Will this work for point felt lube?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by dm635, Mar 6, 2013.

1. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    Stopped to grab some maintenance items a couple days ago & had a question no one could answer. Guy called around and came back with die electric grease. Bought some since I needed it anyway. Have a set of points coming anytime now with other things, but they did not carry points lube. Will install new points & carry the originals as spares just to have a fresh set in. Supposed to be a good set of german made, we'll see.

And not to start a dreaded oil thread. Store had 4 brands of 20/50 M/C oil, but only 1 was dino oil, rest were synth. Bought the Valvoline. I run Castrol in my engines, maybe I should have looked around a little more.
  2. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using Castrol "4T" 20W50 SG. Seems to be the hot ticket for vintage BMW's, or so I'm told. Most of the local auto parts stores stock it; Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.

TINK
  3. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    Went to Advance & I think the Castrol did say 4T, but it was synthetic so I passed. I usually don't go to Advance for parts, only packaged stuff on the shelf.
  4. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Super-Lube with PTFE ??? Bought some of that not long ago and did some checking at the time. Good for contact breakers and......guns!:wink:

In the old days we used to get a little "pill" thing of lube with the new contact breakers on cars. Did not matter much really back then the "lube" as the plastic used could take engine oil/light machine oil, but apparently not so the newer types they'd break down if using engine oil.
  5. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I have the grease spec'd by BMW for this application. The correct grease for the points felt (and advance unit pivot pins) is so thick I can barely squeeze it out of the tube... On the other hand, the Bosch grease for the advance unit, where it rides on the cam, is very light.
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    The grease spec'ed by BMW for the points felt is Bosch Ft1v4;

[​IMG]

Capitol Cycle has been a good source for this over the years but the last time I tried to get some from there they were out of stock on it. If anybody is calling CC ask Tom when he thinks he'll have some?

Ft1v4 is a thick grease. It is used because it will tend to not get flung off the points cam and contaminate the points. If you use too thin a grease it may ruin the points if it gets on the contacts. Use sparingly whatever grease you use.

There are other points cam greases that have been found to be suitable;

[​IMG]

That price unfortunately is about what you are going to end up paying for a name brand points grease. Beware of the foreign car parts sites on the Web. I found Ft1v4 at several for this price but shipping was another 10 or 20 bucks.

If you have a NAPA store near you they have a grease they say is suitable for points cams. I got some. Forget the price but it was probably less than $10. You may like it. I don't think it's too great. The oil separates and it needs to be mixed by squeezing the tube. I'm using it but looking for something better.

Motobins may have the real thing in stock but I don't have a large enough order to call them.

edit;
    Actually what I posted last is my diatrabe concerning points cam felt lube but I didn't answer your question. Let me add; I have seen where other riders have used a Dielectric Grease for this. I don't know if it has been that good or bad. No reports from same riders of experience after some time in service. None that I recall anyway. If the DG gets on the contact points I think it would still cause problems. The points need to stay clean. The grease used should be thick.

It may work just fine. The Bosch product might be better. I'm still hoping to get some someday.
  7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Get the correct grease for the job. Too much danger in the wrong grease slinging off and fouling the points.

Mygrease-felt was worn on one side, so I drilled out the rivet, flipped it over and reattached with a small nut-and-bolt. I imagine that I could do without when it goes to nirvana.

--Bill
  8. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    one tiny tube is a lifetime supply ... don't lose it like I did mine :cry
  9. Stan_R80/7

Stan_R80/7 Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer:
    I eventually got some Mallory cam points grease : http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_cam-grease-mallory_22901018-p

The 'official BMW' Bosch greases are:

Breather lubricating felt/Centrifugal advance mechanism........Bosch Ft 1 v 4 grease

Centrifugal advance unit bearing shaft........Bosch Ft 1 v 26 grease

Capital Cycle and Motobins sells the former. I could not find anyone selling the Bosch Ft1v26 grease. I got the Mallory cam grease off ebay for a total cost ~$18.00.

The two greases are for two different purposes. The advance grease is for the centrifugal advance mechanism while the bearing shaft grease goes on the cam for the points. The felt, from my interpretation, is to wipe off any excess grease and the Bosch FT1V26 grease is a substitute for the Mallory cam grease (or vise versa).

Snowbum has some comments on the points grease and felt: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/ignitionsingleplug.htm
  10. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Replace with a used unit is one option. I bought several thru the years because I kept learning new things. Like the two tits on the points plate that are for the screwdriver and to use when adjusting dwell? These tits are really important. I had some worn out tits and all I can say is "never again". What a pain. I'd rather repair the cam felt.

Tiny nut and bolt, probably an M3? Maybe even smaller than that but it is repairable.
  11. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I think I used something like a #2-56 nut and bolt, maybe even smaller. When I wore those tits out I drilled and tapped the baseplate and Loctited in a couple of small setscrews. I wish that I'd squirrelled away an extra baseplate back when.

--Bill
  12. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies on this. I asked Capital Cycle for the correct grease while ordering parts. If they do stock it they are still out. I'll look around a little more. No hot rod shops close by. I'll keep looking & forget about the die electric unless some info concerning its use comes along. I'll stop by the Chevy dealer where I used to get it decades ago. Wish I still had a built 350 & the '69 Nova I drove for 14 years.
  13. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Any thick grease will work. The Bosch stuff was what BMW sold and recommended. If you rub a small dab of wheel bearing grease into the felt between your fingers it will last and work fine.