User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
M Bouthillette OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Mixing Klim Gear

I'm just about to get myself a Klim Badland Jacket. I was wondering about getting the pants, but I gotta say, it's starting to get pricy for a first year on the road. So I'm wondering If I could buy the Badland Jacket and match it with Traverse pants ? Has anyone tried this ?
M Bouthillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,821
Gasp!!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
M Bouthillette OP
Adventurer

Really, that bad ?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bouthillette View Post
I'm just about to get myself a Klim Badland Jacket. I was wondering about getting the pants, but I gotta say, it's starting to get pricy for a first year on the road. So I'm wondering If I could buy the Badland Jacket and match it with Traverse pants ? Has anyone tried this ?
I just ordered a Klim Lattitude Misano Jacket to replace my 10 year old Aerostich Darien jacket.

I felt the Badlands was a bit too much armor and fuss for my needs of mostly paved road touring and fire road exploring with some occasional dirt/single track.

I hear you on the price! But mix and match is fine. Most of the zippers will mate up if you want to connect different brand jackets and pants.

To answer your question a bit more directly though, the Traverse pants do not have armor. Ditto for the Traverse jacket. The pants do have pockets for armor, but don't come with armor. The Traverse is more designed to be worn over a pressure suit or exo armor.

I'm riding in some First Gear MotoX pants. Decent armor at the hips and knees, (though I actually liked the knee armor in my Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants better - more coverage and better fit). Still a bit of money, but more like $250 range instead of the Klim's $310-350 range for the Traverse pants.

The First Gear is good quality, but much more venting and water resistant with a water proof liner, instead of the Klim's water proof. I've been riding in them for ~30k and they have held up well and the "water resistant" works pretty well until you're riding all day in the rain. Usually I have a clue when that's going to happen though and put the liner in before the day starts.

If you want to step down a notch on the pants, but stay with Klim, take a look at the Overland pants. ~$380 Vs the $650 of the Badlands and the Overland comes with an armor system.

Knees and hips are hard to fix and heal slowly. Armor is important. I've gone down at speed and walked away with nothing more than bruises, thanks to good gear and armor in the right places.

Unless you are going to be wearing armor under the Klim gear, stick with gear that has armor.

Hope that helps.

Edit - I've actually had the chance to try on the Klim gear too, so got a better feel for what it's like and how it feels and fits. Good gear is worth the money, but at some point you have to decide what level you're riding at and if you really need that level of protection. I consider the Aerostich to be a step down in protection from the top of the line Klim gear, but Aerostich repairs their gear after a crash, costs less, and does do very well at protection in a go down. Frist Gear is pretty darn good too. I crashed in Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants at 50 mph and they were toast, but I walked away w/o a scratch too, so I bought another pair. Lighter weight, fussy, small zippers, but comfortable and great venting. JR even gave me a deal on the replacement pair when I called their customer service and asked about repairs, (they don't do that).

I guess I'm just saying make a list of your priorities and look around. Even the brands like Tourmaster and Dainase make good gear for street riding.

edit2 - Note that Klim hasn't figured out the leg zippers yet. They don't do full length zippers and can be a pita with the short leg zippers. I put the boots on, then get the pants on and like full length zippers. First Gear and Tourmaster go to the hip with the zippers.

Dirty bike screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 06:25 PM
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
M Bouthillette OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I just ordered a Klim Lattitude Misano Jacket to replace my 10 year old Aerostich Darien jacket.

I felt the Badlands was a bit too much armor and fuss for my needs of mostly paved road touring and fire road exploring with some occasional dirt/single track.

I hear you on the price! But mix and match is fine. Most of the zippers will mate up if you want to connect different brand jackets and pants.

To answer your question a bit more directly though, the Traverse pants do not have armor. Ditto for the Traverse jacket. The pants do have pockets for armor, but don't come with armor. The Traverse is more designed to be worn over a pressure suit or exo armor.

I'm riding in some First Gear MotoX pants. Decent armor at the hips and knees, (though I actually liked the knee armor in my Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants better - more coverage and better fit). Still a bit of money, but more like $250 range instead of the Klim's $310-350 range for the Traverse pants.

The First Gear is good quality, but much more venting and water resistant with a water proof liner, instead of the Klim's water proof. I've been riding in them for ~30k and they have held up well and the "water resistant" works pretty well until you're riding all day in the rain. Usually I have a clue when that's going to happen though and put the liner in before the day starts.

If you want to step down a notch on the pants, but stay with Klim, take a look at the Overland pants. ~$380 Vs the $650 of the Badlands and the Overland comes with an armor system.

Knees and hips are hard to fix and heal slowly. Armor is important. I've gone down at speed and walked away with nothing more than bruises, thanks to good gear and armor in the right places.

Unless you are going to be wearing armor under the Klim gear, stick with gear that has armor.

Hope that helps.

Edit - I've actually had the chance to try on the Klim gear too, so got a better feel for what it's like and how it feels and fits. Good gear is worth the money, but at some point you have to decide what level you're riding at and if you really need that level of protection. I consider the Aerostich to be a step down in protection from the top of the line Klim gear, but Aerostich repairs their gear after a crash, costs less, and does do very well at protection in a go down. Frist Gear is pretty darn good too. I crashed in Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants at 50 mph and they were toast, but I walked away w/o a scratch too, so I bought another pair. Lighter weight, fussy, small zippers, but comfortable and great venting. JR even gave me a deal on the replacement pair when I called their customer service and asked about repairs, (they don't do that).

I guess I'm just saying make a list of your priorities and look around. Even the brands like Tourmaster and Dainase make good gear for street riding.

edit2 - Note that Klim hasn't figured out the leg zippers yet. They don't do full length zippers and can be a pita with the short leg zippers. I put the boots on, then get the pants on and like full length zippers. First Gear and Tourmaster go to the hip with the zippers.

Thank you so much. I will definitly look into the overlands. I'm willing to spend money for decent protection, but I might need the pants once or twice this year, so I thought badlands were pricy. Unfortunatly, around here you can't try much prior to buying... How's your jacket when it's hot summer days ? Enough vents ?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
ahh, actually you can have the D30 armor placed into the pockets built for it in the Traverse jacket and pant. here's a shot of the Traverse jacket with the armor in it. i like the simplicity and cost of the traverse line and with the excellent D30 armor in it, that makes a great product. i like the look and description of the Overland line. I spoke with Klim yesterday and they said it would be available April 1st.

kirk out

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...raverse+jacket

james t kirk screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 06:55 PM
james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Thank you so much. I will definitly look into the overlands. I'm willing to spend money for decent protection, but I might need the pants once or twice this year, so I thought badlands were pricy. Unfortunatly, around here you can't try much prior to buying... How's your jacket when it's hot summer days ? Enough vents ?
Haven't gotten it yet, just ordered today. I've been fine with the Aerostich Darien jacket, though some complain it's too hot in 100F temps. Just about anything feels hot in those temps, but wetting down the LDComfort under your gear makes a huge difference in the high temps.

Kirk is correct, you can add armor to the Traverse gear, as I also said, but that's another cost, so check on that. Decide if the extra pockets on the overland suit your needs or the more minimalistic of the Traverse.

As for your statement of only needing the pants once or twice a year, I would offer that they can't help you if you're not wearing them. ATGATT. Dedicated moto pants are good all year long, in all conditions. The Klim stuff has vents and is waterproof with Goretex. It is well suited to full year use.

If you don't want to wear dedicated moto pants with armor, find some good exo armor and wear that over/under your street pants. Dress for the crash, not for the ride. And it only takes once to realize how important that is.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
I was all set to be a Badlands wearer,got the jacket in a large like I wear in other KLIM stuff. It seemed a little tight with just one thin fleece shirt under it.
But for me,it was too much,too heavy,kinda constricting and hard to move around. Really not that much in the way of venting,short vents on sleeve,armpit vents,it gets hot here and I decided it wasnt for me after a short trial.

Really well made,ultra heavy duty jacket. For me,too heavy/hot even for street riding.
I love KLIM stuff though and its all I wear for trailriding,I bought a Valdez parka off an inmate and it fits over my chest/back/shoulder protector easily,I like it for styling around town or riding,works great at both.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,821
Maybe you need Motoports stretch Kevlar. It flows air well and if you think you need a bit more air flow have them add some mesh Kevlar. I've recently bought a Badlands and I've had the Motoport mesh Kevlar waist length jacket along with stretch Kevlar jean cut pants for years. The Motoport will continue to be my summertime gear.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Traverse pants won't zip to the badlands jacket. They also don't breathe as well as the gortex in the badlands. That's one of the reasons I purchased the badlands pants. You can find them for $500 from dealers on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
The answer is yes. I have both in mixed grey/black and switch back and forth. The previous post about breathability is true. Pro Gore is amazing. So give thought.
Allen
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
M Bouthillette OP
Adventurer

ATGATT is right, but from I'm reading, I can't wear the badlands pants going in to work since the fit is not meant to be worn with something else underneath. Does that seem right to you guys ? I know I'm asking a lot, but I was hoping that if I was gonna spend 1300 $ on jacket and pants, they'd do it all, the daily commute and the roadtrip.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
ATGATT is right, but from I'm reading, I can't wear the badlands pants going in to work since the fit is not meant to be worn with something else underneath. Does that seem right to you guys ? I know I'm asking a lot, but I was hoping that if I was gonna spend 1300 $ on jacket and pants, they'd do it all, the daily commute and the roadtrip.
I think you're reading it right. The Badlands are not over pants. When I commute, I have to change at work from the riding gear into the work clothes.

If you want to commute in your normal work clothes, you might consider a Aerostich Roadcrafter or the Olympia one piece suit, as they are more designed to wear over street clothes.

You're not really going to enjoy commuting in the Badlands. It's more than a bit overkill for street riding, imho.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I think you're reading it right. The Badlands are not over pants. When I commute, I have to change at work from the riding gear into the work clothes.

If you want to commute in your normal work clothes, you might consider a Aerostich Roadcrafter or the Olympia one piece suit, as they are more designed to wear over street clothes.

You're not really going to enjoy commuting in the Badlands. It's more than a bit overkill for street riding, imho.
+1 my Badlands will barely fit over my Gerbings heated pants.. I have to switch back to my Aerostich Dariens for winter riding..
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
M Bouthillette OP
Adventurer

As always, awesome feedback guys. Thank you very much