Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
34* this morning and my hands are freeeeeezing!

I have a pair of Shift padded riding gloves, what's a good way to keep the mitts warm? Find a thin "base layer" thermal layer glove under?

Jason
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,073
at that temperature, nothing will do much good other than heated gloves (or, perhaps, heated glove liners . . . . .)

comfort at low temps is highly individualized though . . . . you might try some silk liners or some such -- they DO help a bit at less fridgid temps (again, for me).
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Heated grips and Hippo Hands
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
With my heated grips and hand guards my Helimot Buffalo pros have been fine in the low 30s. Expensive glove but they offer a considerable amount of protection, are incredibly comfortable over a wide range of temperatures, and they last a long time.

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/default.asp
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
A thin silk lliner works a treat or, if your commute isn't too long, try a pair of latex or nitrile gloves under your normal riding gloves.

A proper pair of winter gloves and some heated grips takes me down to 29 degrees this morning.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Heading out in 2 weeks to ride the TN portion of the TAT. I'll have a 5 hour interstate ride up to Jellico so it'll be long commute.

I thought about heated grips, but heard mix reviews on their effectiveness. I really like the idea of heated gloves, but at $175 OUCH.

This will be my second trip riding this route, and I don't recall last time having problems with my hands freezing, although we had nicer weather than we might have this year. Trying to prepare for the worst.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
heated grips and hippo hands
+1 !!!
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
T

Oddometer: 5,144
I've had several bikes with the heated grips/hippo hands type setup. They work but the heated gloves work better IMO.

Just got these Powerlet liners so I haven't run them through the long term test, but man do they get warm/hot.

I've had these Gerbings for a couple years. No more cold hands with these.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
I've had several bikes with the heated grips/hippo hands type setup. They work but the heated gloves work better IMO.

Just got these Powerlet liners so I haven't run them through the long term test, but man do they get warm/hot.

I've had these Gerbings for a couple years. No more cold hands with these.

I've looked at those liners, as well as the Warm and Safe as well. Unfortunately I think I'm tapped out cash wise for this year, but after this years trip heated gloves are on the top of my list. Especially before we get to Colorado!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,096
I have the OEM hand guards and heated grips. I used my Arctiva snomobile gloves on a 34 degree ride last week and they worked fine. Even my RH heating element was out. The gloves aren't great for clutch work though.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,207
I've had the Gerbing's T5 heated gloves for about two years now. I ride throughout the winter in Northeast PA, so I definitely put them through their paces. I've yet to find a temperature that they can't handle. The lowest temperature that I've ridden in has been 3 degrees F, and that was for a 25 mile highway commute. Pretty much every other part of my body was frozen by the time I finished my commute, but my hands were nice and toasty.

I'm also not especially resistant to cold weather either. I find that my fingers and toes usually get colder earlier than most other people. So, this isn't an exercise in flexing my e-penis muscles. It's a testimonial to how well the Gerbings gloves work.

I should also note that I crashed in my gloves only a few months after buying them. I crashed on the highway going highway speeds. My hands were a little sore and banged up, but fine otherwise. The gloves took a decent amount of damage, but continued working after the crash. In fact, the heat finally started fading this week, over a year after crashing in them. I'll definitely be buying another pair of T5 gloves to replace these (once they get my size in stock, that is!).

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
I thought about heated grips, but heard mix reviews on their effectiveness.
I've had them on my last 3 bikes and I wouldn't want to go without them.

I use heated grips + heated gloves when I commute in the cold. I rarely use the heated gloves otherwise. The heated grips are always available whatever gloves you wear.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
JRose OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all the input.

For those running heated gloves, how does the bulk affect performance? Not so much for commuting, but fast clutching and braking when zipping along trails?

This is mostly a new world for me as I have always been a fair weather rider in the past, and am new to the bulkyness of cold weather protection.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Thanks for all the input.

For those running heated gloves, how does the bulk affect performance? Not so much for commuting, but fast clutching and braking when zipping along trails?

This is mostly a new world for me as I have always been a fair weather rider in the past, and am new to the bulkyness of cold weather protection.
My Warm n Safe heated gloves aren't bulky. That's one of the reasons why I chose them, but also why I use them with heated grips. I don't like riding with stiff bulky gloves. Rather be less warm and more comfortable.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,073
I've not seen a heated glove that doesn't add SOMEthing to the bulkiness . . . . which is why, on a longer ride, I bring both the heated pair, and a pair of suitbale non-heated gloves . . . . . .

yes, packing more is always a compromise, but, with hands that have taken a beeating for so long, it is, for me, a worthwhile compromise.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote