Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Small batteries

Anyone use any of these batteries?

EVO2 8-cell

Or

Antigravity 8-cell

I'm assuming that for my bike (100/7), a 4 cell would be too small, and a 12 would be overkill.

Ultimately, weight isn't my concern, but size is. I want to get as small of a battery as possible.
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
I have not used either brand, but size wise, I think you are right on. A four cell will start your bike, but has very little in reserve. An eight should be perfect for just about anything, short of four wheels!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Tankad
Pure Shenanigans

Oddometer: 87
I've see a lot of people on the forum use this:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah,

I've seen a lot of people say they use that odyssey battery too.....my only issue is size. That odyssey battery IS small (abound half the size of my normal battery), however, in my cafe ventures, I'd prefer an even smaller battery. I want to be able to hide it someplace out of view, and the size of that odyssey will limit my hiding places (I want to keep my center stand, so bottom of the bike behind oil pan mount isn't an option for me)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
I have an EVO2 on my G/S since December.
You have to find a way to fix it in the stock box: small bungee cords are your friends! Starting the bike always feels like hit and miss: the relay clicks a few time and you are thinking "damn the battery is weak!" but the bike starts every time!
I am not sure I will do it again... But at that price I will keep a little longer!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Tankad
Pure Shenanigans

not sure what your seat is going to look like, but you have a few options. maybe something like this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=lithium

or you can always try the Lithium Ion approach. there has been a lot of talk about those as well. I can't remember the post name, but one guy on here was running his bike of Lithium Ion about the size of a laptop battery.

you might want to check out boxermetal.... he has a few options.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool....thanks!

Yeah, I've looked at boxer metal's, however, from what I can tell, he only sells a box that mounts in the bottom of the frame where the center stand goes. If I went this route, I'd loose my center stand, which I don't want to do.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Tankad
Pure Shenanigans

are you going to get rid of the airbox? if so, he makes a part that relocates the battery in its place, right on the trans.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Tankad
Pure Shenanigans

here is a pic... (Taken from BoxerMetal.com)

Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
I have an EVO2 on my G/S since December.
You have to find a way to fix it in the stock box: small bungee cords are your friends! Starting the bike always feels like hit and miss: the relay clicks a few time and you are thinking "damn the battery is weak!" but the bike starts every time!
I am not sure I will do it again... But at that price I will keep a little longer!!
Prmurat,

What model EVO2 did you use? (8 cell?)

.....and as for air box mount......love the look, but not what I'm going for. I want a battery out of sight (or mostly out of sight).
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
I have the 12 cells EVO2
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Tankad
Pure Shenanigans

I love this Idea...
http://www.cafebeemer.com.au/gallery.htm

Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Sabre170 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I've considered hiding mine under the seat like that. My only hesitation, is that my cafe project had one requirement. The ability with not too much work to swap my solo seat back to the stock two person seat so my wife can ride with. If I hid the battery under the seat like that, I'd have to move the battery back to stock location when the 2 person seat is needed. Seeing that I will likely not ride with a passenger but 1 to 2 times a year, moving the battery wouldn't be too much of a pain if needed.

I'm curious....why did Cafebeemer make that battery pan with the "Z" bend? Is there a reason he didn't/couldn't use a flat piece of metal and mount the battery on that???
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,830
I refuse to take all that weight off the back of my bike and then add more with a battery. One step forward and two back.

I use all my travel on a semi-regular basis. There are good reasons why the stock fender goes up into the subframe and seat. Mainly tire clearance. I see a lot of license plates, tail lights, battery mounts, seats, subframe cross members, and whatnot that are going to get into the tire big time when they hit a bump. Oh well, I never understood choppers either. In my mind, what works looks good.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I refuse to take all that weight off the back of my bike and then add more with a battery. One step forward and two back.

I use all my travel on a semi-regular basis. There are good reasons why the stock fender goes up into the subframe and seat. Mainly tire clearance. I see a lot of license plates, tail lights, battery mounts, seats, subframe cross members, and whatnot that are going to get into the tire big time when they hit a bump. Oh well, I never understood choppers either. In my mind, what works looks good.

+1 on the weight and the wheel travel.
Check how far the wheel can travel without the shocks. And than at least put some travel blockers under the bump stops to reduce the travel.
IMHO its a shame to loose wheel travel...

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote