Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc76 View Post
Unfortunately it is not imported and sold here.
I'll have a word with John Bloor.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Thanks for the info mate.

Regarding the height of the bikes.
How critical is it between the 'R' and the Standard model?
No, I am not cyril despres, and do not ride like him..
I bought a standard new and the first thing I did (aside front a skid plate and side stand relocator) was make the bike taller. I made the mistake of not getting the R/S model.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I just bought my 2nd 990 this time a brand new one the last in the showroom its a blue one and I wish id bought the R a bit taller but still not silly tall and im only 5foot 9 and the R was ok for me
the colour of the R is simply superb to me and id change the panels with someone tomorrow,
i traded my 800XC tiger for it and couldnt beleive how small the 990 felt after riding the tiger the 200 miles to do the deal, my memory of the 990 was that it was bigger.
the balance of the KTm is soo much better as was the power delivery, I loved the tiger 800XC even bought the Triumph adventure suit boots and gloves to go with it but the 990 is just so much more

Buy it ride it and enjoy it, most of the suggesgions you will get will be from the hard core off road boys some bits will be over the top for road riding

In summary the 990 is a great bike road or off road farkel it for what you do and most of all mate enjoy it
Rob
Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure boy View Post
I just bought my 2nd 990 this time a brand new one the last in the showroom its a blue one and I wish id bought the R a bit taller but still not silly tall and im only 5foot 9 and the R was ok for me
the colour of the R is simply superb to me and id change the panels with someone tomorrow,
i traded my 800XC tiger for it and couldnt beleive how small the 990 felt after riding the tiger the 200 miles to do the deal, my memory of the 990 was that it was bigger.
the balance of the KTm is soo much better as was the power delivery, I loved the tiger 800XC even bought the Triumph adventure suit boots and gloves to go with it but the 990 is just so much more

Buy it ride it and enjoy it, most of the suggesgions you will get will be from the hard core off road boys some bits will be over the top for road riding

In summary the 990 is a great bike road or off road farkel it for what you do and most of all mate enjoy it
Rob
That's funny - I was umming and arring over the R model when I bought my new 990 last year. The R had some appeal (no ABS because I didn't want it) but I'm a whisker off 6ft and found the bike a little too tall. I could ride it on the road without any issues but I was thinking ahead to the scenario where a trail falls away to one side of the bike - the side you are trying to plant a foot on!

I preferred the painted finish of my lovely blue 990 so that kid of clinched the deal. My mate has the R and we're meeting up to swap bikes in a couple of weeks so I'll get a taste of what I'm missing out on.

Even if I end up preferring the dynamics of the R, I'd still like to see some paint on a 10K bike!

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
ykrweb
1% Spawn

Oddometer: 82
I'm 6'3" and my 2010R is one of the few bikes I fit on well. However, I still have to strain a bit when throwing my leg over. My two performance niggles: It gets blown around in the wind due to the height/profile and the power delivery is not smooth off idle due to the FI. I can live with both easily. My bike has been reliable while riding (14K miles so far) but I did replace a leaking o-ring for a few bucks. The FI will act funny sometimes but you can reset it. I added $5K of aftermarket stuff but everyone should at least relocate the side stand , lose the stock exhaust and add some additional lighting (US light is horrible). This bike will make you ride harder in most situations. Don't expect to putt it around town. It's doesn't like that much.
ykrweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I am 6' 2" and I also have a 2010 990 R and even with my long legs the bike is tall. I have not had a single issue with it and the bike is a hoot to ride with exceptional power and suspension. I would fully recommend the bike to anyone with the only caveat that you need to make sure that you are comfortable with the height.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
I've got a 2012 990 Adv R. I came from a 2009 BMW F800GS. First off, I have to agree with ykrweb: "This bike will make you ride harder in most situations. Don't expect to putt it around town. It's doesn't like that much." Exactly. This bike has crazy amounts of power, is smooth (except right off idle), has great ergonomics, is put together very logically, and will put a grin on your face ear to ear. The best thing about this bike, however, IMO is the suspension. It rocks! It soaks up everything. The biggest issue I had with the BMW was the poor suspension. I'm super-glad I went with the R. I don't like ABS, I enjoy the extra suspension travel, and like the 'R-spec' bits and pieces. The color combo in my opinion is the coolest looking too. I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam. The bike is a bit tall for a road-oriented bike, but I'm used to riding dirt bikes (BMW G450X, Husqvarna TXC449, KTM 300XCW) so the seat height doesn't bother me. These dirt bikes have a similar or taller seat height than the 990 Adv R.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #23
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I also came from the 2010 BMW F800GS to the 2012 990 R. The R has suspension, 245 mm of travel front and back, and it works. This bike will make you grin. A lot. On the down side, if you are not afflicted with a throttle addiction, yet, you will be. The BMW was quiet. This bike has a bit more noise, attitude in general. While I liked my BMW, I don't miss it. At all.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,486
You will have to ask yourself which is more important: 3" more travel or ease of touching the ground. Keep in mind when the taller bike starts to tip, it's going to be harder to hold up.

Personally, I prefer the shorter travel. I've upgraded the to a stiffer set of fork springs. I also switched to the tall Seat Concepts seat. Ease of touching the ground and a more comfortable seat out weighed any benefits from longer suspension.

BTW, energy stored in a spring = 1/2 * k * X^2. k is the spring constant. X is the displacement. All things being equal, 8" vs. 11" suspension travel equates to 1.9x increase in energy stored in the longer suspension. I would suggest that with longer suspension you would go somewhat softer to make it more compliant.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #25
aaronc76 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cheers

Hi All,
I wanted to thank all for your time, thoughts and replies here.

I finally got the KTM Adventure 990 "Dakar 30 year edition".

Sorry about the picture quality, it was taken with a poor cell phone.

Riding it now for a few days and wow... no words to describe.
It is really different from everything I had until now.

I will use this thread and ask,
Which top case would you recommend on?
Need to contain at least a backpack with a laptop in it.
Would be nice if it will contain full face helmet inside when parking for short terms.

Cheers!
aaronc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,486
Quote:
Hi All,

Would be nice if it will contain full face helmet inside when parking for short terms.

Cheers!
Congratulations!

Although it doesn't have a lot of Adventure character I really like the large GIVI trunk. It easily holds a large backpack. It can hold two full price helmets. And the entire thing can be removed with the push of a single button. Mine has been on hundreds of miles of back roads and held up just fine.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #27
Twinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers!
Niiiice!! Congratulations!! Gorgeous bike!!
Please provide feedback soon!
How do you find comfort on long rides?
I am too looking for an adventure bike to replace the VFR and I still have a hard time choosing.
Twinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #28
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
I am too looking for an adventure bike to replace the VFR and I still have a hard time choosing.
If you're coming off a VFR get the Tiger800XC. It'll sound and feel pretty familiar.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #29
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 509
To OP: It is fortunate that you got the bike that's fitted with ABS. These bikes are too heavy and too fast not to have ABS. If you haven't needed it, you ride slow. It is an @ss saver for sure...as for traffic I'll try to make a demo video of what the bike can do in really tight traffic, (provided that you have a 40+ inch inseam)...gratz on your new bike OP and welcome to OC...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #30
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers!
Can't recommend on top cases, I never use one...I use a net and backpack...what I recommend though is to get the Continental Trail Attacks when your stock Scorpions are done...The Trail Attacks can go anywhere the Scorpions can but they are waaaaayyyy better on road...they virtually transform the bike to supermotar handling...