User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
the_jest OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Comms for driver-to-passenger use only?

I realize there are a lot of threads about communications systems here, and I've looked at some without finding what I need, so forgive me if this is answered somewhere.

I'd like some way to talk to my passenger behind me. That's it. The systems I've glanced at all have complicated features for communicating with many people over a big range--which seems like overkill when I just need it to have a range of two feet to talk to one person--and are pretty pricey, in the range of hundreds of dollars per unit. Is there something else I should be looking at for this purpose? If my girl and I both have smart phones, is there an app that'll accomplish this? I assume that there's a standard-ish recommended thing for mounting a mic and speaker into a helmet?

If there's a Newbie FAQ to Helmet Comms, I'd love a referral to it.

Edit: It occurs to me that I'd also like it if whatever system I get does also work with my phone, so I can listen to turn-by-turn directions or use the phone or listen to music (off the bike, of course). Don't know if that's possible without moving stuff around, or if the same headphone/mic can connect Bluetoothly to the comm system and phone at once.
the_jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,949
What you try to accomplish looks like reverse engineering to me.

Sorry, I can't help but give you an advice; buy a well known and proven communication set right now and save yourself a lot of trouble and frustration.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
beechhunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Starcom 1

Get a Starcom1 and never look back. I tried the blue tooth options but I prefer a hard wired unit. No batteries to recharge.
beechhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
I just bought a $30 black box, that has exactly what you're looking for.

I got mine in Mexico, and although it's a chinese piece of crap...it'll do.

Here it is on Amazon for $14:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorbike-Moto...ess+-bluetooth

There are others:

http://www.amazon.com/PMC-3X-Driver-...=bike+intercom

http://www.amazon.com/ridemate-Pro-R...ess+-bluetooth
Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
JED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Most small airplane intercom units make a "Mother-In-Law" set. You as front seat can talk to the person in the back seat, but she can only hear and can't talk back. Can't imagine they are inexpensive, however. You must pay a price for that kind of privilege.
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,873
SENA SMH-10 does all that you want
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
the_jest OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks all. I ended up looking at some of the RevZilla videos, that do a good job of showing all the features of these systems. It does seem like the Sena is _exactly_ what I'd like to have, and I guess the price is reasonable once you consider all of the phone-integration features. If I decide I don't need this, I'll go for one of those cheaper comm-only units.
the_jest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
You may even want to consider one of the cheaper SENA SMH5 units (there's one available w/ a FM Radio if you'd like). I've been doing a bit of research on these, and there are some reports of the VOX feature having a bit of delay, causing the first word or two to get cut off when your speaking. The SMH5, on the other hand, seems to have an 'always on' connection, so the audio channel is always open and doesn't get clipped. There'll be a slight degradation in audio quality, but for voice I don't think it will matter much.

With any SENA headset, you can add an SR10 or SM10 later if you want to hear any audio (GPS, MP3, etc...) through the set.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
the_jest;

I have the Sena SMH10, and it works pretty brilliantly. My only complaint so far is that it's not 100% waterproof. When using it in the rain, I've had some audio issues.

As you are being budget conscious and are focused only on rider to passenger intercom use, you might consider the SMH5 instead. I think it'll do what you are looking for, at about $100 less per pair than the SMH10.

http://mrmobileaustralia.wordpress.c...h10-intercoms/ covers the differences between the two in detail.. They are a little smaller, have a shorter battery life, shorter range, can only do 2-way intercom instead of the 4-way that the SMH10 can do, and don't do VOX (voice-activation) on the intercom as some of the main differences. But they are quite a bit cheaper!

Rocketmoto is well-known here for being a seller of the Sena units, and supporting them. Give him a call to discuss your needs and order. Mention you heard about him on ADVRider.

http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...dual-pack.html
http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...dual-pack.html

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote