Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
adcolor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Looking to sit on an SMT in Denver, Colorado

Hola!

Ok, got the SMT bug. I need to have my Frau take a sit on one with me. So I am looking for someone in the Front Range/Denver/ Colorado Springs area that would be willing to let us have a sit on one. I have only found one on a dealers floor, and that is on the other side of the state. I would prefer to find one closer to sit on before committing the time it will take to go look at this one -- and find it is so far out of contention ergonomically to have been a winter drive through the mountains (and have it be sucky weather). Plus, I have other things to do right now, and prefer to not waste the time.

Currently own a Triumph Thunderbird Sport (TBS). Great bike, but I need a bit more foot room and I need the bars more under me than out front. And I don't really like any of the adventure bikes looks. I can live with that, but the SMT speaks to me. Not a big fan of tech for the sake of tech (and yet I repair computers for a living). Simple improvements over the TBS: bars more to me and under me (and be easily replaced with different bends; neck issues), more foot/boot room, 30 more HP, same or less weight, passenger seat not elevated above rider. On paper the SMT meets these requirements. Oh, and less than $13k.

Rode a Ulysses. Liked the handling, plenty of room, ergos were right. But my wife put it this way: like riding an inspired lawn mower (that was the short and nice version). Since I really enjoy her riding with me (aside from being admonished for speeding), her opinion counts. Replacing the seat: I did that with the Triumph. I have now seen the light -- seats and shock/fork springs are often necessary to be replaced and should be considered a cost, just like replacing tires. Or, buying a saddle to fit you and the horse. Course it has to be at least in the right spot as there is just so much you can do to make it all fit.

adcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
adcolor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Also, comments from anyone that has toured two up on one.

1st tour impression:

Required modifications:

General size/weight of rider and (gulp) passenger:

Thanks!
adcolor is offline   Reply With Quote