User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #1426
Muddy3
Muddy

Oddometer: 38
It passed!

Over the years I've had a few disagreements with the Colorado State Patrol about safe driving speeds and driving techniques, even heard a few horror stories lately about the inspection process. To say that I was a bit apprehensive, would have been an understatement. What I was treated to today, was a bright, knowledgeable, friendly, competent, motorcycle riding patrol officer named Greg. The inspection went off without a hitch. Greg was very complimentary about the quality and completeness of the build and my paperwork. Just 30 more days and I'll have a new title in my hands.

Here is some of the smoke and mirrors of what it weighs:

Seat- custom fiberglass pan, foam and suede/vinyl cover.

Wiring harness- completely removed and new one designed and installed by electrical engineer friend of mine. One harness for charging and ignition, and a Tusk harness and Dual Sport Switch to run the lights, turn signals and horn.

Battery/battery box- lighter, smaller battery with a custom minimalistic custom box.

Instruments- ICO Dualsport Speedo and a GPS mount is it.

Trail Tech Headlight.

Simple 2 into 1 collector pipe and lighter muffler.

Every frame tab not being used was removed.

And maybe most important is what's not there: No side stand, skid plate, tool kit or tool box. I'll add back the skid plate as soon as it's done.

Tomorrow is going to be stellar here, and I'm going riding!
Muddy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #1427
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
shaaaaawing!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #1428
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy3 View Post
Over the years I've had a few disagreements with the Colorado State Patrol about safe driving speeds and driving techniques, even heard a few horror stories lately about the inspection process. To say that I was a bit apprehensive, would have been an understatement. What I was treated to today, was a bright, knowledgeable, friendly, competent, motorcycle riding patrol officer named Greg. The inspection went off without a hitch. Greg was very complimentary about the quality and completeness of the build and my paperwork. Just 30 more days and I'll have a new title in my hands.

Here is some of the smoke and mirrors of what it weighs:

Seat- custom fiberglass pan, foam and suede/vinyl cover.

Wiring harness- completely removed and new one designed and installed by electrical engineer friend of mine. One harness for charging and ignition, and a Tusk harness and Dual Sport Switch to run the lights, turn signals and horn.

Battery/battery box- lighter, smaller battery with a custom minimalistic custom box.

Instruments- ICO Dualsport Speedo and a GPS mount is it.

Trail Tech Headlight.

Simple 2 into 1 collector pipe and lighter muffler.

Every frame tab not being used was removed.

And maybe most important is what's not there: No side stand, skid plate, tool kit or tool box. I'll add back the skid plate as soon as it's done.

Tomorrow is going to be stellar here, and I'm going riding!
Nice build I'm amazed and a little puzzled at the weight of it. I had a thread going here recently as was weighing my R80 GS as I pulled it to bits and I didnt think I would be able to get it under 185KG or 407lb. To lose another 50lb seems almost impossible.
Phreaky Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #1429
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 661
Great build.
Between the front end/seat (I'll have to steal that idea)/battery, not to mention the multiple missing bits, I can see the possibility of the weight claim. Nice to see on a scale though .
Have fun riding it!
S.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #1430
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Muddy3,

Very nice looking ride! Did you use the road legal Trail Tech light? I've got the regular one, and it's ok for light output. I'd like to wire it so both beams come on for the highs.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #1431
Muddy3
Muddy

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Muddy3,

Very nice looking ride! Did you use the road legal Trail Tech light? I've got the regular one, and it's ok for light output. I'd like to wire it so both beams come on for the highs.
Thanks. I have the halogen version and can't really speak to nightime use yet. I wired some 8" dual Baja Designs together on a past bike and loved the result off-road at night.
Muddy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #1432
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Muddy3,

Very nice looking ride! Did you use the road legal Trail Tech light? I've got the regular one
can you convert the 8" Trail Tech into dual-beam road legal light?

From what is found on the web the road conversion seemed to be just another headlight unit into the TT cage, rather than a mod to the light unit of the existing lamp.
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #1433
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post

From what is found on the web the road conversion seemed to be just another headlight unit into the TT cage, rather than a mod to the light unit of the existing lamp.
I think my friend Scott, ADV Boatman had a mod/kit for this. Check out his sig, theres a link
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #1434
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I think my friend Scott, ADV Boatman had a mod/kit for this. Check out his sig, theres a link
had seen this before and its a whole new headlamp into the TT cage

Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #1435
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:

I don't know about the 8" light, though I bet that would be really nice.

I was referring to the X2. http://trailtech.net/x2.html I also have the regular halogen Torch X2. It's not bad, but I had a dual 55w halogen on the bike before and that was killer. I didn't want to spring for the HID thinking it would not be ideal for road use. I hate being the recipient of HID light on the road.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #1436
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
I was just thinking about this, and realized that this is just a simple, halogen, incandescent bulb, right? So all you need to have high and low beams, is to order the 100W trail tech or baja, wire the high switch line straight, and wire the low switch through some sort of simple voltage regulation. Presto, dual beam light. Why do so many people go through tearing a $250 headlight apart, and then spend more money on replacement innards? Perhaps my assumptions are wrong, anyone?

Quote:

Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #1437
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post
I was just thinking about this, and realized that this is just a simple, halogen, incandescent bulb, right? So all you need to have high and low beams, is to order the 100W trail tech or baja, wire the high switch line straight, and wire the low switch through some sort of simple voltage regulation. Presto, dual beam light. Why do so many people go through tearing a $250 headlight apart, and then spend more money on replacement innards? Perhaps my assumptions are wrong, anyone?
It isn't high & low power.

It's is a bit more complex than that. High & Low beam are a function of the light source's position relative to the shape of the reflector, & also the cut of the lens.

In New Zealand the light must dip to the left so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers. There also needs to be a defined cut off to the beam, aimed below the oncoming driver's direct line of sight.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #1438
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
High & Low beam are a function of the light source's position relative to the shape of the reflector, & also the cut of the lens.
You are probably right that in most jurisdictions the rules are more detailed than simple beam strength. Although I have got to believe that a hi/low power switch would reduce your chances of getting pulled over by cops and is likely to slip through inspections unnoticed.

I remain surprised that Trail Tech don't offer a dual beam version of this light.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post
This seems like a smart way of trying to deal with the problem - any thoughts??

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 05:07 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #1439
Rose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Just fitted a 8" Trail tech unit to the airhead. No technical inspection for bikes over here, so I'm taking the risk of running a single beam...

I think it looks good on the airhead, a bit of eighties retro...:ymca

Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #1440
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Just fitted a 8" Trail tech unit to the airhead. No technical inspection for bikes over here, so I'm taking the risk of running a single beam...

I think it looks good on the airhead, a bit of eighties retro...
I agree, they look great on airheads

nice bike btw