Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Oddometer: 312
RT Fairing rebuild - looking for bits

Hey all!

Putting the '83 R100RT back together for the spring running. I had flirted with the idea of removing the fairing and running the bike "nekid" but I gave up on that idea. Stock turn signal stalks must be made of GOLD! That and spring/fall riding here needs the full protection. And I ride in the rain. And.... Once again looking for ways to prevent rider heat stroke come mid summer, but that's a topic for a different thread.

What I'm hunting, as indicated in the subject line, are rotted out bits. More specifically the rubber grommets that prevent the brake lines from moving too much where they come through the fairing. Since mine is still in pieces, best I could do is from this stolen-from-the-internet photo. I've highlighted the best I can the area I'm talking about.

I know there is a piece of rubber there, since I ended up picking off the remnants from one side. I spent the better part of an hour last night pouring over Max's microfiche. Best I could find was an image of SOMETHING that might be what I'm looking for, but no associated part number. If I'm looking for something made of unobtanium, i.e. NLA, that's fine, I can probably put something together. If I can get the actual part, and it's not STUPID expensive, I'd rather go that route.

And on a related note, I've come to the conclusion that my bike was crashed at one time. That or suffered a high impact tip over. The fairing mount bracket needed to be bent back into shape to allow all four bolts to be attached. When I took it apart there were only three bolts holding the main piece. The fourth was nowhere to be found and the mount point was a long way out of plane. That might explain the bad left side mirror vibration and the fact that it never seemed to "hang" right. Judicious application of adjustable spanner, hammer, and Mk 1 eyeball later and it's somewhat straight.

We'll have to see how that works.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
£1.50 each from Motobins if you cannot find them locally. Look under "brakes" then "Brake hose parts"
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,015
They're the same price from a dealer. Call one up with the PN.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
£1.50 each from Motobins if you cannot find them locally. Look under "brakes" then "Brake hose parts"
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
They're the same price from a dealer. Call one up with the PN.
Between Motobins for the photo and P/N and the dealer fiche for the cross reference, I found them. Looks like it's used about three different places on the bike. Price wise, about the same. Now to contact my "local" dealer to find out how much/how long before I put an order for stuff online...

Thanks Rob and Supershaft!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Does your bike also have the running lights in the air vents? You can buy a new Clearview windshield or buy a Honda Goldwind air vent to get you some fresh air!
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
Does your bike also have the running lights in the air vents? You can buy a new Clearview windshield or buy a Honda Goldwind air vent to get you some fresh air!
Nope, no running lights in the air vents. Although I managed to catch a finch in it last year.

Frankly I can't really tell the difference with the vents open or closed. They don't seem to flow much, if any air at all. I do need a new wind shield and I have been eyeing that Clearview with the vent.

The problem is I ride from when the snow and ice clear from the roads to above 30 Celsius and back again. Canadian riding seasons are too short as it is. And I only have one bike.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Pull the lowers off and run a short windshield. You'll be far cooler and still have quite a bit of protection. When cooler weather arrives, put the lowers back on.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
Those RT air vents are something else, huh.
I don't understand why BMW didn't go all the way and install a heater as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
More_Miles OP
über-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Pull the lowers off and run a short windshield. You'll be far cooler and still have quite a bit of protection. When cooler weather arrives, put the lowers back on.
I've done that but never really liked how wobbly the fairing got without the lowers. That said, it'll probably be different with ALL the bolts in it this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
Those RT air vents are something else, huh.
I don't understand why BMW didn't go all the way and install a heater as well.
They are, aren't they. As for the heater, BMW did install one. But in typical BMW fashion they didn't CALL it a heater. They called it an engine! Don't get me wrong, from now until late June, I love the protection and added heat.