Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #46
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
I never thought I'd be tinkering at this level on this motorcycle... but, I got some stainless steel hardware and finally, with a very full flavored coffee, enjoyed some late winter garage therapy

the hardware consists of all the drain and fill plugs plus the lever bolts and control screws...

Those plugs got magnets in them? if not, I got a picture for ya.

if you don't have parallel tip screwdrivers, you want some. The multi drivers usually have parallel tip bits. my experience with stainless is that it is soft and demanding of good quality tools in good condition.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #47
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by homere View Post
Nice work !!!!!!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Those plugs got magnets in them? if not, I got a picture for ya.

if you don't have parallel tip screwdrivers, you want some. The multi drivers usually have parallel tip bits. my experience with stainless is that it is soft and demanding of good quality tools in good condition.
No, the s/s drain and fills don't have magnets. Thanks for the pic offer, OCD can be your bike's friend, the fluids get changed as they should, actually way before, it's garage therapy... aware of s/s nature & needs
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 evo sp
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #48
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

a few changes

3,000 miles since the build was completed. Ended up ditching the hella bar end indicators for some /5 rears on a shortened bar. Lowered the bar drop and fitted a bar end mirror in lieu of the bumm units.

boxer engine lust

mindfulness screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 04:24 AM
Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #49
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,028
Thumb

...yeah man that is such kool. Nicely done.
It looks so Nuvo Gestapo...or somethin'.
Love it.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #50
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 359
this is without a doubt the classiest looking Slash5 I have ever seen.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #51
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 317
Laugh

Amazing bike... Jealous!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #52
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

thanks for all the kind words guys...
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #53
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,417
How do you feel about the drum front brake paired with that engine? I ride a 100s/5, and sure wouldn't want to be with anything less than the disk front end that I have. Yours is certainly an awful lot purdier than mine though.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #54
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
How do you feel about the drum front brake paired with that engine? I ride a 100s/5, and sure wouldn't want to be with anything less than the disk front end that I have. Yours is certainly an awful lot purdier than mine though.
Properly set up and adjusted, they're actually about the same effectiveness as the single disc. Not as powerful as a double disc brake... Just have to be a little more careful/alert but it's not bad. I wanted the drum front because I like the way it looks. After 3k miles, I can say I'm used to it and it bites pretty well...
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #55
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
Properly set up and adjusted, they're actually about the same effectiveness as the single disc. Not as powerful as a double disc brake... Just have to be a little more careful/alert but it's not bad. I wanted the drum front because I like the way it looks. After 3k miles, I can say I'm used to it and it bites pretty well...
I found the front drum on my 90/5 was grabby when damp. Not wet and not at speed, but at walking speeds when damp. I crashed twice due to this, (front end locked and washed), once on the spiral ramps of a parking garage---drove in in the rain, spent the day in the library, leaving in the evening the bike was dry but the front brake was damp. Pulling into the toll station at the bottom of the ramp it locked up the moment I touched it. Got rid of it for a single disk setup. In general the 900 motor w/ the stock 75/5 gearing would do wheelies easily, ate alternator rotors and went a whole lot faster than the chassis and braking was happy about---despite good fork springs and shocks and a carefully tuned front drum. It was a dangerous little beastie. I eventually parted it in favor of a real 1000 with a stiffer frame and dual disks.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #56
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
I've had a few brake setups on my 100s/5 over the years. I started with the drum, then had a dual ATE setup with the under tank MC. After running that setup for years, I had trouble with one caliper leaking despite my better efforts. I was broke, so I went to a single disk, and swapped out the 17mm MC for a 14mm, which I had. That worked decent, and like you said, about equal to the drum in outright stopping power. The disk was more controllable though. After running that for a year or two, I wanted to improve it, and so swapped to a 13mm HB mounted MC, which was a huge improvement. Really, it transformed the bike. I started a thread on it a few years ago, check it out. I can't speak for outright stopping power, but my current setup is way better than the dual disk, under tank MC as far as everyday spirited street riding. Lighter effort, and better modulation. Far simpler too. Food for thought.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #57
SERE Nate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Beautiful bike!
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #58
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

took this one when out on the last ride this season...

Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #59
mindfulness OP
more ride less worry

I forgot to note a few changes I made that are shown in the latest picture.

1. changed handlebars from tarozzi clip ons to what I felt was a more period correct looking set with the bend I preferred from motocicli veloci. I love these bars on the bike, the tarozzis are great and infinitely adjustable but they look better on an 80's era boxer to me.

2. purchased an albert solid stainless steel bar end mirror from vech at benchmark works. Like the bars, it looks more 'right' to me than the crg hindsight mirror I had on for a bit and it is a beautiful piece. I'm so glad they're continuing to produce these mirrors and I know many people appreciate their effort to do so.

3. I always wanted the polished aluminum /5 brake and clutch levers on this bike and when I ordered them from BMW they arrived black. I think they were black anodized which is how they are making them now. If you order them from BMW that's what you'll get. We installed them but I always wanted the polished pair... I found a clutch lever NOS in ebay and then a brake lever from a private seller that was in amazing condition. A little polish and they matched up nicely.

The bike has over 4,000 miles since the rebuild and is just fantastic to ride, it brings me such joy.

mindfulness screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 04:44 AM
Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #60
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 518
Thanks for a new posting as I may not have seen this otherwise! Very nice, Very clean, Very classy! Would not be out of place at a formal black tie affair!

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote