremely helpful in seeing installed photos and what people thought about them.

When looking at the available parts from Touratech, AltRider, Happy Trails and TwistedThrottle – there was a good assortment of bars / bash plates, etc that seemed to be close to “complete” but yet not quite. The front runner for me was the parts from AltRider but the price was an issue.

Then I came across Adventure-Spec out of the UK. They have a very minimal presence on this and other forums and I don’t think I’ve run across any posts in this thread showing their stuff.

After a few exchanges via email regarding questions about fitment, etc – I decided to take the plunge and order their Hard Parts Bundle. This included the crash bars, bash plate, side stand foot and rear luggage rack.

Let’s look at cost --
All in – it was $693 shipped to my door (ordered Sunday night – delivered Thurs). A similar kit from AltRider would have been ~$862 shipped and Twisted Throttle (SW-Motech) parts were $620 sans the sidestand foot extender as they don’t offer one for the Tiger 800.
Here’s my take on form/function –
  • Crash Bars: I think the AS set offers the best protection while having the closest stand-off. The others sacrifice a bit or are cluncky (e.g. OEM lower bars + Touratech upper bars). The only piece that gives me pause is that out of 4 mounting points on each side, only one is to the frame. I didn't look closely at the other options to see if there was a superior design with only frame connections. It does seem that the engine case mounting points are what the OEM crash bar uses. The Happy Trails bars look to have two frame points and two engine points on each side, but man -- they are W I D E.
  • Skid Plate: The AS version covers the oil filter and looks good. AltRider one looks the great but lacks the oil filter protection. I don’t like the SW motech two tone riveted construction but has oil filter protection. Touratech – come’on they aren’t even trying.

So that’s it on my reasoning – here are a few photos and thoughts during installation:

The supplied instructions from AS was a bit lacking (I think they are new to the market with this stuff and they have been open to feedback). In the instructions they assume some things and had an error or something else (specified 17mm socket and 5mm allen when it was actually a 14mm socket and 8mm allen). Overall the fitment was not hard, but I needed to take a few extra steps for it to work for me. Example – taking off the lower radiator fixing screw/bolt allowed the radiator to pivot forward enough for me to get my hand on the socket on the back of the frame bolt.

IMG_0496 IMG_0497

IMG_0498 IMG_0500

###

The other parts did not come with instructions, but weren’t necessary either. Do note that the skid plate installation required the removal of the charcoal canister. They didn’t mention it and since the European spec bikes don’t have one – it’s understandable. That caused a little "crunch time" research on how to remove the charcoal canister. From what I gathered, there are at least 4 opinions on the subject:

(1) Don't take it off because it risks the warranty.
(2) Affects nothing except it gives fuel vapors a place to stay before being harmlessly released into the environment - remove it plain and simple
(3) Remove it but plug the vacuum side otherwise it will throw a code
(4) Remove it and all the plumbing -- change the 4 way vacuum junction to a 3 way and call it good

I went with number 3. The trick then was to determine which line (out of two) was the vacuum vs the vent line from the tank. Easy - opened the fuel fill door and blew into each. The one without any resistance was the fuel tank vent.

Enough chatting –here are some photos:

IMG_0502 IMG_0503

IMG_0504 IMG_0506

IMG_0507 IMG_0508

IMG_0509

IMG_0510 IMG_0511

IMG_0512 IMG_0501

I hope this was helpful.

ttime4four screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 04:11 PM Reason: Expanded on the charcoal canister...
ttime4four is online now   Reply With Quote