Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,375
Those shafts should by all means come out. Use a large rubber mallet to beat on the case and use more heat. I know that you are all afraid of causing damage, I don't want to cause any damage either, but they will come out. You can also be too timid with these things.

Order all the trans parts you need from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. You will have to call them on the phone. They don't have everything listed on their web site but they will have the parts and they will be cheaper than the dealer. This is the good deal on the correct parts. You may save more at other places but you need the correct parts. Do this. For transmission bearings and parts use The Beemer Shop.

http://www.beemershop.com/

Sometimes Ted answers the phone himself. Ask him about what I said about beating the shiete out of this case and getting those shafts out.

I would try to make the order very soon. Everybody is going to be getting very busy in only a few weeks. Right now is the time to do this.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
kougan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Solo Lobo - SUPER helpful link from Anton, thanks.
Disston, that's the confidence booster I needed to keep pounding on that case! I kept imagining cracking a blackened, warped case before I got the things out.
kougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

BTW, I don't know why but in the beginning of your thread I was under the impression that you were trying to do this with out spending any money, i.e. saving all the bearings and fixing the problem and so on and so forth. It is never advisaeable to try and repair things especially Getrag transmissions this way. Get all the bearings except the front bearing on the input shaft, if it looks serviceable now (you have the input shaft out, you should be able to tell if it is OK, this bearing does not always get replaced).

Get all the seals and the rear cover gasket at The Beemer Shop. Get anything else they say you need. That's their job.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
kougan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
BTW, I don't know why but in the beginning of your thread I was under the impression that you were trying to do this with out spending any money, i.e. saving all the bearings and fixing the problem and so on and so forth. It is never advisaeable to try and repair things especially Getrag transmissions this way. Get all the bearings except the front bearing on the input shaft, if it looks serviceable now (you have the input shaft out, you should be able to tell if it is OK, this bearing does not always get replaced).

Get all the seals and the rear cover gasket at The Beemer Shop. Get anything else they say you need. That's their job.
While I'd love to keep this at an economical level, I don't really think it's an option ha. I'll take any advice they can give me and replace what they say, as I don't want to have to crack this box open again any time soon.

"I'm going to need new gold-plated casing? Okay whatever you say."
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by kougan View Post
I don't want to have to crack this box open again any time soon.
If this is the case you may want to do the front bearing on the input shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

It may be advisable. But several reliable sources always say to leave it be. I do know it is one expensive bearing. So if there is any tendency to cut corners this is one that few will fault you for. If there is any notice of reason when examined of course at that point you should change it.

The front bearing on the output shaft is the most failed bearing in the 5 speed. This one has to be changed.

Do you have the use of a suitable press for changing the bearings?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,565
Quote:
It may be advisable. But several reliable sources always say to leave it be.
I've heard it both ways, "it never fails" and "I've seen that one go bad lots of times"....

And yes, it's one pricey SOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #23
kougan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It may be advisable. But several reliable sources always say to leave it be. I do know it is one expensive bearing. So if there is any tendency to cut corners this is one that few will fault you for. If there is any notice of reason when examined of course at that point you should change it.

The front bearing on the output shaft is the most failed bearing in the 5 speed. This one has to be changed.

Do you have the use of a suitable press for changing the bearings?

Thanks for the tips on these, Solo and Disston.

I did finally get around to checking out the clutch, and all looks just as it should.

Conclusion is: the grinding, clattering sound must have been coming from (possibly) all three rear gearshaft bearings rumbling loose against the casing. This must also be why there is black scuffing around the edges of all of them. What I don't know is exactly how they all managed to come loose at the same time. Any thoughts, or has anyone experienced the same thing?

I'm going to go ahead and replace the five bearings and leave the pricey one alone, as it looks great and spins fine.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
. This must also be why there is black scuffing around the edges of all of them. What I don't know is exactly how they all managed to come loose at the same time. Any thoughts, or has anyone experienced the same thing?
I would take the cover to someone who can measure the bearing pockets. I still think the bearings have spun in the cover excessively.
New bearings will spin in the cover as well, if indeed the pockets are flogged out.
If the bearings can spin in the cover, they will spin on the shims and wear them away.
Motobins sell new covers, or a s/hand one could be found.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #25
kougan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
I would take the cover to someone who can measure the bearing pockets. I still think the bearings have spun in the cover excessively.
New bearings will spin in the cover as well, if indeed the pockets are flogged out.
If the bearings can spin in the cover, they will spin on the shims and wear them away.
Motobins sell new covers, or a s/hand one could be found.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
I was thinking the same, although I checked to see if the cover sits loose on the bearings, and it's definitely tight enough to where I'll have to pound it back on with a mallet. (i.e., it's a tight fit between bearings and cover).
There is a little grease in the cover pocket where the input shaft bearing sits though, that may be due to excess grease seeping in from the throwout bearing/piston. This may have caused that bearing to start spinning.

I'll see if I can get a correct measurement on the pockets, but I'm betting on just cleaning up the extra grease and putting in the new bearings. We shall see.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
That cover just looks stained to me. I don't think anything has been spinning there. The five speed front input bearing ALMOST never goes bad. They do all the time in the four speeds so they put a sturdy one in the five speeds. I haven't worked on THAT many four speeds but, so far, every one of them had a bad front input bearing. I rarely see any trouble there in five speeds. I think that must be the source of confusion.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
and it's definitely tight enough to where I'll have to pound it back on with a mallet. (i.e., it's a tight fit between bearings and cover).
Hopefully you'll heat the cover to 80-100c first.
My thoughts.........98% slip on, 2% 'tap' on.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #28
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Use plenty of heat when replacing the cover. I agree with SS that it is stained for some reason. If those bearings had spun you would see more damage than a darkness.

The front bearing on the OUTPUT shaft is the first to go on a 5 speed.