Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #106
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Tried this. Downloaded correct version of Google earth again. Changed the ipc settings with the about:config toggling. Installed the plugin into firefox (older version) and still I get the this message;

There was a problem with the Google Earth Plugin.
Exit the browser completely (Cmd-Q on Mac; Alt-F x on Windows), then re-open this page to see it in action.
If that doesn't help, you can re-install the Google Earth Plugin using this link.

I've tried this twice. Now I'm running a Mac but I think I'm still doing something wrong, any ideas mac users?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #107
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Tried this. Downloaded correct version of Google earth again. Changed the ipc settings with the about:config toggling. Installed the plugin into firefox (older version) and still I get the this message;

There was a problem with the Google Earth Plugin.
Exit the browser completely (Cmd-Q on Mac; Alt-F x on Windows), then re-open this page to see it in action.
If that doesn't help, you can re-install the Google Earth Plugin using this link.

I've tried this twice. Now I'm running a Mac but I think I'm still doing something wrong, any ideas mac users?

Make sure you in fact have the earlier version of google earth. It took a while for me to find the proper download location. Several times I thought I was downloading the older version only to find the link kept pushing me into a newer one.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #108
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,178
When you go to this link:
http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

if you haven't already, you should select the advanced setup and then the 6.2 version. I imagine this is what you're doing, so perhaps you should do a complete uninstall?(unfamilliar with mac) the reinstall
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #109
RenoMoto OP
Rally Navigator

Oddometer: 206
Google Earth

Guys:

Trust us, we are working hard to eliminate the need for the "old" Google Earth. When 7.0 was released it was buggy from the beginning,

Thanks for your patience and feedback as we get the kinks worked out of our Beta version.

Mike
Pics - Moto - Dakar Rally - Rally Mongolia - TAT - F1 - Sports Cars - Crap
Rally Navigator - Create, Print & Share Rally Routes with Google Earth.
RenoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #110
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Thank You for making it happen Mike!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #111
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,912
I joined last week and have 3 rallies documented. This software rocks
Old 03-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #112
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Is there a way to insert an entry onto the roadbook with an editable mileage w.o having to find the location on the track and adding a waypoint?

i.e. I pre-run a course and find a !!! at mile 59.75. My road book has entries at 57.2 and 61.7. When I get home can I just add a line entry on the roadbook side of the tool, enter the mileage of the hazard, and draw a tulip? Or do I need to find the hazard on the track, and insert a way point that will then appear on the RB?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #113
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
Is there a way to insert an entry onto the roadbook with an editable mileage w.o having to find the location on the track and adding a waypoint?
I think it's better to mark the spot with a waypoint in your GPS while riding, then use that GPS file to help mark the spot in RN. I use a voice recorder while prerunning to make notes. It takes too much time to make written notes. But you have to have a good memory of the visual stuff if you use voice notes.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #114
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I think it's better to mark the spot with a waypoint in your GPS while riding, then use that GPS file to help mark the spot in RN. I use a voice recorder while prerunning to make notes. It takes too much time to make written notes. But you have to have a good memory of the visual stuff if you use voice notes.
I just tried that by taking the GPS co-ords of an existing turn and using the "find on map" feature in RallyNav. GE zooms off my intersection to a spot a few miles away. Possible GPS Co-ords issue with decimal degrees vs. degrees,min,seconds? RallyNav appears to be using decimal degrees. What is GE using?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #115
RenoMoto OP
Rally Navigator

Oddometer: 206
GPS coordinates and Pre-running

Dudes:

On our "wish list" is to import captured real world GPS tracks and Waypoints over a theoretical route in Navigator, this will allow correcting the route after a pre run in the most efficient way.

Importing captured tracks and WP into Google Earth and referring to the Rally Navigator route to make updates/changes might be an interim solution.

Voice recorder notes referring to dropped WP definitely help. Ex: "at waypoint #22 add double danger"

I wish we could add these features as quickly as we think of them....lots more work to do.

