User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
youngan OP
-------

Oddometer: 202
Sweden/Norway/Baltics?

I am going to be in Sweden (Goteborg area) for a motorcycle meeting this July, and am planning to take a few extra weeks to travel about. Any hot suggestions for places to ride/itineraries? I prefer twisty roads, and tend to get impatient if they are straight for very long, unless (maybe) there are other things that make it SO interesting that I forget I'm not turning. On that note, anything interesting to see in Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia, or should I just skip that idea? I do need to end up back in Heidelberg about two weeks after I leave the Goteborg area...

Thanks.
Andy
youngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Norway. There is a ferry from Strømstad, about 2 hr north og Gøteborg that will take you to Norway. Go around the south and west coast untill you run out of time, then head back over to sweeden going over the mountains. Should be able to see most of the south norwegian coastline with all the fjords. Maybe even as far north as Geiranger, depending on how far each day you ride.

Go east if your more interested in history. I have never been there but there is some beautifull old towns over there, you will find less of that in. Orway but more spectacular roads and nature.
If you go to Norway, pm me and i can help you on some route sugestions.
But i must warn you. Norway is expensive.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
Mortis (the Brit)
Seeker of the truth

Oddometer: 92
JohnnyTH, how expensive? I'm thinking of coming over next year (2014) going to Sweden first and then across to Norway. We are going to the Trollstigen and Borgund Stave Church before coming home.

I found this website a while back. Is it still valid?

http://www.mc-addict.com/budgettravelinnorway.htm

Any information would be welcome and sorry for hijacking this thread
Mortis (the Brit) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis (the Brit) View Post
JohnnyTH, how expensive? I'm thinking of coming over next year (2014) going to Sweden first and then across to Norway. We are going to the Trollstigen and Borgund Stave Church before coming home.

I found this website a while back. Is it still valid?

http://www.mc-addict.com/budgettravelinnorway.htm

Any information would be welcome and sorry for hijacking this thread
Looks like its still valid.
Best way for your hard erne money to see norway is to camp. In Norway you can camp anywhere as long as its not close to a home. Cant remember how far away you need to be. 200 meters or so. And you cant stay more then 2 nights. Hotells are expensive, expect to pay from £100 and up for a night. A Hytte (smal cabin) at camp sites about half. Resturants are expensive aswell. Stake dinner about £30 or more. Grocery stuff is not so bad i think. So if you camp and cook yourself, its not so bad
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
youngan OP
-------

Oddometer: 202
No worries on highjacking; all that has been discussed so far is related, and useful to me also. Let's keep a discussion going here on travel in this area. Thanks for the info, folks.

Andy
youngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
WimDH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I'm thinking about driving to the Nordkap in 2015...
You might want to check out the Atlantic Road
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
fenderbender8000
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Also thinking of going to Nordkapp soon on my new Suzuki Gleestrom. Went to Norway in 2009 on my Triumph Tiger and found the western fjords the most beautiful place on earth. Cannot wait to go back.yes it is a very expensive place for hotels, restaurants and alcohol. Take duty free booze and camp. The campsites are plentiful and well set up.
fenderbender8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Mortis (the Brit)
Seeker of the truth

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimDH View Post
I'm thinking about driving to the Nordkap in 2015...
You might want to check out the Atlantic Road
Oh yes, I forgot about the Atlantic Road. That bridge looks funky
Mortis (the Brit) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbender8000 View Post
Cannot wait to go back.yes it is a very expensive place for hotels, restaurants and alcohol. Take duty free booze and camp. The campsites are plentiful and well set up.
I agree with everything you say in that statement.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis (the Brit) View Post
Oh yes, I forgot about the Atlantic Road. That bridge looks funky
It looks better on pictures than in real life. Don't go way out of your way to see it.

You'll find loads of info, route suggestions, etc, here: http://ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228
ThorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
pfetter
TCretro

Oddometer: 47
Norway

I was in Norway for a month in 2011. Spent 3 weeks on the road with a couple friends from the Blue Knights. I borrowed a BMW F800GS. If you want scenery and twisty roads and mountains I would stay from Central to the West and North. We went from Bergen east through Sweeden then North through Finland back into Norway east to Russian border, then west and North to North Cape, then back sound on the western side of Norway. This was a trip of a lifetime for me. There was three of us so we mostly stayed in what they call Huts, the cost that way split three ways was not too bad especially with the wet and cool weather we had for three weeks. Food gas and alcohol are yes very expensive. Do not speed it can cost you dearly. If you need more specifics let me know and I can send pics etc. I would agree the Atlantic Road is better in pictures than in real life. Norway has to be one of the most beautiful countries on earth.
pfetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Well, Norway is great if you're looking for mountains and asphalt. If small gravel roads is what you are looking for - Baltics all the way (and it's way cheaper than Norway! ). Beautiful (but different) are both destinations. It's that simple.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote