User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
The Letter J OP
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 730
pivot pegz mk3 dimensions?

Does anyone know the dimensions of the actual platform of the pivot pegz mk3? All I can find is "60mm" but that is from front to back, I'd like to know what they measure from left to right.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Jamm
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
hate metric, how about standard measurements?

The foot pad is 3-1/4" (L-R). If you look at a pic it is 2-1/2" from the outer edge of the peg to the main bar then the outsde bar extends another 3/4". At least that is what mine are for a F800gs.
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
The Letter J OP
lost in the 690 mega

Very cool, thank you. It appears that the platforms are the same for any make/model, just the spindle/frame side of the pegs vary. I also emailed a friend who just installed a set and he said that his measure 3.75" from the center of the pivot pin (the one on the bike) to the outside edge of the peg. This is the same measurement as the oem KTM, Husky, and fastway pegs that I have in my garage. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend this much money on them just to end up welding on extensions to get them to ~5" as measured from the pivot pin to compensate for my crooked knees! Too bad nobody makes extensions for the mk3's like cjdesigns did for the mk2's
Old 09-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 888
I ended up making extensions for mine

The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
The Letter J OP
lost in the 690 mega

That is pretty much what I had in mind! I made several sets for my other bikes out of mild steel and then welded them straight to the peg, the stainless steel will surely be more difficult so I'll have to bribe a friend to weld them for me (or bolt them on like you did, looks good by the way.) The real problem is that I no longer have free access to a CNC plasma cutter so making the teeth on the extensions uniform will be an interesting task.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
That is pretty much what I had in mind! I made several sets for my other bikes out of mild steel and then welded them straight to the peg, the stainless steel will surely be more difficult so I'll have to bribe a friend to weld them for me (or bolt them on like you did, looks good by the way.) The real problem is that I no longer have free access to a CNC plasma cutter so making the teeth on the extensions uniform will be an interesting task.
No plasma here either, 32 6mm holes an angle grinder, big flat file and lots of patience is all you need
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I have got some pivotpegz for my 2012 ktm 500 exc, and I was thinking about welding an extension, and I took that pegs to my friends at the welding shop to inquire about it.. They had a look at the pivotpegz, and in a second told me:

"are you sure thay are stainless steel?"

I replied: Well, the manufacturer says:

Quote:
These things are precision built and made from solid aerospace grade stainless steel, polished to a mirror finish
So I guess that they are stainless steel...

My friend then searched for a magnet, and he approached it to the pegs, and I thought "the magnet will not stick"... well, I was wrong: It attached itself to the peg like crazy!!!

He then reached for some scrap stainless steel that he had on hand, and the magnet completely ignored the metal, as it should be. After this deception, what the manufacturer says:

Quote:
As for price, when you add it all up well we think US$169.99 per set is a steal.
Is not as clear to me...

I let you all know just in case you decide to weld an extension to the pivotpegz. It seems that the extension should be plain steel, instead of stainless steel
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
The Letter J OP
lost in the 690 mega

if it is 400 series (without nickel) it could be magnetic. I've also seen some SS varieties "become" magnetic when they are heated and then return to their non-magnetic state after cooling. I'm no metallurgist so take my info with a grain of salt.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you very much for the info! I had no idea about that, and Iwill take it into account when I enlarge the pegs. I still am debating if welding or bolting the extensions ;-)

I will keep you posted :-)
Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
MK3 version extension due summer 2013
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
MK3 version extension due summer 2013
Thanks for the update! I'll try to fabricate mines, but for those that prefer to buy ready made extensions, it's great news!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyktm View Post
Thank you very much for the info! I had no idea about that, and Iwill take it into account when I enlarge the pegs. I still am debating if welding or bolting the extensions ;-)

I will keep you posted :-)
Well I finally had time to enlarge the pegs, and after getting my inspiration from MudratinOz's pictures (thanks!! ):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
I ended up making extensions for mine

I asked a friend of mine that laser cuts metal to cut some extensions, and this is how it turned out:

I have used the new pegs for about 1000 kms, and the extensions keep my ankles and knees straight when standing rather than bowed out from not enough contact area with my boot, and I can stand for long periods without any problem. After 30+ years of dirt bikes, I do not understand how I did not do something like that before...

I still have not crashed with them, so I do not know how will they endure it... I'll keep you posted!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

very nice
Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Look great!

How wide are they now (inside to outside)?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

The new pegs measure 130mm from pivot centre to tip, and they have a width of 66mm (the stainless steel strips are 3mm thick + 60mm of pivot pegz = 66mm)