Thanks for the feedback,
Mike
Pics - Moto - Dakar Rally - Rally Mongolia - TAT - F1 - Sports Cars - Crap
Rally Navigator - Create, Print & Share Rally Routes with Google Earth.
RenoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #116
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Quote:
I just tried that by taking the GPS co-ords of an existing turn and using the "find on map" feature in RallyNav. GE zooms off my intersection to a spot a few miles away. Possible GPS Co-ords issue with decimal degrees vs. degrees,min,seconds? RallyNav appears to be using decimal degrees. What is GE using?
I just logged onto GE and it looks like they are using Deg.min.sec GPS points which would explain why when you plink in Decimal/deg into the "find on map" it moves off the intersection. So if you want to edit an existing route make sure your GPS is giving you coords in Deg,min,sec format.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #117
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
I just logged onto GE and it looks like they are using Deg.min.sec
In the GE "Tools" menu under "Options..." on the "3D View" tab, you can set GE to use any of four Lat/Lon formats. But if you paste a set of coordinates into the GE "Search" box, it figures out what format you pasted and takes you to the correct spot, even if you've set GE to use a different format. So, GE is pretty smart in figuring out what you used. I think the setting in Tools>Options>3D View is what GE uses when it shows you coordinates, such as your cursor position and the coordinates shown in an Edit Placemark dialog box.

To see GE interpret multiple formats, one at a time copy each of these coordinates and paste them into the GE search box. You'll see all three are the same exact spot, and GE correctly interprets each of them even though they are in different formats. But they have to be in these exact formats, or very close, else GE will not be able to interpret them.

37.047867° -113.754133° ------------------ (DD.DDDDDD) Degrees
37° 2.872'N 113° 45.248'W ----------------- (DD MM.MMM) Degrees Minutes
37° 2'52.32"N 113°45'14.88"W -------------- (DD MM SS.SS) Degrees Minutes Seconds

While you're looking at this point, tilt the view in Google Earth and check out how steep the road is at this point. Incredible! ! !

One of my Grand Rally stages bypasses this strange point. Anyone know why I decided to not to include it in the route?
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #118
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
In the GE "Tools" menu under "Options..." on the "3D View" tab, you can set GE to use any of four Lat/Lon formats. But if you paste a set of coordinates into the GE "Search" box, it figures out what format you pasted and takes you to the correct spot, even if you've set GE to use a different format. So, GE is pretty smart in figuring out what you used. I think the setting in Tools>Options>3D View is what GE uses when it shows you coordinates, such as your cursor position and the coordinates shown in an Edit Placemark dialog box.

To see GE interpret multiple formats, one at a time copy each of these coordinates and paste them into the GE search box. You'll see all three are the same exact spot, and GE correctly interprets each of them even though they are in different formats. But they have to be in these exact formats, or very close, else GE will not be able to interpret them.

37.047867° -113.754133° ------------------ (DD.DDDDDD) Degrees
37° 2.872'N 113° 45.248'W ----------------- (DD MM.MMM) Degrees Minutes
37° 2'52.32"N 113°45'14.88"W -------------- (DD MM SS.SS) Degrees Minutes Seconds

While you're looking at this point, tilt the view in Google Earth and check out how steep the road is at this point. Incredible! ! !

One of my Grand Rally stages bypasses this strange point. Anyone know why I decided to not to include it in the route?
I think I've got it, but one more question: do you have to make those changes in my GE and then RN imports them when I open it and it access GE on my machine? Otherwise I don't see where i can change settings in the GE that RN is using.

As for the question: is it not that spectacular in person? That road that runs off to the left of the climb is a two track, but it looks like the sidehill angle would cause a 4 wheeled vehicle to roll.

Or, does the trail at the top not come down the other side?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #119
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,517
I get this when I try to import my GPX...
Import Daniel Boone bike.gpx failed: No "rte" elements found in GPX file.

What does this mean?
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #120
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
I get this when I try to import my GPX...
Import Daniel Boone bike.gpx failed: No "rte" elements found in GPX file.

What does this mean?
I'm not an expert but googling around "rte" elements are "route elements" (vs. trk "track elements").

Are you trying to import waypoints, or an entire route (i.e. GPS bread crumbs)? If it's just waypoints that may be the problem since there's no route ("rte"). Try making a route between the waypoints. I've used the GE i have installed on my computer (not the GE native to RN) and use the route tool to lay the route over the tracks in the satellite imagery. The more closely the GE route follows the tracks on the imagery, the closer to real world your mileage. Then convert the GE Route from KML to GPX, and import the GPX to RN.

If you already have a breadcrumb trail then maybe a quick brute force way of getting what you want would be to run it through GPSBabel. Convert it to KML (GE's route format), then back to GPX and see if it works? It sounds like a pain, but is should only take a few min and that would isolate the problem (i.e. the file information on your GPS is somehow not right). You can then start looking at the way your GPS stores breadcrumbs to address the root cause.