User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Bonwit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
The "S-Plug". Is "S" for "Sucker"?

Just kidding (kind of). I've been looking for a stereo earplug that will attenuate noise, but that also sounds good and won't hurt after riding a few hours. I saw these at the Sedalia rally and they sounded good, were comfortable, and actually blocked outside noise. I'm just concerned that they might not hold up, seeing as how they fit entirely in your ear canal and you have to extract them by pulling on the cord. Also, there doesn't seem to be much to them, considering their $140 price tag ($240, if you get the dual driver model).

Has anyone had any experience with these? the one post I found sounded like it was written by the owner of the company. I thought about using a pair of Etymotic's, as they're cheaper, and surly sound good, but I'm concerned that having the body of the unit on my outer ear may cause irritation after awhile. The nice thing about the S Plug is that the only thing exposed is the thin wire coming out of your ear.

I really want to like these things, but I'm having trouble getting past the price.

Thanks

http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_ste...rbuds_s/67.htm
Bonwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
brianhinfl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I haven't used those specifically, but had a pair of the Sennheiser plugs that looked the same. They worked great. Blocked out most of the outside noise and allowed me to listen to music at a nice, comfortable, low volume. Absolutely loved them, until I noticed I wasn't able to hear things as well as I used to. Turns out the plugs were impacting wax deep into my ear canal where it wasn't able to be flushed from naturally every time I used them, which was every day. It took about 6 months of daily usage for me to notice something was up as it happened very gradually. After that trip to the doctor, I stopped using them and haven't had a problem since.

It's a shame because that style ear plug was absolutely perfect and completely comfortable. Not sure if that helps you at all, but something to keep in mind.
brianhinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Try some marshmallow ear buds. Cheap and effective.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 572
I have been using S-Plugs for the past 2 years. Still using the same set and I don't see why they won't continue to last. Prior to S Plugs, I tried custom ear molds which in my opinion, are brutal and really get sore after a few hours. Then I tried the Etymotic earbuds which worked great but the cord was so long and delicate, it was always tangling. Eventually, the Etymotics broke.

Then I got the S Plugs and have been happy ever since. If you saw them first hand then you would have noticed that the cord is short and beefy. It does not tangle and is not as fragile as a standard set of earbuds. The drivers are completely encapsulated within the silicone earbud making it really easy to slide a helmet on and over them. No more bulk than a set of silicone earplugs. Yes, they don't look like much and don't sound quite as good as the Etymotics ( I have the single driver ) but they are all day comfortable and work great as earplugs when you stop listening to music. If I lost them tomorrow, another pair would be the only option for me. I have absolutely nothing to do with the company but would recommend the S-Plugs.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Heloflights
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
+1 on s-plugs...

My son and I both have customs and s-plugs...we always reach for the s-plugs for long distance riding - much more comfortable then the customs. Over time the blue silicone plugs will tend to slide off the drivers, when this happens just take plugs and clean them well with rubbing alcohol (use a q-tip to clean the bore), dry, dry wipe down the drivers and -reassemble.

The blue silicone plugs are replaceable as well.

It is always a good idea to gently wipe down the plugs with a tissue when you remove them from you ears....

Heloflights

2008 R1200GSA
Heloflights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Bonwit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloflights View Post
My son and I both have customs and s-plugs...we always reach for the s-plugs for long distance riding - much more comfortable then the customs. Over time the blue silicone plugs will tend to slide off the drivers, when this happens just take plugs and clean them well with rubbing alcohol (use a q-tip to clean the bore), dry, dry wipe down the drivers and -reassemble.

The blue silicone plugs are replaceable as well.

It is always a good idea to gently wipe down the plugs with a tissue when you remove them from you ears....

Do you recommend ordering some of the replacement plugs at the time I order, or are they really necessary?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonwit View Post

Just kidding (kind of). I've been looking for a stereo earplug that will attenuate noise, but that also sounds good and won't hurt after riding a few hours. I saw these at the Sedalia rally and they sounded good, were comfortable, and actually blocked outside noise. I'm just concerned that they might not hold up, seeing as how they fit entirely in your ear canal and you have to extract them by pulling on the cord. Also, there doesn't seem to be much to them, considering their $140 price tag ($240, if you get the dual driver model).

Has anyone had any experience with these? the one post I found sounded like it was written by the owner of the company. I thought about using a pair of Etymotic's, as they're cheaper, and surly sound good, but I'm concerned that having the body of the unit on my outer ear may cause irritation after awhile. The nice thing about the S Plug is that the only thing exposed is the thin wire coming out of your ear.

I really want to like these things, but I'm having trouble getting past the price.

Thanks

I picked up a pair in Sedalia. I've tried numerous kinds of earbuds, but none of them did much to block outside sound. I'd like to be able to hear 20 years down the road, you know? Yes, they are expensive. I wore them home from the rally - two 12 hour days, and almost 1000 miles - and they're comfy. They sometimes don't like to seat in my ear canal, but a little extra push seats them nicely.

The cord is really beefy, and makes me think they'll last a long time. The drivers are heading aid drivers, so they're good quality and built to last. I probably wouldn't worry about extra covers for now. They're $10 for the set, and postage is probably stupid cheap.

2003 BMW R1150GS
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Bonwit OP
Adventurer

Great testimonials! I ordered a pair. Got the single driver, cause I've already lost a good deal of my high freq. hearing, so probably couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I too used these on a recent roadtrip and enjoyed them. I had a little problem with the left one breaking the seal for some reason, but it was cured by wrapping the cord up around my ear before putting my helmet on. I haven't tried any other soft bud type earbuds but I was happy with how the s-plug sounded and the amount of noise it blocked.
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 433
+1 on the single driver S-Plugs!!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Travis Lutter
MMA

Oddometer: 71
plus 1
Travis Lutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
I just ordered some, so I'm glad the reviews are positive.

Not sure about the shipping price. The cost to Mexico was $10 more than a 36L tank bag I ordered last week.

If they arrive in a padded envelope I'll be very upset.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
One year on and I just ordered another pair. The right ear cuts in and out when I wiggle the wire coming out of the volume/microphone thingy on the cable. It's probably through getting snagged multiple times, so I can't really blame the company. The plugs themselves have had almost daily use and are fine.

The new set will be the dumb ones with no microphone as I'm now using them with the Sena SMH10 intercom (No room for speakers in my LS2 helmet)

They really do a great job of killing the noise and reproducing music and voice. They're the single driver version...not sure how much better the double driver version could be.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Grafspee
one bike is never enough

Oddometer: 201
I use 'em

Been using a set since the Sedalia Rally - I luv them. Small, Comfortable, Great Sound, EXPENSIVE, - yes! But I do not regret the purchase! I've tried alot of different ear buds and these are the smallest best built (rugged) set I've had yet!
Grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonwit View Post

Thanks

I've had two sets, and still use 1/2 of one. They work fantastic, but the ends will pull off too easily. I have a single earbud left that I use with an earplug on the other side.

The noise blocking is great, and the sound quality is really good for my small ear canals. Just make sure you do not remove your helmet with them on without a Slick to prevent them from catching.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote