Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
help me plan my anniversary trip!

Hey all,

So my hack rig is being built as we speak (GL1500 wing + DMC kenda sidecar). My wife and I take a trip every year for our anniversary, and this will be our first on a MC. I have been once to the glacier/yellowstone area, but she never has, so I would love to show it to her. Now comes the main issue, the route.

We live in St. Paul, MN.

Generally, we plan to head west through SD, then into Wyoming, over to the tetons, then up into Montana and glacier, then back home through ND. Maybe will have 1.5 - 2 weeks to do it, and it will be in August. I went when i was a kid, so i have no idea about route. I would like to hit beartooth pass, going to the sun road, glacier, yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, and anything else.

It would be a great help if in your suggestions you include hwy names, etc. Thanks for the help all, and helping make my wife's firt trip a good one.

-Mike
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
in the Black Hills

Read "Black Hill" by Dan Simmons and then visit the Crazy Horse memorial under construction; and good food at the restaurant as well as authentic local native crafts and vendors.
Find your way to the Iron Road and the Needles Highway.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,545
Hi Mike,

Should be a really fun trip. 2 weeks will give you time to catch the highlights. Walls Drug on interstate 90 in South Dakota. Sturgis is fun even just to pass through and gawk at all the outrageous harleys and folks riding them. I passed through on a dirt bike and enjoyed just stopping on main street and people watching.

Mt. Rushmore and the Chief Crazy horse monuments are worth a look. Spearfish Canyon Road (hwy14) down and up through Lead and Deadwood on hwy 85 are a nice scenic loop.

Just over the border in Wyoming is a jog over to Devil's Tower on 14 and 24. Worth a look if you ever watched the "Close Encounters" movie.

From Buffalo, Wyoming you could cut across Wy16 to Worland and drop down Wy789 to Thermopolis for some hot springs action.

Then over west to the Tetons and dropping down to Jackson Hole. Up through Yellowstone and over Beartooth Pass into Montana.

With your limited time, and the heat in August, you might want to book on over to Missoula on 90. It's actually pretty scenic for a hack tour. And head up to Kalispell and catch the 2 back over east. With a jog up through Glacier and the Going to the Sun Hwy. and heading east on 2 back to MN.

Just some ideas

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,440
^^...What JDowns says!!

Let me add for a real treat, just south of Kalispell, MT is Bigfork. My m.i.l. lives there, so I'm in town 1 or 2 times a year. Mrs Samthg & I stay at Bridge Street Cottages, which is just an incredible small resort. It is right on the river and right in town with all the convenience's. Brookies Cookies is right next door and also right on the river. Just awesome.

B.S.C.

Overlooking Flathead Lake

From the 28, SW of Thermopolis, WY

Happy Anniv!
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
mikejjmay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Sweet! awesome ideas so far, keep em coming if anyone else has any suggestions!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,302
The campgrounds in Yellowstone and the Tetons can be pretty crowded that time of year. The trick is to reserve your spot in the morning, then come back to it to camp. They are often full by the afternoon.

If you have trouble finding a spot, there are campgrounds just outside the park boundaries, such as between Tetons and Yellowstone.

The best trout I ever had was at the "fancy" restaurant near the hot springs in the Montana part of Yellowstone. Pistachio encrusted, if I remember properly.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote