Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoshum View Post
Sorry, my question about software was about the software to make the transfer from gpx to img? I use Mapsource for planning as well but then need something make the img file.

thanks.
I think you misunderstood him. The way I read it was that BigDog used one of the suggested programs in here (either the GPXtoImage or IMGfromGPX) to create a new map image overlay of all his tracks of Baja and then probably using MapSource loaded that map img onto his GPS which is just an overlay map that shows all the tracks. He didn't specify which one he tried, but I would imagine it was one of them suggested in here.

I had remembered reading about this awhile back about people making "layers" as map images with tracks to load on their GPS, but this program or one of them listed in here seems like it does the trick. I haven't played around with it yet, but am planning on it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoshum View Post
Sorry, my question about software was about the software to make the transfer from gpx to img? I use Mapsource for planning as well but then need something make the img file.

thanks.
How this works.

With mapsource ------I put all the tracks in Mapsource that I wanted to make the map image with.
I saved it as a .gpx file---------------GPX2img only works with .gpx files---------not .gdb

Then close mapsource-------GPX2img will not work with mapsource open.

Then I opened my GPX2img program--------and loaded that .gpx file I saved into it.

Then hit convert.

Now open mapsource------in the map pull down menu with all your other maps will be listed another map called
"GPX2img Map"

Now you can load that map image into your gps-----------along with other maps you have in mapsource if you like.

You need to load them all at once------not individually.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,197
Mark,

Thanks.

Question is it transpairent and show over other map like R & R on 60/76/62/78? From 1st page it looks like it is but how do you get it to overlay?

Jerry

Countdown screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 10:43 AM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Mark,

Thanks.

Question is it transpairent and show over other map like R & R on 60/76/62/78? From 1st page it looks like it is but how do you get it to overlay?

Jerry
When in Baja I had the Baja topo's loaded ----and the map image----and yes the topo was transparent ----and the map image was under it-------not sure if I explained that right-----------but I could plainly see both.

So no matter what maps you have loaded----the map image shows thru.

And with my garmin 276C I could turn off the map mage if I wanted to------or turn the topo off---whatever I wanted to do.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Another way

A shorter way to create the transparent map is to open gpx2img program, upper left drop down menu gives you the option to load gpx tracks. Keep adding all that you need, then save. The data is saved in mapsource as "gpx2img" so open mapsource, select all the maps you want from the drop down menu, including the "gpx2img" map and send to device (sd card or gps internal memory). Once transferred, you can select which map you want displayed on your gps including the gpx2img map (transparent) so you will have selected to 2 maps to be displayed on your gps. Since the gpx2img map is transparent (overlays the other map) you will not have any map conflicts displaying them.
There is a tutorial within the help file in the gpx2img program as well.
Hope this helps, and not hinder the discussion.
Cheers
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Question is it transpairent and show over other map like R & R
Jerry, this is the way to go for some of your big projects! I don't load tracks anymore, I use GPX2img pretty much all the time now.

You could put ALL of SMTS (or GWT, or Mex2Can, or even ALL of your track files together) on a single map overlay. Then load it onto the uSD card in your GPS along with R&R. Then copy that IMG file to other uSD cards or post that map file on the internet for anyone to copy themselves. Call it "Coundown's map to the World"!

My guess is such a SUPER map would load just fine into just about any Garmin, including Nuvi and Zumo.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
My guess is such a SUPER map would load just fine into just about any Garmin, including Nuvi and Zumo.
I didn't think about that at first, but this might actually work to load tracks onto a Zumo which normally turns tracks into routes.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Jerry, this is the way to go for some of your big projects! I don't load tracks anymore, I use GPX2img pretty much all the time now.

You could put ALL of SMTS (or GWT, or Mex2Can, or even ALL of your track files together) on a single map overlay. Then load it onto the uSD card in your GPS along with R&R. Then copy that IMG file to other uSD cards or post that map file on the internet for anyone to copy themselves. Call it "Coundown's map to the World"!.
Not exactly.

On rides, customer needs to turn on and off tracks as they ride.

On my big files like Death Valley on GPSXchange.com people need to cut and paste tracks t plan their trip then load into GPS (they could use it).

I think the big application is for OHV riding areas like Jawbone or Rand Mts with designated routes and many closed existilng routes. Some forest in the midwest has it available after travel management. Riders could just download the IMG file with no maps and have a good ride.

For my use, I think just moving up to 78 with 200 tracks of 2,000 points does what I want.

Good point on (useless to me) GPSs that don't take tracks like Zumo.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
IMGfromGPX

I've tried both programs but prefer IMGfromGPX - but you have to be on the internet when you use it.

You can name the map overlay when you build it, and you have to give each map overlay a unique map number.

The tracks (or routes, IMGfromGPX will also convert routes) will be the color you had selected in Mapsource unless you over ride it at compile time. So you could color code your main route in one color, and alternate routes in other colors depending on the difficulty.

Just to test things out I built a really big overlay - TAT, TCAT, TET, CDR, PCQ - which came in at 1.4mb!

I've loaded overlays on NUVI's and they worked fine.... which is a good deal since you can't do much else with them.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

One more use for gpx2img

My favourite use for gpx2img is creating an image of the baja 1000 route, which is well over several thousand track points. My poor CSx only likes 500 or less, so trail detail is severely compromised.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Gpx2img question

I purchased the gpx2img program, went through all the steps to add the map to my Garmin 76CSX. When I pushed transfer to load it into the GPS a window popped up and said that I was about to delete Garmin data that was preloaded in the gps. I am assuming that it meant the micro sd card data City Navigator 2012? The prompt said they recommended not to continue.
Any ideas?

I figured if Big Dog could do it anyone could? LOL
Guess not
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
GPX2img

I have an old Nuvi and didnt care if it did delete the data on it so I tried it. Data loaded fine and shows up good. All my tracks are there.
Wonder if I need to remove the City Navigator micro sd and try to load it then?
I didnt get the prompt that said I was going to delete data with it. It all went smooth.
Only got the prompt with my 76CSX.
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #28
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

transferring maps

The only map on your 76csx is loaded on the micro sd card. That will be City Navigator. If you purchased CN on a SD card only, you cannot load the gpx2img map with it. Mapsource will want to delete the original map and replace with the new gpx2img map.
If you have City Navigator loaded on your computer and have a license for your CN linked to your 76csx, then you can load the gpx2img file to your gps... BUT, you'll have to re-send CN along with any other maps you want, gpx2img, topo maps etc. They will transfer to your SD card and replace anything that's on it. That's why everyone recommends to copy what's on the original SD card to your desktop, disc or whatever FIRST. Or, use a new SD card. The new image will contain all the maps you transfered, including gpx2img. You don't have to have your gps plugged into your computer, you can transfer directly to you SD card plugged into your computer card slot. It transfers a lot faster.
Just so you know, on the SD card, you will only have one image (gmapsupp.img) that contain all the maps or map that you transferred by mapsourse.

Your Nuvi has an internal memory, which has the original map written to, so I think when you transferred gpx2img to it, it wrote to the SD card, otherwise you would've had the warning that you were about to delete the map. The map in the interanl memory is called gmapprom.img and the map on the sd card is called gmapsupp.img

Some use Basecamp, but I prefer mapsource to transfer maps and tracks.

There's a bit of a tutorial on http://www.gpx2img.com/ website.

Hope this makes some sense.... Maybe Mark (BigDog) can chime in to explain it a bit better.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudelum48 View Post
I purchased the gpx2img program, went through all the steps to add the map to my Garmin 76CSX. When I pushed transfer to load it into the GPS a window popped up and said that I was about to delete Garmin data that was preloaded in the gps. I am assuming that it meant the micro sd card data City Navigator 2012? The prompt said they recommended not to continue.
Any ideas?

I figured if Big Dog could do it anyone could? LOL
Guess not
Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
jrsue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
It sounds like you're only loading the gpx2img map to your gps only, using mapsource. You have to send all the maps you want at one time. What I mean is when you've opened mapsource and your gps is connected to your computer, use the drop down menu and open the GPX2IMG MAP, highlight the entire map of the track you want load with Map Tool. It should now be displayed in the left column. Use the drop down menu again, pick the next map you want i.e. city navigator or roads and rec, highlight the areas you want and they too should be shown in the left column in mapsource. Hit the Send to Device button and all the maps in the left column will transfer to your gps. Once the magic is performed, disconnect your gps. Turn it on, Tap Tools, Settings, Map, Map Info, and check off the maps you want displayed, including the transparent map of gpx2img. Back out of the menu and View Map. You should have the gpx2img map overlaying the city nav or roads and rec map.

You should be able to send the gpx2img map data to an sd card from your computer using mapsource. The image on the sd card will be in a folder named "garmin" and the image will be named "gmapsupp"
Put the sd card in the gps card slot, and follow the above directions fo display the gpx2imp map as well as the city nav or other map you want. This should work if you haven't erased the original map you have on the internal memory of your gps.
Hope this helps....
Thanks , This was what I was NOT doing. All I needed was to highlight the gpximg map with the map tool along with any other county maps. (roads and rec)

Still using this little program (gpx2img) it works great with my 376's with their 15 track limit. I can easily load up 40 or more tracks using the img file, and then load an additional 15 standard trks.
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #30
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Big Dog just told me about this (GPX2IMG) the other day and I like it.
I do have a problem thou. I have a nuvi 500 and loaded a pic image on it, very easy. Map shows up but when I zoom in it disappears. I have only been able to get it to show down to 1.2miles with least detail and 8miles with more detail.

I have tried different settings with no difference.

Got any ideas? Thanks