ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #6901
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the replies...

So how do you do a "fly and ride" legally? I don't think that you can get temporary tags at the BMV for a motorcycle that you do not have the title for, can you? From what I have been researching, it looks like to be legal you would have to do a trailer or truck and ride. Meaning go up to the bike with a truck or a can with a trailer and bring the bike home that way. I don't know.

I am looking for a BMW R1150GSA or R1200GSA, I am kind of set on the adventure model, becuase I am 6'4" so I think that bike would fit me better. Do any of the locals have any experiece or thoughts about the seat height difference between the GS and the GSA?

It seems like there are some ok deals right now for R12GS's and GSA's.

Basically if I buy it from out of state, get that title notarized at all costs.... And get a recepit for ~$250 no matter how much it cost! jk

Thanks!
-Jack

I was "that guy" who back in 2009 bought a 1986 Honda XL6R with no title, and after about 4 months was able to get a title for that sucker. I had to file a "petition" with the Court of Common Pleas in Cuyahoga County and everything, go before a magistrate, got a parking ticket. The magistrate person wanted my evidence that the PO lost the title and that it was not stolen, I told him that I wrote him multiple times and got no response. He agreed and sent me the paperwork to get it inspected to make sure that it was not stolen. Got the bike inspected at the state highway partol, once it "passed" took those papers to the title bureau over at like 480 at Broadway...I think, to get a title for it. The next weekend went and got the plates. I don't think that you can do that anymore, but I may be wrong. I had to do a total frame off restoration so I had the time to wait for the title non-sense to go through. Quite a process though.

Save yourself all the hassle and buy the 1200GS in Wooster. http://www.motorcyclesohio.com/bmwpreowned.html I looked at it saturday and have been dreaming about it since. It has a ton of nice parts.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #6902
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Ride it back with the PO's plates, and mail them to him later; or ride it back with a plate off your other - or your old - bike. You may be able to get a temp tag with a bill of sale in other states, but not in Ohio any more.

You don't have to get the title notarized unless that is a notarial state. Notarizing a title that doesn't require it may actually cause that title to be rejected. It's a fucked up process.
horribly, and it varies from title department to title department depending on what the workers at the title department actually know about the laws.

The last one I did was a Jeep from Illinois. Title wasn't notarized, just signed. I walked in with the Illinois title, my title inspection form, and walked out with an Ohio title.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #6903
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Save yourself all the hassle and buy the 1200GS in Wooster. http://www.motorcyclesohio.com/bmwpreowned.html I looked at it saturday and have been dreaming about it since. It has a ton of nice parts.
Not sure why, but I just can't picture you on a BMW......

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #6904
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
No doubt. WTF, Alan.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #6905
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
You don't have to get the title notarized unless that is a notarial state. Notarizing a title that doesn't require it may actually cause that title to be rejected. It's a fucked up process.
That's no lie. I usually wave cash at them and tell them no money until it's notarized. Been down that road before where a title skipped an owner.

You can also haul one back in a penske/hertz/etc cargo van or u haul.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #6906
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,970
Good to know, I just found a nice 350XCF in Pa for sale

Quote:
I was "that guy" who back in 2009 bought a 1986 Honda XL6R with no title, and after about 4 months was able to get a title for that sucker. I had to file a "petition" with the Court of Common Pleas in Cuyahoga County and everything, go before a magistrate, got a parking ticket. The magistrate person wanted my evidence that the PO lost the title and that it was not stolen, I told him that I wrote him multiple times and got no response. He agreed and sent me the paperwork to get it inspected to make sure that it was not stolen. Got the bike inspected at the state highway partol, once it "passed" took those papers to the title bureau over at like 480 at Broadway...I think, to get a title for it. The next weekend went and got the plates. I don't think that you can do that anymore, but I may be wrong. I had to do a total frame off restoration so I had the time to wait for the title non-sense to go through. Quite a process though.
Wow, all I had to do in Stark was submit my Plea, fee and a letter from Columbus that the bike wasn't titled in Ohio, 24 hours later I got a call to pick up my approved paperwork.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #6907
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Thats the problem I am having. I like the bike but it just seems to nice for me. Kinda like me in a Ferrari with Iron pony stickers on the rear window.

Quote:
No doubt. WTF, Alan.
The more youtube videos I watch the more I like it.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #6908
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:

So how do you do a "fly and ride" legally?....
If you have an existing Ohio motorcycle license plate, it counts as a 30 day tag on a newly purchased motorcycle.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #6909
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
If you have an existing Ohio motorcycle license plate, it counts as a 30 day tag on a newly purchased motorcycle.

Are you serious? I have never heard that before, not that you are wrong...but wow
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #6910
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,460
Quote:

Are you serious? I have never heard that before, not that you are wrong...but wow
It's legal if you are replacing one bike with the other. Not legal if you are keeping them both.

The bigger thing is, no one really gives a shit, so if you do it and get stopped, you politely explain that you just bought this bike, the tag is from your old bike, here's the paperwork, appreciate the courtesy, thanks officer, buh bye.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #6911
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:

So how do you do a "fly and ride" legally? I don't think that you can get temporary tags at the BMV for a motorcycle that you do not have the title for, can you? From what I have been researching, it looks like to be legal you would have to do a trailer or truck and ride. Meaning go up to the bike with a truck or a can with a trailer and bring the bike home that way. I don't know.

I am looking for a BMW R1150GSA or R1200GSA, I am kind of set on the adventure model, becuase I am 6'4" so I think that bike would fit me better. Do any of the locals have any experiece or thoughts about the seat height difference between the GS and the GSA?

It seems like there are some ok deals right now for R12GS's and GSA's.

Basically if I buy it from out of state, get that title notarized at all costs.... And get a recepit for ~$250 no matter how much it cost! jk

Thanks!
-Jack

I'm also 6'4" and ride a 2007 GSA. The bike will fit you well, but make no bones about it... it's a heavy beast.

The height of a GSA vs GS can vary since the seats have adjustable height settings. This post will give you a good idea of the seat height differences: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...15&postcount=1

I've owned a Sargent and a Russell Day Long saddle, and also tried out a Corbin. The Russell really adds some height and is very comfortable, but even as a tall person it gets a bit tedious in heavy traffic situations. Honestly, the stock seat is pretty good depending on your weight and inseam. Other ergonomic changes can make it very comfortable to ride, I've got 2" Rox Risers and Fastway F5 pegs in the low position which gives about an inch of lowering to relax the knee bend angle a bit.

I'm considering selling mine, so if you'd rather buy one in-state and are interested, shoot me a PM and we'll see where it goes.

Quote:
Thats the problem I am having. I like the bike but it just seems to nice for me. Kinda like me in a Ferrari with Iron pony stickers on the rear window.

The more youtube videos I watch the more I like it.
Take mine out for a spin. And let's get together so I can get that 17" Trakmaster to you that's been in my garage forever

dox screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 07:35 PM
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #6912
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post

Take mine out for a spin. And let's get together so I can get that 17" Trakmaster to you that's been in my garage forever
I can get it a little closer to him next weekend if you want, I'm sure to be at Mohican yet this month.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #6913
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I can get it a little closer to him next weekend if you want, I'm sure to be at Mohican yet this month.

Thanks for the offer. I need to upgrade the old DR650 this spring with a better road bike just not sure the BMW is the way to go.

Gorman if you dont mind picking up that tire that would be great. I was down that way last spring but didn't get the tire.

Nice bike Steve. Did you get it home?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #6914
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 997
Quote:

Nice bike Steve. Did you get it home?
Yes.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #6915
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Thanks for the offer. I need to upgrade the old DR650 this spring with a better road bike just not sure the BMW is the way to go.

Gorman if you dont mind picking up that tire that would be great. I was down that way last spring but didn't get the tire.
Hell, ride the Versys too. They are an excellent bike and hard to beat for what they sell for on the used market. It's not even remotely the same thing, but it's a damn good bike for the money.

I'll work with Gorman and get that tire up your way.